walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windswept and Interesting

Windswept and Interesting

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 27/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1011m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were windswept,the hill was interesting!!

Having looked at the forecast of storm force wind,rain,snow and pockets of sunshine we decided the conditions would be the best we've had yet. :lol: This was to be our second Munro,with our last four walks somewhat Clag orientated !!

We'd bagged the Cobbler and Beinn Narnain two weeks proir to this in Claggy conditions,so the hope of seeing something today was high.

Us 1-4 Clag. Mind you with the weather that day,no wonder the clag couldn't be bothered turning up. :D

Set off from home at 06.30,picking up Martin en route. The drive round to Arrochar brought the usual hazard of deer and a few branches off trees from the nights storms. We were first in the carpark and just as we parked up,down came the first shower. We waited for it to pass before getting ourselves ready to hit the hill. Its was waterproofs from the start to the end. By the time we were setting off from the carpark another two cars had arrived....at least we weren't the only mad people about. :think:

Settin off we said our hello to who we now know as Mountainlove. Up the zigzag path and onto the open hill........ah the Cobbler. We stopped,to get a few pics and a wee drink. By this time the two guys behind us passed by,followed by Mountainlove.

Back at Ben Lomond

A few more shots as we got closer,maybe a bit camera happy,but since we missed it last time 8) There was a slight dusting of fresh snow/hail.

The sun started to rise behind us

We continued on the path looking behind,wondering why it was gettin darker !! The snow/hail showers were getting blown in thick n fast.

Shower almost past

Another shower so we sheltered for a bit watching them blow in and out.

Snow shifting over the Cobbler.

We were almost at the split in the track. By this time the wind was almost stopping any forward progress and the hail stones took a layer of skin off our faces ! The ruksack cover got put away as they were acting as sails no matter what we tried.

Off we set towards Beinn Ime. The wind was taking our breath away and walking poles had a mind of their own !
Showers that were never far away passing over the Summit . The bottom section of track was pretty wet underfoot,and with the wind against us made for a pleasant ascent......Not. :lol: Taking pictures turned into a challenge as trying to hold the camera still was a nightmare.

Yet again as we looked behind the showers moved on.

Moving up the hill there was a strange calmness all of a sudden,it was good to not feel the wind for a while as we walked bellow the ridge.
Clearing up ahaed.

Told him not to play in the snow !!!! Fool. :lol:

Conditions under foot weren't as bad as expected,no slips or slides to report. We carried on,and whilst looking towards the summit we noticed a red object in the sky :wtf: Just round the next rock we met Mountainlove so stopped for a wee talk. It was her ruksack cover we'd seen. !!

On we went and couldn't believe it,we had made it to the top......................with a view to enjoy !!!!

One for the Catalogue............. Avon ?

Took 4 attempts to get this pic due to camera blowing over.........not sure if was worth the effort :lol: If anyone wants to print it off and use it to keep the kids away from the fireplace,feel free !!

That was it,another in the bag. So much for no Munro's till the new year :D

Narnain and Cobbler

That was us,heading back the way we came,passed 3 other walkers heading up Ime as we headed down. But they never lifted their heads as they battled with the elements. Mat a group of 5 just coming off Narnain as well,so another wee chat then we headed off back down the track.

We got to the Dam and stopped for the last drink before getting off the hill,the Cobbler was lookin clear. Also met quite a few people just heading up the hill,this was just before 14.00,glad we weren't heading up at that time of day. We even passed someone runnin up.....show off :lol:

Back at the car we were visited by, you know who..................thought the wee fecker was coming home with us in the car.

Heading home we stopped for a picture...........'we've had you' !!!

A great day again,really liked this walk due to the extreme weather and ever changing light. Oh,and the fact we could actually see something for a change :D Good times :D
I've got Martins pitures here,but can't get photobucket to upload em :( ,so will ad em later.

Cheers.
Last edited by smiffysmc on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Windswept and Interesting

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:00 pm

well done Smiffy, i never tire of seeing great pics of the cobbler
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Nice one smiffy,looks like an epic,some great pictures too :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Really enjoyed seeing your pictures as well and enjoyed the report...well done again getting out to do your second Munro on a day like this....specially (as I remember you saying) you dont do snow...wait until you have your first proper snow walk...the pictures you will get are just amazing...its so pretty and will make you see the mountain in another light.

Had to laugh about your comment
By the time we were setting off from the carpark another two cars had arrived....at least we weren't the only mad people about. :think:
....I had a similar thought when I saw your car and the other :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:07 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:well done Smiffy, i never tire of seeing great pics of the cobbler

We were just happy to see it after last visit. :lol:

pigeon wrote:Nice one smiffy,looks like an epic,some great pictures too :thumbup:

Hopefully get new camera if i'm gonna keep this walking stuff up. One that does those fancy panoramic pics 8)

Mountainlove wrote:....specially (as I remember you saying) you dont do snow...wait until you have your first proper snow walk...the pictures you will get are just amazingHad to laugh about your comment

Snow on the hill we can handle,it's when its on the road we really suffer..........

Some if Martin 'Ray Mears' pictures.....

Ben Lomond

Cobbler,just for you tomyboy73

Clear Beinn Ime after descent

smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Fudgie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:10 am

It looks pretty much the same weather I had over on Meall Ghaordaih. I had thought about about heading for the Arrochar Alps but my friend suggested we head elsewhere. It's funny how we seem to have enjoyed the wild weather yet people back down here think I'm mad for going out in it :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby iainwatson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 am

well done on getting out and managing the summit in the weather, :D

as mountainlove says.....you'll love the proper walks in the snow when there is bright blue skies and the sun is out
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby smiffysmc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:59 pm

As Billy Connolly said, 'There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing' :lol: Dont mind it out on hill as long as i stay dry and warm,the extemes are enjoyable..........and getting back to the car feels even better.

Can anyone recommend a Munro for a snow walk ? A nice easy one to break us in gently,one we will not perish on. Bearing in mind we have no crampons and i only have a set of microspikes for the icy stuff. Something as close to Argyll as possible :)

Cheers.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Well done for sticking with it and getting to the top. Done that one in nice weather and found it a bit of a slog up from the bhealach as it was really boggy. Would have been twice as bad with the weather you had. Like the pics too. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:14 am

well done..love the pics of the cobbler
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland