walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin

Beinn Alligin

Postby monarchming » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 16/09/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We made the trip up to Torridon on Monday and hoped to go out on Tuesday but due to very low cloud we decided to give it a miss until the next day.We got up the next morning with the cloud above the summits so it was all systems go for a classic day.I had climbed Beinn Alligin before by ascending up Coire nan Laogh but this time we took the option of going over the Horns first.
mountains 145.jpg
The days work in front of us

The weather was really good with a slight breeze and some of the mountains in the distance were a bit hazy but the views were mostly fine.As we started going over the Horns we only seen one other person which turned out to be the only other person we would meet all day.
mountains 148.jpg
On the Horns

The last time I was on this mountain I had witnessed my only cloud inversion so it was good to see all of Beinn Alligin this time and some of the views do take your breath away.
mountains 150.jpg
mingsmissus enjoying the scenery

mingmissus was moving well so we headed up for Sgurr Mhor but stopping for another couple of pics in between.
mountains 156.jpg
The Horns with Beinn Dearg in the background
mountains 165.jpg
Eag Dubh

It took us just under an hour from the summit of Sgurr Mhor to Tom na Gruagaich with a few stops trying to take in so many great views of Beinn Eighe,Liathach and surrounding peaks.
mountains 169.jpg
Beinn Eighe
mountains 170.jpg
Liathach
It was a fab day and with mingsmissus getting her 9th and 10th Munro along with great weather it really was worth the long drive to Torridon.
mountains 174.jpg
monarchming at Tom na Gruagaich
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Re: Beinn Alligin

Postby AndrewP » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:25 am

So that's what the view looks like from the top!
We were there, but couldn't see much from either munro.
Compare Eag Dubh, for instance...
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:23 am

Nice report, like the Liathach shot. Sgurr Mhor of Beinn Alligin is the most prominent peak on the mainland when looking from the coast at Staffin - and it certainly has great views.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby AndrewP » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Hey, and I wanted to respond to your comment about the long drive to Torridon.
Maybe so, but isn't it a great drive?! Either way there is really spectacular.
Torridon area is really some of the most spectacular parts of Scotland you'll see from a car.
AndrewP

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Mick Fowler - a top mountaineer - used to be a tax inspector living in London. About a decade ago he was doing lots of new routes in the Torridon area and used to drive up after work on a Friday night, taking shifts with his mate on driving or sleeping in the passenger seat. On arrival in Torridon it'd be straight onto the hill until Sunday dusk, then the same thing all the way back to London. A shower (I hope) and back into work...
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Nice report. Lovely pictures.I am going to torridon next week so hope I get as good weather as you guys had. :D
monty

Postby monarchming » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:55 pm

That's right Paul about Mick Fowler and for all his climbing exploits he has always stuck to his day job.Yes Andrew it's a fine drive especially when the sun is shining.Hope the weather stays good for you monty and you get plenty of time on those fine mountains. :)
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby goth_angel » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:28 pm

We did these a few days beforehand, though we didn't do the Horns. No views from the top of Tom na Gruagaich but wonderful elsewhere. Fantastic walk but one for a good day definitely. :D
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland