walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

80mph winds+snow storms+sunshine=5 Munros!!

80mph winds+snow storms+sunshine=5 Munros!!

Postby dooterbang » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 03/12/2011

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 1500m

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The route of this walk is well documented by fellow walkers so for a change i will give a short story of our day and provide nnumerous photos.

Leonide had suggested a date for walking few weeks back so i came up with the route - Lochnagar 5.
Joining us would be 2 fine gentleman from Gourock. This would be their 1st big Winter Walk so having webbed feet may be advantageous if a sudden thaw! Gordon and Graeme provided great company all day and handled everything the conditions threw at them....although never let Gordon navigate if his driving acumen is anything to go by.

Weather was forecast as 80mph winds and snow storms with some pockets of sunshine. The far east was looking good.

For reasons only known to Gordon he decided to take us on an ad hoc tour of Lochnagar Distillery and Balmoral Estate before finally reaching the car park at Glen Muick - male drivers :lol:

We set off at 9am with the sun shining - although at low level the wind was ferocious :shock:

We had not long started to find many walkers turning back and heading for the car park - the wind was too strong they informed us.

We carried on and soon came upon the snow. Myself and Leonides 1st winter walk of this season had begun, not to mention the Gourock boys 1st ever winter escapade....the slow pace meant if doing all 5 Munros we would be finishing in darkness :D

Now the wind was on a par to a tornado at this point so we huddled together just before the ascent of the boulder field and discussed the merits of doing 1 munro, never mind 5. We decided to go for the summit of the first munro and evaluate our position. The direction of the wind meant we wouldnt be blown into the corrie below, a calculated descision.

Video ascending the boulder field
http://youtu.be/S5QcHMD_Yck?hd=1

After some treachorous scrambling with rock and ice underfoot we made it to the ridge, phew!!

Safely on the ridge we headed towards the 1st munro - the views at this point stunning with sunshine belting off the snow. It was great to be out in winter, in testing conditions, dont half make you feel alive :D 8)

We stopped for some food before setting off for munro number 2, yes we had decided to go for the 5. We would be the only people to take these on today. The going was still tough but the safety aspect was fine due to exspansive plateaus. The risk ahead would be finishing in the dark :shock:

On heading for number 2 i realised my compass had a bubble in it. I followed its direction and eventually we came to a cairn. This was a munro top and not 2nd munro, my GPS confirmed this. I had added 2k and more ascent to the route, oops!! Gordon had forgotten his map and compass and it turned out Graemes compass had a bubble also. Ultimately it transpired that any reading taken was thrown off by 50m either side of our line. This was now a pain as visibility was poor due to snow storms, we had to proceed with caution....whilst having some fun :)

We continued to take dodgy readings and just get on with it. The weather at this point was horrid and the darkness was quickly shrouding us. The last munro would be done under the moonlight and stars.

We reached the last munro around 6pm, i think. We had 8k more to walk, conditions still bonkers but the wind behind us. I led the way and decided to stay high on the plateau and take the defined path, if i could find it, rather than dropping down to the stalkers path running alongside Lock Muick....far too dangerous in darkness.

Vid of the walk out
http://youtu.be/kJxRh1TdfQQ?hd=1

The walk out was thrilling, the feeling of isolation in a remote area with the snow belting your face a joy. The stars in the sky shining bright and illuminating the sky, the crashing noise of water from a nearby fall....this is what Saturday nights are all about :D 8)

Got to the car at 8pm, we didnt hang about due to long drive back to Glasgow.
Thankfully Gordon decided against a revisit to Lochnagar Distillery and Balmoral Estate as once is enough for one day....although we did visit Perth on numerous occasions on route home. Poor Gordons descision making was poor due to fatigue and delirium, twice he took the wrong cut off and we ended back in Perth. . . .was all in good fun though.
He had managed to get us through Glenshee safely as the snow was relentless and thick making conditions very dodgy indeed. Lucky to make it up the hill to ski centere then the drop down was at a snails pace to keep control of the car.

Eventually reached Glasgow 12.30am only to find the Police cornering punters in some pub at Ibrox where i had parked my car. Another scuffle no doubt fuelled by alcohol and stupidity....thank goodness for the hills and like minded folk.

I gort home at 1am but was wired and didnt sleep till 4am....

What an epic 1st winter walk of the season, will be hard to top that.

Thanks to Gordon for driving, Graeme for the nuts and Leonide for good company....she sings and dances well :wink:
Last edited by dooterbang on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: 80mph winds+snow storms+sunshine=5 Munros!!

Postby monty » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:22 pm

A nice walk turned into an epic in the conditions nutter :lol:

Love the photo of the Loch and the night time blizzard :D

P.s. you must be tired because you started this walk at 9pm according to the report :lol:
monty

Postby mountainstar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Wow, some walk in some bad conditions, so glad that I gave you "permission" to do it....but NOT to come back so late, naughty boy!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby dooterbang » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:50 pm

monty wrote:A nice walk turned into an epic in the conditions nutter :lol:

Love the photo of the Loch and the night time blizzard :D

P.s. you must be tired because you started this walk at 9pm according to the report :lol:
ha ha Monty. Attention to detail eh. Now corrected, thanks.

Nutter? Never :D

Yeah new experience walking in the dark with snow belting you sideways...loved it though.

Hope to see you out soon.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:51 pm

mountainstar wrote:Wow, some walk in some bad conditions, so glad that I gave you "permission" to do it....but NOT to come back so late, naughty boy!
Thanks dad. Always listen to my elders, and you're getting on a tad!! Guess im grounded then :(
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:56 pm

Great effort guys. Epic indeed.

Regards Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby quoman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:58 pm

A awesome walk great report love awe the pic's well done :clap: :clap:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Yipyipcoyote » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Great report. Great pics and vids. Well done to all.
Yipyipcoyote
Munro compleatist

Munros:249   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:39   Islands:3

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Good stuff 8)
Big walk at this time of year.
foggieclimber

Postby DavyB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:35 pm

I thought ours was an epic Paul, but you topped us with that one, Great pics and video. Cant believe Gordon got lost :lol:
DavyB
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:11   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:45 pm

What a great walk and in those conditions, looked fun, you've got some fantastic photos :thumbup:

We were at Loch Muick at the end of May with strong winds, horizontal rain, sun and, a fair bit of snow still on Lochnagar :D

dooterbang wrote:For reasons only known to Gordon he decided to take us on an ad hoc tour of Lochnagar Distillery and Balmoral Estate before finally reaching the car park at Glen Muick - male drivers

Sure he wasn't trying to put off the inevitable? I'll refrain from making comment about male drivers, might get myself into trouble :lol: :lol:

dooterbang wrote:although we did visit Perth on numerous occasions on route home.

We've done that as well on our way home from Ballater......our excuse....we were looking for petrol :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Malckyb » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Madness..there is no cure for it though.. :lol: .but fantastic,great report...well done!
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby weemistermac » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Excellent stuff Dooter! I love Lochnagar and the White Mounth with a bit fo snow and some blue sky. Stunning. Good effort everyone.
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Sidewinder » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Great report & pictures Paul, excellent effort from Gordon & Graeme in getting 5 done on their first winter walk, (knew Leo would manage fine - who can forget the Newtonmore Epic?!).
Sidewinder
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:50 pm

You certainly dont do things by half lol! I quite like a wee wander in the dark as well - thats why i get up so late lol. Great report :).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland