walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Strike ,Gaor Bheinn a Black Eye and hellish bad weather

The Strike ,Gaor Bheinn a Black Eye and hellish bad weather

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Route description: Gulvain, near Kinlocheil

Munros included on this walk: Gulvain

Date walked: 01/12/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cha b’e là na gaoithe là nan sgolb "The windy day is not the day for thatch-wattles"

Weather wise the Gaidhealtachd has been akin to something from the apocolypse recently with hurricanes/rain/gales/hurricanes/gales /rain /rain and more gales :(

I m no a lover of the Con Dems nor that foreign parliament in London, so when Colla's pension is being robbed he is going to strike and head to the hills........ until he can place where he buried that rifle :)
So Wednesday my picket line was air a mhullach Gaor Bheinn. or "Gulvain" as the Sassainach would have her called :? but there is no V in the Gaelic alphabet and since we named her i ll stick to Gaor Bheinn "the mountain of noise "

I m only an hour from Ceann loch Ial, so off we set at 7.45am and aye it was windy but not to wet ,the forecast predicted the rain /snow was coming in later in the day. so i was keen to summit for midday at the latest

DSCF3635.JPG
Gleann Fhionn Lighe is Gaor Bheinn

It is a long way in through the Gleann Fionn Lighe but pleasant enough ,with good track and skittery bridges...... I hit the last one near Na Socachan and came off the bike managing somehow to poke my walking pole into my eye :( .....well myself and the dog had the fright right enough, my my eye although still in the socket was pretty sore and after a sit down and a roar... we set off up the hill .

Tha an t side math gu leor fathast ..... the weather was ok dry but the céo was hanging at about 600m so i did nt expect any views however there seemed plenty snow above 700m so i was keen to get into it .

DSCF3639.JPG
An rathad Suas

Its a slog right enough up to the Leac a Chaigin steep and unrelenting and I hit the snow field at the predicted 700 it was thick enough but pleasant to walk in although i could see cáil / nothing :)

DSCF3640.JPG
A cú anns a ' sneachd

DSCF3641.JPG
Sneachd agus abair seallaidh !

The wind was stirring by now so i was keen to cráic on and reach the false summit /trig point and after poking about carefully to get my bearing i reached it as the wind hit gale force at 12pm :shock:

DSCF3642.JPG
Cárn Gaor Bheinn

I had to make the decision whether to go for the true summit the wind was howling and hail was stinging the old face and you could see about 10mtrs decision made i took a quick fixed bearing from false to true summit and dropped down onto the bealach and mercifully but temporarily out the wind

Bha an gaoith a tighinn bho deas .... the gale was blowing from the South East so periodically along the druim to the true summit the wind was horrendous and a wee bit scary with heavy hail/snow/rain showers :shock:

The dog kept dropping to the lea on the final narrow expose ridge onto the true summit there were cornices formed out of the snow and a good drop to the West ,so he went on the laritt , i found it hard to keep my feet on this last ridge but finally made the big cárn and the true summit and hid behind it to get a breath :D

DSCF3643.JPG
Cárn Mor 982

By this time it was temporary white out, we huddled had tea and cold boiled eggs waiting for the lull to nip back along that cáic wee exposed ridge When the lull came we took our opportunity and after taking a bearing back to the false summit we reached it without any great hassles with another lull bringing better visibility.

At the false cárn the wind had got to horrendous stage again and it kinda drove me off the hill to the SE because i could nt see anything i did nt notice until i dropped into the sheltered corries rather than down the shoulder i had come up :?

I got a wee bit confused and misread the GPS which confounded my initial mistake so i came safely down out the céo to a where the feck is this kinda view :lol: ...... in the East corries !! . It cost me 25mins heading along very wet ground to get to the origonal start point at Na Sochachan......the bike was gratefully mounted and we made a quick soaking getaway out to Ceann Loch Iall.

So ,tha sin e mo caraidean .. its a long haul Gaor Bheinn be careful of skittery bridges and exposed summits if you venture onto her this Geamhradh and take the bike for the haul in and out.

Epilogue
By the time i started driving my súil / eye was shut and by the time i reached home i could nt see ,a trip to the docs today and i now resemble long jon silver another day off...... but no no hills :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: The Strike ,Gaor Bheinn a Black Eye and hellish bad weat

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Well done for taking the opportunity to get out and bag one. Pity about the weather at the top. And I for one am right behind all you strikers :) You won't get me I'm part of the union, you won't get me....................... :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Ouch that sounds sore poking your pole in your eye. Good job it wasn't your axe! :shock:

Well done to your dog - he's hardy. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Bod » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:25 pm

Ah.....great I enjoyed that, and what good use of your day. I was off work too and had similar thoughts, but opted instead to visit my parents. It's amazing, I am missing the hills and its only been 12 days or so since we last got out there! Thanks for sharings, cheers the noo :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Bod wrote:Ah.....great I enjoyed that, and what good use of your day. I was off work too and had similar thoughts, but opted instead to visit my parents. It's amazing, I am missing the hills and its only been 12 days or so since we last got out there! Thanks for sharings, cheers the noo :D

My last was on the 16th Nov......Aye its like that im out in the forests every day workwise which is worse ... on a good day you want to nip off and up :lol:

Taing
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

dogplodder wrote:Ouch that sounds sore poking your pole in your eye. Good job it wasn't your axe! :shock:

Well done to your dog - he's hardy. :D

A West Highland x Patterdale terrier completely untrainable in regards to other four legged craturs or for that matter anything that moves :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby 147cjl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Fairplay, a good walk on a harsh old day, let alone with a poke in the eye..and look forward to learning some more Gaelic from your reports. You've got me thinking how many of our mountains now have anglo names... :)
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby kevsbald » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:07 am

Well done that man. Your reports are very informative - I should really start Gaelic lessons - Gaor Bheinn it is! The first pic of your dog is very odd - doesn't look like a dog.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:00 pm

147cjl wrote:Fairplay, a good walk on a harsh old day, let alone with a poke in the eye..and look forward to learning some more Gaelic from your reports. You've got me thinking how many of our mountains now have anglo names... :)

not to many and lets keep it that way a bhalaich :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:03 pm

kevsbald wrote:Well done that man. Your reports are very informative - I should really start Gaelic lessons - Gaor Bheinn it is! The first pic of your dog is very odd - doesn't look like a dog.

I suppose being a Westie/Patterdale x he is no a normal dog :D he bags munros with ease and usually has energy to still chase stags at the end of a long hard day :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby helenw » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Well done that man. Your reports are very informative - I should really start Gaelic lessons - Gaor Bheinn it is! The first pic of your dog is very odd - doesn't look like a dog.

At first glance I thought it was a goat - must get eyes tested :(
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby monty » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Nice report Collaciotach
Sounds like a hard walk in the conditions but you had to poke yourself in the eye to make it harder :lol: :lol:

Nice photos too. :D
monty

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:04 pm

well done. i done this one in july and took the bike too but had a glorious day. i thought about walking too on wednesday but went to the wet and cold rally instead :(
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland