walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean from the north

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean from the north

Postby bio-man » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:39 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 31/08/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First part of a 2-dayer that took in Beinn Dubchraig and Ben Oss yesterday.

For me, the southern starting point for the route is not the best one for these two hill. It is, however, the best for Ben More and Stob Binnein, as it takes out the slog up the steeps slopes of Ben More from Crianlarich. I caught the afternoon train to Crianlarich and walked about 2km back down the A82 to a point just before the lay-by and a path that takes you under the railway. The lay-by is an excellent starting point for these two hills and for An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin as well. Follow the track alongside the River Falloch, until just beyond the forest on the left, where a track takes you down to the river. Cross the bridge, then east up the slopes to Grey Height. Turn SE and up to Meall Dhamh. This is where I pitched the tent, then headed towards Cruach Ardrain. There's an path downhill to a col then up the steep slopes to Cruach Ardrain. There is a false summit which is definetely confusing in poor visibility. There are 2 cairns here, but the summit is NE and a short distance away. There is one cairn at the summit. Ben Tulaichean lies further south. Back to the col, past the cairns and there's grassy ridge to the summit. Prior to this, I took in the top of Stob Garbh which can also be part of an excellent circular route, dropping down to the track in the forestby the Allt Coire Ardrain.

Only disappointment was the cloud cover at sunrise!! Packed up then down to the tea-room at the station for breakfast, where I met my mate Dougie, then on, by car to Dalrigh.
Attachments
Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean2.jpg
Taken from An Caistel Apr06
Ben Oss and Beinn Dubchraig2.jpg
Taken from An Caistel Apr06 when I'd just got my new camera!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:54 pm

Good to see someone's managed to get up hills during the miserable August! I was suprised at first to see the snow in your pics before realising they were from an earlier trip.

We did this one from the south to avoid having to reascend Cruach Ardrain from Beinn Tulaichean. Likewise Stob Binnein & Ben More from the north; the southern route is definitely the best for Stob Binnein but I'm not sure I'd wanted to climb all the way back over Stob Binnein when returning from Ben More. Great to hear about different routes.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Postby bio-man » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Ah!! sorry about that!! The cloud was low during the afternoon and didn't change much later in the evening. Biggest disappointment for my first summit camp for a while happened at 5am when I peeked out the tent and couldn't see anything!! Straight back to sleep!

The Ben More and Stob Binnein route descended the same as the sites. A descent into Inverlocharig Glen but turning south back to the village.
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland