walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scar Crags - Causey Pike - Barrow

Postby Phooooey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Barrow, Causey Pike, Scar Crags

Hewitts included on this walk: Causey Pike, Scar Crags

Date walked: 04/12/2011

Time taken: 3.8

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 866m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

BBC Radio Cumbria Weatherman got it soooo wrong this weekend ! He promised me that Sunday would be the better day & plans for Saturday were changed to comply. 08:00 on Sunday did indeed look less windy and relatively cloud free but with forecasts for snow in Scotland. He got that a few miles wrong as well, as when myself and Damson climbed out of the car for the start of todays walk, within 15 mins the wind picked up and horizontal sleet tried to drive us back to the car. In fact I think Damson was quite up for that as she did not like the weather at all.
To stay out of the wind a little we climbed up the right hand side of Causey and left of Outerside up to the col between Scar Crags and Sail. This was green as we set off but most definitely white in the couple of hours climbing up there.
Heading left we climbed on to the tops of Scar Crags & Causey Pike keeping low to prevent being blown off and taking a few pictures when the cloud broke for long enough. The sleet had turned to snow now which actually improved conditions and so the plan for Barrow was resurrected (I was planning on going straight over the tops and home as the views weren't great).
Back tracking slightly we took the steeper descent path directly towards Outerside and then out onto Barrow trying to prevent ourselves dropping to far by taking paths through the bracken rather than the main paths. From Barrow down towards Braithwaite and back along the road back to the car.

CIMG4042.JPG
Scar Crags in driving snow
CIMG4044.JPG
Causey Pike from Scar Crags
CIMG4047.JPG
View down to Derwent from near Causey Pike summit
CIMG4049.JPG
Driving wind and snow on Causey Pike summit

At every key decision point / junction today, the weather turned worse as soon as I'd chosen a path which made me doubly doubt whether I should have been up there in the first place. It made the day feel weird, as though I was making the wrong decision on every turn. Still !! another 3 for the book and now I'm back and starting to warm up again, I quite enjoyed the cobwebs being blown away and completing the challenge.
Not sure Damson agrees with me though!! She seems to like sitting in front of the fire more than sleet and snow.

CIMG4059.JPG
I think Damson might be glad that Barrow is the last of the day !!
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Scar Crags - Causey Pike - Barrow

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Enjoyed reading your report and some good photos :D

Last time I walked Barrow just did it on its own before going back home from a week in Keswick. It was so hot we ran out of water.....a big mistake :?

We had a couple of snow showers this morning and don't remember the forecast saying that!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Phooooey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:21 pm

I did Grizedale Pike round to Grasmoor and back over Sail before dropping to Outerside earlier in the year. It was pretty warm that day as well and I was worn out well before getting back to Braithwaite. Today was about finishing that little corner of Lakeland but the weather prevented me from venturing across to Ard Crags, etc.
Gives me another excuse to wander about for a few hours though.

Pics weren't brilliant because of the weather conditions.
BBC says we are in for quite a bit of snow in next 2 days.
Phooooey

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Phooooey wrote:Gives me another excuse to wander about for a few hours though.

Thats a very good excuse :lol:

Phooooey wrote:BBC says we are in for quite a bit of snow in next 2 days.

They've probably got that wrong as well :D
SusieThePensioner

Postby Phooooey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:38 pm

LOL :lol:
Looks like you were right ! Dalton & Barow are damp and windy but no snow as yet ! Had a slight fall last night but didn't stick. After yesterday, I don't think I'll be in the fells for a couple of days. Brrrrrrrrr!!
Phooooey

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:59 pm

No snow here (I work in Durham) but the A66 was only just passable and other pockets of snow/ice around County Durham causing problems :D

Phooooey wrote:After yesterday, I don't think I'll be in the fells for a couple of days. Brrrrrrrrr!!

Just wait for the sun to come out you can't inflict more bad weather on poor Damson :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland