walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

At the Second Time Of Asking

At the Second Time Of Asking

Postby Fudgie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 12/12/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Friday I attempted this hill along with one of my friends but about three quarters of the way up, he decided he couldn't go any further so we turned around and headed back to the car. Part of me was annoyed at being so close but I'm glad he said something instead of carrying on.

I was also off work today so I thought I'll head back solo this time and give it another go. I was away from the car at exactly half nine and it was obvious that a lot of the snow and ice which had been lying further down on Friday had melted so I made good time up to the dam. It was at this point on Friday that it got very icy underfoot but over the weekend, fresh snow had fallen and now it wasn't too deep that I had to put any effort in to get through it but also didn't have to worry about slipping on the ice underneath.

The cloud was sitting near the summit so I still had some good views and I found the going much easier than I had on Friday and where we had turned back after two hours only took me just over an hour to reach today. I stopped for a bite to eat just incase I couldn't have anything at the summit and this turned out to be a good bit for forward planning. Shortly after this point I left the track and moved on to the hill and it was here that the snow started to slow me down.

I had put my crampons on and they came in handy as every so often I would reach a patch of snow which was frozen but I was quite glad to reach bits like this as it was a change from watching my boots disappear. The wind had made its presence know by now so it was out with the ski mask and onwards up the hill.

Before long I reached the line of fence posts and they were a welcome sight as I knew then I didn't have far to go. The conditions underfoot were a bit more solid here and within about 15 minutes I arrived at the summit and a shelter which was full of snow. I sat down on the snow for 5 minutes and enjoyed a drink of water before deciding to brave the wind which for the return journey would be coming straight for me.

I quickly descended out of the cloud and the visibility improved greatly. As I returned to the track, I noticed another pair of footprints so I wasn't the only madman on the hill today. I had taken a slightly different route down so I probably missed them as they ascended the way I had. I could have stopped here to have my soup but it seemed like a better idea to march back to the car and enjoy it there which I did.

It was good to go back and complete this hill and the weather wasn't too bad. It was my first solo winter walk and to do it in 4 hours is something that I'm quite happy with.

Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: At the Second Time Of Asking

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Well done on getting out again and doing this.

I had the same scenario last year. 1st effort i couldnt get the car to the start due to snow. I went following week and it was hellish weather....buy like you i did it.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Fudgie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:32 pm

A few people seem to refer to it as a boring mountain but yesterday it was anything but. I enjoyed myself and it was good to get back to it as quickly as I did and I'm surprised at how little I feel the effects of it today. I even played 5's last night and I lasted the full hour so my fitness levels are definitely improving.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Good stuff.

thats the advantages of hillwalking.....the fitness levels improve dramatically.

i did 4 munros and a corbett on saturday and was ok for my circuit class last night.

No be long till your signing up for Marathons. :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Fudgie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 pm

dooterbang wrote:Good stuff.

thats the advantages of hillwalking.....the fitness levels improve dramatically.

i did 4 munros and a corbett on saturday and was ok for my circuit class last night.

I'm not that daft :D

I'm sticking to singles just now because of the short daylight hours but once we get into the New Year, I'll start to look at doubles and driving further afield. I've done a couple of doubles already (Ben More/Stob Binnien & Ben Vorlich/SaC) so I'm keen to do more.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:51 pm

dooterbang wrote:Good stuff.

If your that fit i ll show you a game of shinty one day :lol: ..sort the men from the boys kinda game :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland