walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A snowy Angus jaunt to start the winter season

A snowy Angus jaunt to start the winter season

Postby joenorris » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Route description: Ben Tirran by Loch Brandy and Wharral, Glen Clova

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 05/12/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 860m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I couldn't have timed my arrival home for my Christmas holiday any better - the moment I got home on Saturday I started hearing predictions of mass snow disruption over the coming week. Perhaps not ideal for people who have to work for a living, but perfect for me to get out in the lush winter wonderland (as long as the snow isn't heavy enough to prevent me getting there!).

Anyway, it was with a view to making the most of the good forecast in the East today that we set off for Glen Clova, with our aim to tackle Ben Tirran via the two impressive corries on its southern wall.

We arrived at the car park just beyond the Clova Hotel and were walking by 9.30am. Icy roads had meant the journey there took longer than anticipated, but the stunning skies in the East more than made up for it. We set off up the track (initially the wrong one) aiming for Loch Brandy. As we gained height, the crags and lumps on the opposite side of the glen became more impressive, as did the view back down Glen Clova.

Back down the glen

Across the glen

We arrived up in the corrie after around an hour, with the sun now allowing us to proceed with minimal clothing (it's all relative, of course).

In the corrie

The headwall

Towards Driesh

Glen Clova

We headed up the Snub, a pretty short but fairly steep ascent, and from here we could see the long walk along the plateau to our target. The hills to the north and west were now revealed too - Lochnagar and the hills around Loch Muick, and Mount Keen.

Lochnagar et al

Across to Driesh and Mayar

The plateau

Eventually we reached the summit which treated us to a nice bit of shelter from the bitter wind (it was, by this point, what some would refer to as 'pure baltic'). The views, as they had been all day, were pretty cracking.

The summit

Dreish and Mayar

Out to sea

Cloud formations on the coast

Lochnagar in cloud

Having tentatively eaten an extremely cold banana, we cracked on to the subsidiary summit, before cutting down into the corrie housing Loch Wharral. There are the remnants of some kind of building by the southern edge of the loch - no idea what reason someone would have to build up here.

We saw a wide array of wildlife in the corrie - a herd of (probably chilly) deer, various mountain hares and grouse. Unfortunately my photography skills are limited to stuff that doesn't run away from me at breakneck speed, so you'll have to take my word for it that we saw them! Ice formations are more within my abilities, and there were plenty about to see.

We cut across the corrie, aiming to cut down the big track just west of Rough Craig. We only located this track much further down the hillside - it is massively overgrown, and pretty difficult to see unless your looking closely for it. There were still great views as we descended, however.

Looking SE

Cat Law? I'm not sure.

We eventually met the birch woodland, and we climbed a few fences to make our way through. There was no obvious path or track until we got much closer to the road, although the woodland was very sparse. A fair amount of rotten wood meant there was an abundance of fungi, some pretty cool formations.

We met the road at around gridpoint 344720, and it was a short walk along the road to Clova, where we popped into the hotel for a cup of tea. There are some really friendly bar staff in there - I'm sure it'd be a good spot for a meal and a pint.

Towards Clova

Altogether this was a fantastic walk - stunning skies and scenery in an area of the country I rarely have a reason to visit. It's well worth popping up for a short jaunt around the corries, absolutely cracking.

Our route, seen from further down the glen.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Re: A snowy Angus jaunt to start the winter season

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Looks like a nice winter day oot :D . It's to my shame that I have yet to to fully explore the Angus Glens :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Hey Joe, I am at work and cannot see the photos at the moment, but from the date I see this was Monday you did this. A friend and I did more or less the same route the day before, the Sunday, and it was, as you say, "baltic". Cracking day though. I look forward to looking at your photos when I'm online at home later. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Excellent stuff - must get up there.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Fantastic report Joe. You certainly had one of the best days for a good hike. Smashing photies too. Lived in this area for years and I still can't name the hills :shock: :lol:

Cracking effort :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Was up Brandy last week. We stay in one of the hideaway lodges behind the Clova hotel every November (hot tub on the deck :D )

Was very misty and bitterly cold but a great walk

Nice pictures
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby Alastair S » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Excellent stuff. We (en famille) did a walk around the top of Loch Brandy shortly after we first moved up here but I didn't even know about Corbetts then - so have still to bag this one.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby joenorris » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Cheers everyone.

DarrenJeffrey wrote:We stay in one of the hideaway lodges behind the Clova hotel every November (hot tub on the deck :D )

Ahh I noticed the lodges! Cracking spot for a getaway though - I'm surprised the water in the hot tub doesn't freeze at those temperatures.

LeithySuburbs wrote:It's to my shame that I have yet to to fully explore the Angus Glens

You don't know what you're missing - some really cracking spots from my recent experience (and they always seem to get the best weather too!)

Alastair S wrote:Excellent stuff. We (en famille) did a walk around the top of Loch Brandy shortly after we first moved up here but I didn't even know about Corbetts then - so have still to bag this one.

Aye it seems there's a pretty big path up to Loch Brandy - built with drains and all. That would be a great walk considering it's within minutes of the road though.

Thanks for all the comments guys.
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland