walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sleeping bags

Sleeping bags

Postby Frogwell » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:03 pm

I thought Rab had a traffic light colour system for their sleeping bags? Red being for really cold weather through to green for warm weather. Why then is the Neutrino 600 with a comfort rating of -12 painted red whereas the Andes 800 is orange even though it will keep you snoring down to -21?

Also, thoughts: Rab Andes 800, Western Mountaineering Antelope and Alpkit Pipedream 800. Which would win in a fight? Or can anyone recommend other contenders? Requirements are it's got to be light enough for me get me as far from civilisation as possible and warm enough to keep my alive when I realise I'm really far from civilisation in the cold. Price range between those above, although the WM antelope really is on the very upper limit - past it in fact.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Sleeping bags

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Can I come with you wherever your going ? :D

Joking aside, the quality and feel of Rab's bag's make me want to crawl into them and fall asleep. Wish I could afford one !

I think the Neutrino collection have a colour coding of their own and the Andes and Expedition bags are colour coded seperatley, so that would mean the high temp rated Neutrino bags would be green and then as the Neutrino bags get into colder ratings they are orange and red.

The Andes Bags are Orange and the Expedition Bags are red and are on a different colour code because they are for more extreme use in the greater ranges. Only explanation I can think of ? If anything I said makes any sense (it only really sound right in my head) :lol:
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:10 am

I tried my first wildcamp last April (hadn't been in a tent since the 1970's at BB) - wasn't sure whether I'd like it so didn't want to spend too much - tend to get cold so wanted a 3-4 season bag even for spring/summer - didn't want to get Down in case it got wet - didn't want it to be too heavy. In the end I went for one of these : 3-4 season, comfort range 10 to -12 and extreme of -15. Don't think I'd want to go that low though. At 1.25kg it's not too bad.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dacky » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 am

Mountain equipment bags are well worth a look, but at the top end of your budget. If you want one with water proof qualities take a look at the Extream range, these have a DWR coating which I've found up to the job even though I'm tall and my feet generally touch the inner of my tent. I have the Lightline for all year round brittish use but can count on one hand the amount I times I've had to zip up and have the good up as I find it bloody roasting! You would probably be looking at the Snowline for the temperature ratings of the bags your looking at

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/down_sleeping_bags/extreme/snowline_-17°c---445/

Shop around and you can find it much cheaper that RRP. Any ME bag user will tell you the EXL system is to die for!
dacky
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:153   

Postby Belgian_Hiker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:29 am

Frogwell

I'll second the vote for Mountain Equipment bags. If you're going to be using in damp conditions (i.e.those in Scotland), then a DWR treated outer is important. On the ME range, Extreme and Glacier are the ones to look at for damp conditions. This does not mean they are waterproof, but cope well from condensation in your tent.

Rab and Mountain Engineering quote as US fill rate, whereas ME use EU fill rate. As an example, 750+ EU fill is approx. the same as 850+ US fill rate. I would trust ME temp ratings more than any other, having slept last winter in -18°C.

Also important when in very cold conditions, is good insulation from the ground. A cheap foam sleeping mat under your regular sleeping mat makes a world of a difference. Also important to be warm as you go to sleep (some jogging on the spot helps although onlookers may query your antics).

Personally, I find a sleeping bag a very important piece of kit, especially in under zero conditions. They may be expensive, but a very worthwhile investment and with proper care, will pay for themselves many times over.

Good luck in your search !
Belgian_Hiker
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Steve B » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:41 am

I would echo the comments on ME Glacier. I have used a 1000g Class IV for years. I tend to get too warm in it if anything.
Never had a problem with it getting damp either in a tent or bivvy bag. It does not compress that small but your likely using a bigger rucksack anyway and a comfortable sleep is a must.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby mrssanta » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 am

I had a lhotse down sleeping bag for 25 years and it did me very well, finally replaced it last year with an Alpkit pipe dream half the weight and is excellent if you can get one! but they are not in stock very often.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Frogwell » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for all the information :)

SouthernUplandKing wrote:Can I come with you wherever your going ? :D

Joking aside, the quality and feel of Rab's bag's make me want to crawl into them and fall asleep. Wish I could afford one !

I think the Neutrino collection have a colour coding of their own and the Andes and Expedition bags are colour coded seperatley, so that would mean the high temp rated Neutrino bags would be green and then as the Neutrino bags get into colder ratings they are orange and red.

The Andes Bags are Orange and the Expedition Bags are red and are on a different colour code because they are for more extreme use in the greater ranges. Only explanation I can think of ? If anything I said makes any sense (it only really sound right in my head) :lol:

I have a head like that too.

rockhopper wrote:I tried my first wildcamp last April (hadn't been in a tent since the 1970's at BB) - wasn't sure whether I'd like it so didn't want to spend too much - tend to get cold so wanted a 3-4 season bag even for spring/summer - didn't want to get Down in case it got wet - didn't want it to be too heavy. In the end I went for one of these : 3-4 season, comfort range 10 to -12 and extreme of -15. Don't think I'd want to go that low though. At 1.25kg it's not too bad.

I got one of the last year actually. I kept it for all of about 3 days before sending it back. However fantastic their bumf claims it is, I just couldn't see it being sufficient for anything other than 2 seasons. Patches of the filling had bunched up so much that bits of it were just the outer and inner material. Even when it wasn't bunched up it didn't seem to loft very much. Perhaps they have got some fantastic material than will keep you warm down to -15, but I'm more inclined to think anyone testing that would end up grumpy and/or dead.

dacky wrote:Mountain equipment bags are well worth a look,

Belgian_Hiker wrote:I'll second the vote for Mountain Equipment bags.

Steve B wrote:I would echo the comments on ME Glacier.

I'll have to have a look at Mountain Equipment some more. I'd pretty much discounted them due to the cost, and to a certain extent, the weight. Might be able to find a deal or two round about Christmas time though.

For a sleeping mat I've got a Pacific Outdoors Ether Thermo 6 which seems pretty decent. I've also just bought a big aluminium foil camping mat from China which I intend to use as a tent footprint in the winter. It's very bulky but lightweight and I'm hoping it should offer a bit more protection from conduction heat transfer.

mrssanta wrote:I had a lhotse down sleeping bag for 25 years and it did me very well, finally replaced it last year with an Alpkit pipe dream half the weight and is excellent if you can get one! but they are not in stock very often.
Alpkit say they're expecting the Pipedream during January, so I might go for one of them. I do like the price (well, dislike is less than the other might be more accurate) but I would want to be sure their -17 claim is accurateish.

At the moment I use a Snugpak Softie Winter with a fleece liner or a Gelert 1200 coupled with a Tesco ultralight down summer bag. I've been okay in the Snugpak down to about -5 and about -2 with the Gelert/tesco combo. chances are both would be okay to go a bit lower, but this winter I want to do some high level camps where -15 or so is highly likely. Plus of course both my current setups come in around 2.5kg which aint that much fun to lug about.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 pm

[quote="Frogwell] I would want to be sure their -17 claim is accurateish.
[/quote]

That would depend on more than just the sleeping bag, eg how cold you sleep, what kind of mat is under you, what you have eaten for tea, how fit you are, etc etc. my husband sleeps hot and I sleep cold; in general I need about twice as much down round me as he does in the same conditions. which makes it far more interesting and complicated. having said that the pipe dream 800 bag is about the warmest I've seen but there's nothing fancy about it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Frogwell » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:01 pm

mrssanta wrote:That would depend on more than just the sleeping bag, eg how cold you sleep, what kind of mat is under you, what you have eaten for tea, how fit you are, etc etc. my husband sleeps hot and I sleep cold; in general I need about twice as much down round me as he does in the same conditions. which makes it far more interesting and complicated. having said that the pipe dream 800 bag is about the warmest I've seen but there's nothing fancy about it.

For the most part I sleep hot. Less so now though I notice. When I was in my twenties I would often get up in the morning to find the glass of water on my bedside table was frozen solid and I thought nothing of it. I would keep my bedroom window open all winter and slept a whole lot better than in the summer. Since then though I've discovered central heating and I've got a horrible feeling it's turning me soft. Before I used to consider the house warm if it was 14 degrees, now I think of that as cold. I think for the most part I probably sleep hotter than average though.

Does the pipedream puff up quite well? Or is it a little bit limp and flat?
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:04 pm

no it puffs up quite nicely
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Frogwell » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:41 pm

I've now bought the Rab Andes 800. Mainly because I had the webtogs voucher and it seemed the best value cold weather bag they had. I've not had a chance to get it outside yet but it looks and feels really nice.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk