walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Weather Window on the Buachille Eite Beag

A Weather Window on the Buachille Eite Beag

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 03/12/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

When Deirdre was born, Cathbad the druid prophesied that she would be beautiful, but that kings and lords of Alba and Eirnn would go to war over her ...
So mentioned is the Gleann Eite where Naoise and Deirdre hid from the wrath of Conchobar ,not quite the scene of the Fenian Cycle this Dúbhlachd (December) morning and no sign of the lover's ! ... i guess the gales may have blown them away such has the wind been in the Gaidhealtachd lately :)

I had noticed the "uinneag an t -side" last night and although the wearing of lead boots may be to an advantage i had decided to make the short trip to Gleann Comhann early with a view to being on the mullach of Stob Coire an Raineach before 10am as the rest of the day looked as we say "mossach" or ....ach well there is no direct translation of this word it just means kinda hellish :lol:

Arrived at the wee car park at with the cú and Colla suitably dressed we headed off up the lairig and clear tops to view indeed

DSCF3651.JPG
Aonach Eigeach

Tha an gaoith laidir gu dearbh .... the wind was strong however a good path underfoot gave for good time although the cú in the tradition of Brann (Fionn Mac Cumhails dog) decided the hinds of the lairig were worthy of his attention and gave magnificent chase, while his master bawled hopelessly into the gale ... it cost Colla a good 15mins before he restored the pecking order of the day :D

that aside we soon made the bealach

DSCF3655.JPG
bealach Stob Coire an raineach

DSCF3656.JPG
"brann"

DSCF3662.JPG
Suas

Uill nuair a bha sin a coiseachd ...it was hellish windy on this exposed spot, after a wee skulk behind a convienent rock i took a bearing to the mullach and started the trudge upward with good firm snow and no end of sleamhag ice underfoot. For the most part the gaoith tried to push us down the lairig Gartain ,by skulking to the Gartain side we avoided the worst gusts. There was good visibility right enough and nice views all round if you dared to take the súil off the slippy slope and quickkly we hit the mullach :D

DSCF3674.JPG
Air a mhullach stob coire an rainnaich

DSCF3683.JPG
Stob Dubh

DSCF3684.JPG
Aonach Eigeach

IMG-20111203-00129.jpg
Stob an broige

The chill factor on the top was well significant so we did nt hang around to long before heading back down the bealach ready to horse up to Stob Dubh

IMG-20111203-00130.jpg
Stob Dubh

IMG-20111203-00131.jpg
Buachille Eite Mor

Ach bha an gaoith laidir fhathast agus ..decision time do we head up the exposed ridge to Stob Dubh ? it was bitter and still blowing although in stages so aye we went for it 8)
There was nice sneachd (snow) to give your boots a grip although the rocks were reóite (frozen) and the wee cárn before the druim was soon gained

IMG-20111203-00138.jpg
cárn beag

IMG-20111203-00143.jpg
An Buachaille Mor a ribhist

IMG-20111203-00146.jpg
céo is reoite

By this time the wind was still strong but no quite bowling us off our cás and we had indeed hit the "window" with nice views 360 :lol:

IMG-20111203-00157.jpg
An drúim go Stob dubh

IMG-20111203-00160.jpg
Gleann Eite

Good craic on this summit but it was still hellish baltic the wind was whipping the snow up and around us like something out a movie so again we did nt hang about and soon headed back along the druim

IMG-20111203-00161.jpg
An druim air ais

Uill bha sin e ,tri uaireann air a bheinn agus bha an t side ..well the weather was now turning blizzard like just as the weather moguls said it would so we hoofed it down quick style blown about but unbowed. As we hit the bealach again in came the stormy ,squally ,blizzard

IMG-20111203-00168.jpg
sneachd

IMG-20111203-00169.jpg
Stob Coire agus Sneachd

We stopped briefly on the way down for a quick bite and a cup of tea as a group of fellas approached us
"hows the cráic" i asked "you on your way up?"

one fella replied

"yeah. no bad mate, weather is supposed to be hellish".........

" oh aye indeed its about to become hellish indeed "said Colla on his way down at 12.45 :lol:

I hope they had a good time but im no so sure they was going to be as lucky as me ! as we say in the language of eden

Tachraidh na daoine, ach cha tachair na cnuic.
"Men will meet, but the hills will not "

Cheerie an drasda

IMG-20111203-00171.jpg
An cú dubh "Murphy"
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: A Weather Window on the Buachille Eite Beag

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Cheers, enjoyed that :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby kevsbald » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:22 pm

Great stuff - love the last dog pic.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mgmt! » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:10 pm

fantastic report collaciotach, think you mentioned before your dog had a bit of patterdale in him so explains the boundless energy. you seemed to have made the right call with the weather too. slanj :D
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:24 pm

kevsbald wrote:Great stuff - love the last dog pic.

the dogs ******** Kev ... gu dearbh :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:26 pm

mgmt! wrote:fantastic report collaciotach, think you mentioned before your dog had a bit of patterdale in him so explains the boundless energy. you seemed to have made the right call with the weather too. slanj :D

Patterdale Westie x ...... boundless no doing feck all he is told :lol:

but a cracker ....slainte a bhalaich
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby PeteR » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:49 pm

You're getting out on some great hills I see :D

If I had to complie a list of my top 10 hills then surely this one would be on it. Have walked it plenty times and in all but glorious weather :lol: :lol: Seeing it with the snow brings back memories of Boxing Day 2009 :D :D Superb. One day though the sun will shine when I'm up there.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:09 pm

PeteR wrote:You're getting out on some great hills I see :D

If I had to complie a list of my top 10 hills then surely this one would be on it. Have walked it plenty times and in all but glorious weather :lol: :lol: Seeing it with the snow brings back memories of Boxing Day 2009 :D :D Superb. One day though the sun will shine when I'm up there.

Aye Pete she is no bad at all and a quick ascent..... after Gaor Bheinn on Wednesday :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland