walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Postby SMRussell » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 22/03/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 995m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was our first Munro way back in March 2011.

We had booked into a hotel in the Trossachs for a week and the day before heading out we knew the weather was to be wall to wall rain bar our first day so we thought we'd get something decent in before the rain hit - we were pretty inexperienced back then and were not at all equipped for serious rain.

We took the route from Loch Earn over clear and easy paths and while we thought about including Stuc a'Chroin this was our first Munro bagging experience and there was a lot of icy snow about so we decided to stick to the one. We were treated to good views, two ravens on the summit and it was still enough for us to build an Inukshuk on the summit cairn :D

Anyway - enjoy the photos
Attachments
1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
16 Inuksuk.jpg
17 Raven.jpg
18 Ravens.jpg
19 Raven in flight.jpg
20 view across the top.jpg
21 View to SaC.jpg
22 view on top 2.jpg
23view on top.jpg
24 view to the hills.jpg
25 view to the hills.jpg
26 view to the hills.jpg
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Wise choice just to do the 1 as SaC can be difficult in ice due to the scrambling.

Your Munro count has certainly shot up since March, well done.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Fudgie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:41 pm

This one is on my list of ones to return to in better weather. As dooterbang says above, there is a scramble up to Stuc a Chroin which can be tricky enough when it's wet never mind in snow and ice.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby SMRussell » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:55 pm

dooterbang wrote:Wise choice just to do the 1 as SaC can be difficult in ice due to the scrambling.

Your Munro count has certainly shot up since March, well done.

We certainly have racked them up! Many a day which should have been spent working on my thesis has been spent in the hills this year :? Since then I've learnt that I absolutely love scrambling and am gagging to get into rock climbing! It is a bit of a shame we missed out on SaC in March but with our experience level at the time it was sensible not to got for it. I reckon we'll go up the back way in the summer bagging Beinn Each at the same time.

Fudgie wrote:This one is on my list of ones to return to in better weather. As dooterbang says above, there is a scramble up to Stuc a Chroin which can be tricky enough when it's wet never mind in snow and ice.

The scramble up An Stuc in the summer was pretty wet under foot (and hand) and I loved it (not sure my partner did). Ice, as you say, really is another thing all together.
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:55 pm

[quote="SMRussel]
Many a day which should have been spent working on my thesis has been spent in the hills this year :? [/quote]
Oh the shame of it, spending time in the hills when you should be working hard....reminds me of that big yank - Stretch :D

SaC is a great scramble in winter - scary **** though :shock:

I have TR from new years day - you can accesss it by clicking on my username.

Scrambles you should try in spring/summer are An Teallach, Liathiac, Forcan Ridge, Curved Ridge.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby SMRussell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:17 am

dooterbang wrote:

Scrambles you should try in spring/summer are An Teallach, Liathiac, Forcan Ridge, Curved Ridge.

Checked out your report - certainly looks on the scary side with all that ice - I think I might have needed more than a Budvar after that... a good few drams of Bunnahabhain perhaps! We're thinking of doing a NY hike but can't decide on where - depends on the weather I guess.

Thanks for the recommendations :D An Teallach does look jaw droppingly spectacular... I'm going to have to find an excuse to get up to the Ullapool area. :think:
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 pm

SMRussell wrote:
dooterbang wrote:

Checked out your report - certainly looks on the scary side with all that ice - I think I might have needed more than a Budvar after that... a good few drams of Bunnahabhain perhaps! We're thinking of doing a NY hike but can't decide on where - depends on the weather I guess.

Thanks for the recommendations :D An Teallach does look jaw droppingly spectacular... I'm going to have to find an excuse to get up to the Ullapool area. :think:

Im doing Ben Ime on xmas morning and no doubt will head out NY day also, its great being out on these mornings as the hills are free of the masses :)
Glenfield hotel/hostel is a great place to stay in Ullapoll and cheap at 19 quid pp pn, has ensuite and a sauna.
Assynt, up from Ullapool, is my fav area so far....sublime. Did a vid of the area in my reports.
Heres hoping we get good weather xmas day :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby SMRussell » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:13 pm

dooterbang wrote:
SMRussell wrote:
dooterbang wrote:

Im doing Ben Ime on xmas morning and no doubt will head out NY day also, its great being out on these mornings as the hills are free of the masses :)
Glenfield hotel/hostel is a great place to stay in Ullapoll and cheap at 19 quid pp pn, has ensuite and a sauna.
Assynt, up from Ullapool, is my fav area so far....sublime. Did a vid of the area in my reports.
Heres hoping we get good weather xmas day :D

Thanks Dooter. Checked out the Glenfield - reviews made for an amusing read :shock: But for a cheap place to rest your head who cares. We were up around Assynt in the summer of 2010, strangely enough on a road trip for my 26th birthday. Checked out your report - have very similar snaps of Ardvreck Castle. We hugged the coast from Inverness right round to Eilean Donan Castle before heading back east. I remember thinking the whole stretch of coast from Lochinver to Applecross was beautiful :D
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:43 pm

SMRussell wrote:
Thanks Dooter. Checked out the Glenfield - reviews made for an amusing read :shock: But for a cheap place to rest your head who cares. We were up around Assynt in the summer of 2010, strangely enough on a road trip for my 26th birthday. Checked out your report - have very similar snaps of Ardvreck Castle. We hugged the coast from Inverness right round to Eilean Donan Castle before heading back east. I remember thinking the whole stretch of coast from Lochinver to Applecross was beautiful :D

The Glenfield is like Twin Peaks - great fun. What a fab way to spend your 26th Birthday :) . It was my 40th in Ullapool, rained everyday but was brill. That 70k cycle round assynt is amazing. I hope you tried the pies from that shop in Lochinver - yummy :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby SMRussell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:33 am

dooterbang wrote:The Glenfield is like Twin Peaks - great fun.

Like Twin Peaks you say - I'm sold! Wouldn't fancy running into Bob though! :shock:
SMRussell

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland