walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Make mine's a double!

Make mine's a double!

Postby Pelter99 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 19/11/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having caught Ghlas, Lawers and Stuc two weeks previous we were keen to catch Greigh and Garbh. As we set off from the Lawers Hotel car park just before eight it felt unseasonally mild for this time of year. By the time we were passed the farm and up unto the approach to Meall Greigh the wind had started to pick up and the jacket was back on. As we climbed the clouds rolled in and eventually we were walking through the all too familiar pea soup! nevertheless we made good time (by our standards) and reached the cairn just before ten.
DSCN2037.JPG

Thankfully as we headed off the clouds started the break giving us some excellent views of Meall Garbh.
DSCN2043.JPG

By now the wind had really picked up as we made our ascent, at least the rain had stayed away! Anyhow, we eventually reached the summit where we weren't disappointed with our view towards An Stuc which looked totally formidable from this side.
DSCN2064.JPG

DSCN2073.JPG

DSCN2074.JPG

Due to the heavy cloud cover we retraced our steps and enjoyed a well earned pint in the Lawers hotel. Great to have bagged another two Munros and hopefully the weather will hold out and let us get to twenty before Christmas. :D
Pelter99
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Make mine's a double!

Postby Louis6 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Hey Pelter,nice report will need to get ma finger Oot and start these myself,good to see you caught other 2,Dono if you'll get the Magic 20 before Crimbo,bit crazy out their,Danny and meself been sticking to A few Corbetts, Sub 2000s :) anyways Merry Christmas M8,later.
Louis6
Mountain Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:35 pm

just noticed the wee dug in the third picture! lovely views you got in the end
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Pelter99 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Louis6 wrote:Hey Pelter,nice report will need to get ma finger Oot and start these myself,good to see you caught other 2,Dono if you'll get the Magic 20 before Crimbo,bit crazy out their,Danny and meself been sticking to A few Corbetts, Sub 2000s :) anyways Merry Christmas M8,later.

Cheers Louis6, aye a think the twenty before xmas is oot the picture :( . Anyhow all the best and hopefully we'll meet p in the new year.
Pelter99
Munro compleatist

Postby Pelter99 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:33 pm

mrssanta wrote:just noticed the wee dug in the third picture! lovely views you got in the end

Thanks Mrs Santa, yeah cloud cleared eventually. It definately makes all the difference when you get the views.
Pelter99
Munro compleatist

Postby rocket-ron » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:55 pm

well done planning these in the next few weeks
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby Pelter99 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:50 pm

rocket-ron wrote:well done planning these in the next few weeks

Best of luck rocket! I'm still a bit wary of tackling hills in the snow. I was thinking of getting some training or teaming up with someone with a bit more exprience in Winter walking.
Pelter99
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland