walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter has arrived!

Winter has arrived!

Postby iainwatson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 am

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 27/11/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1233m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After checking the forecast for Saturday which was for 40-60mph winds,gusting to 70-90mph,snow and rain with a 30% chance of cloud free tops i decided that as i hadnt been out in two weeks that i was going to go for it and the Eassains ridge was the one for me.
Cue sleeping in till 9:30am on the saturday so my plans were knocked back by 24hrs which ended up no bad thing,the weather report was no different for sunday and i was up and away for 6am for the 3h30m drive to Fersit.As it was dark until i reached Fort William i didnt really know what the tops of the hills were like,would there be snow? would it rain all day? but on departing Fort William for Fersit i could see that the majority of hills were snowcapped and my excitement grew,you see winter is my best time of year for walking,a time when,for me,the hills look more like mountains and the scenery becomes even better and the hills also become quieter....just as i like it!

I arrived at the car park further on from the Loch and followed the track toward the dam,turning off at the fork and following it for another wee while before noticing a path that would take me into the hillside,i say path but it was more of a boggy burn to be honest so the choice of winter boots was a good one-dry feet all day!
DSC02800.JPG
Meall Cian Dearg

I followed the path up to the start of the ascent of Meall Cian Dearg,and briefly it started to snow-yipee!! there is a decent path that snakes up the hill although i did cross one extremely boggy section here but i made good time and soon the views toward the two Munro's opened up and what a view it was! both tops were covered in snow and i now had fantastic views to the Grey Corries and Stob Ban but it did strike me how dark the sky was over these hills and i realised whether it was rain of snow,it was heading my way.
DSC02811.JPG
the Grey Corries

DSC02808.JPG
heading to Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

DSC02817.JPG
the arrival of the blizzard

DSC02820.JPG
Loch Treig

I continued on and at around 900 odd metres the dark sky swept in on top of me,the wind was as strong as i've ever felt on a hill and i found myself in the middle of a blizzard which was stinging my face as i struggled to stay upright so i decided to sit it out hoping it would pass and after about 5 minutes it did,much to my joy as the first summit was clear and i was keen to get there before the cloud or snow came back in.Shortly after i reached the summit of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and the views were breathtaking!
DSC02827.JPG
the summit of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

DSC02822.JPG
looking toward Stob Coire Eassain

DSC02830.JPG
looking to the next target,Stob Choire Eassain

but with the wind still trying to push me over i retreated to the side of the hill to get some shelter and have some coffee,admiring Stob Coire Eassain as the blizzards came and went over it,watching as it dissapeared and re-appeared.I then set off for the next summit,which is really close but it ended up taking me an hour and a half due to the winds which were now much stronger as i approached the bealach and again i had to just hunker down when it was uneasy to stand up and let the worst pass before setting off again.Soon after i reached the top of Stob Coire Eassain
and just as i touched the cairn another blizzard enveloped me and this made hard work of trying to get a summit picture as everytime i set the camera down with the timer on the camera kept getting blown off the rock i had it perched on,cue many many attempts at this and eventually i got what i was after
DSC02838.JPG
1st attempt at summit pic during the blizzard on Stob Choire Eassain

DSC02840.JPG
after many attempts,a summit pic on Stob Choire Eassain

so i hastily retreated down the path a bit so i could have my lunch and take in the views of Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin which looked awesome in its winter setting.
DSC02841.jpg
Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin from sStob Choire Eassain

Not long after i headed down to the bealach and had a choice to make,go down the path into the glen and around the hillside toward the van or take on another ascent of Stoba'Choire Mheadhoin,i chose the latter although i did find this hard going and my legs were starting to tire from wearing much heavier boots but i plodded on and was up and over the summit and heading back down the way i came up.The only thing of note on the way back was finding the path down Meall Cian Dearg,i reckon there is quite a few different paths here and i ended up on the N/NE side which was steep,wet and slippy but i took my time and arrived safely on the path which led me back to the track,then back to the van.
DSC02851.JPG
descent route down Meall Cian Dearg

DSC02854.JPG
Loch Treig and the dam

DSC02856.JPG
the stats

her is a short video clip i took on the walk [youtube]youtu.be/INspz-U8Mhc[/youtube]
All in all this was probably the walk of the year so far for me and i look forward to many more days having fun in the snow,

winter has officially arrived for me-bring it on!
Last edited by iainwatson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Winter has arrived!

Postby Ladylou2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Great Report - really enjoyed reading it.

I especially like the summit photos - brilliant. :lol: Reminds me of a few trips last year.

I have been looking at trying these 2 hills for a while and will hopefully manage in the not too distant future.
Ladylou2
Hill Bagger

Munros:129   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby Alastair S » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Nice one Ian - hard but rewarding work by the look of it. The summit photo of you on Stob Choire Eassain is a classic of its type :lol:

"Winter has arrived!" - unfortunately it seems to have buggered off again! No sign of the blocking high pressure over the near continent shifting any time soon :(
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Fudgie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:48 pm

I did those two in 1997 although fortunately it was a gorgeous summers day :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby soulminer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:51 pm

A fine old medley of pictures, a cracking pair of hills to boot. Did you say it was snowing :lol: ?
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Another brilliant report Iain :thumbup:

Despite the dreadful conditions you always seemed to be in control- very reassuring :D :D

Lots of cracking photos but my fave has got to be the one with the snow flying past your face. A bit sore for you but a treat for us :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby darren » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:25 pm

I noticed your Garmin etrix i have one, the only thing I find useful with it is height reading. Can you use it to get you to summit on cloudy day. How do you input walk routes
darren
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:2

Postby iainwatson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:52 pm

cheers all, :D it was a super day!
polly- i never ever get flustered when i'm out and i've done alot of solo walking in terribly bad conditions,the etrex gives me the confidence to do this as i can never get lost(theoretically,lol) and i feel i have enough common sense to deal with bad conditions,as for the summit pic...i was loving it but annoyed that i couldnt get the camera to sit long enough to get a photo :lol:

darren- i use it for grid reference's to check where i am on the map if the cloud is in on me,checking i'm on the correct summit or you can input summit co-ordinates in advance by
1-go to mark waypoint(i think) and press enter
2-scroll down to the co-ordinates and press enter
3-now manually input the grid ref of the summit(or any particular point you want to head for) and press 'ok'(note what no. of waypoint it is)
4-go to waypoints and when you find the one you want,click it and select 'go to' it'll point you as the crow flies mind you but also gives you the distance to your waypoint and expected time of arrival
i wouldnt be without it now :D
my explanation may be a bit off as i dont have mine with me at the moment to refer to
you can also download routes from WH but i've tried with no luck
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Postby darren » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Cheers mate. That's what i always thought about summit co-ordinates it will obviously take you in straight line. You yourself would have to pick the route there, do you find the co-ordinates you are reading of unit are close to actual position
darren
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:2

Postby iainwatson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:30 pm

yeh,its pretty accurate to about 5m or so

i get the co-ordinates from a munro book i've got(by cicerone)
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Looks a little chilly up there Iain and good to get out in conditions like that. I'm half hoping to get these two done before the end of the year
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mgmt! » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 pm

well done on getting anything done with the weekend forcasts. im not too sure about winter having arrived just yet though, well done again.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Ha ha,like the 1st attempt at summit pic Iain,well done on sticking those 2 out,yet to do these ones,would they be straight forward enough on a good winter,s day?
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:21 pm

You are one commited walker Iain 8) . Also love the blizzard summit shot :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby jonny616 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Love the picture of you mid blizard. Great report
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland