walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

53 Sgairneach Mhor

53 Sgairneach Mhor

Postby DJG78 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 03/12/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 541m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Attempted to also complete Beinn Udlamain but ran out of time. Set off at 1.30pm so didnt want to risk a dark decent especially as the cloud was down so navigating was hard enough. Just managed Sgairneach Mhor before dusk at around 4pm.

I follwed the walk report but disagreed with directions advising begining to ascend the flank through heather after the first bridge. if you carry on up the track you will hit a second bridge after about 1/2 mile with a clear quad track directly up the west side of the flank. I decended this way and found it much easier as the heather was thick and very boggy under snow. I would follow this route up and down in future.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Munros 001.jpg
Munros 002.jpg
Munros 003.jpg
Munros 004.jpg
Munros 005.jpg
Munros 006.jpg
Munros 007.jpg
Munros 008.jpg
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland