walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black Craig.....Doh! (Cowal)

Black Craig.....Doh! (Cowal)

Postby smiffysmc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Craig

Date walked: 15/12/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 522m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was just half way through doing this report and PC crashed !!! Noe its done it twice!! Sums up the day really. So now you'll all be getting the short angry walk report. :(
Lucky you. :lol:

I started off at the FCS Kilbride carpark. Heading up the road till i got an S bend,from here o took the grassy path down to the burn.

Corner at path

Path

Crossed the burn

Back onto path.........with windblow !!

From here,the once nice path i remembered had been destroyed by a Forwarder. Ruts upto 2' in sections.

Once you meet the road again turn left and continue. The road has been extended and re ditched over the past few years. So the wooden steps i'd normaly take were gone. My other option was to head off the road at turning circle where road ends,but since the extension there was no road end.............doh !!

I did however get to try my micro spikes on for the 1st time on an icy stretch of road.
Do they look pink !!! ???

Even had a wee run about the icy section to see how the spikes performed.......'impressed' :)

With no road end and no steps i continued to where i knew the road came onto the open hillside. Soon as i was out the trees i turned right.

Once off the road,i noticed a fence,so walked over to get a pic of Black Craig.

From here i could aslo see the Bishops Seat,i followed this fence line all the way up........ It was wet underfoot !!

There was something that resembled a quad track i tried to follow this but it was soaking.

By this time i was fed up of bogs!! I cut across the hill to pick up the path i knew was there rather than continue straight for the summit. From here the summit wasn't to far away. This was the path i should have been on if i had gotten of the forestry road at usual place.

Thats better.

Bishops seat Trig point.

View !!

Clag starting to roll in..............just the way i was heading !!!

No hanging about the clag was coming. Headed off, following the fence line again...

Hello,just me big heed !!

I headed for another wee hill,can't remember the name,and then onto a Cairn.

Looking towards Cruach nan Capull from Cairn

Then it was off to find Black Craig in the Clag,was only 0.3 miles away.

Could have fallen over this wee one. Black Craig.....done !! Couldn't see a thing but thats nothin new !!

Time for Descent. The thought of going back the way i came was gettin to me so i decided to try head down earlier....thats what i get for thinking !!! Couldn't see a thing or get a reference to where i was. So it was time for google maps :lol:

Ok,get to the tree line,follow it over the hill and down to the road...simples!! Well it seemed to take forever. This little hole never helped.

Or this little river i had to cross

Did someone steal the trees i was following ? Keeping high enough to see over the trees in case it did clear and i could see where i was,i continued on.

A shimmer of hope !! Bute and Arran in the background. that ment i was................still up a hill :lol:

Back at road,phew. Bute and Arran

Black Craig all clear...........doh !!

I headed back to where i left the forest road before hitting the hill. It was on my mind to head over and back down Kilbride hill,but i opted to leave it and head back sticking to forestry road. I knew the light would be failing soon. Avoiding that Harvester track from earlier i headed down another section of new road back onto the original road i started.

Spotted this on the way back,i passed it on way up....must be where the original road ended and the start of the Bishops Seat Ascent..................Doh.

Lookin back up the road.

Job done. 8) And that was the short report :lol:
Last edited by smiffysmc on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Black Craig.....Doh! (Cowal)

Postby dooterbang » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 pm

lovely "short" report" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really do think pink is your colour :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Was that a Trig Point or a Twig point :lol: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist !!

Great Report, I have the problem when trying to follow man made objects in that I get lost....once walked out hotel in Brecon off to the Beacons and was half a mile down the high street before I realised we should be going the complete opposite direction !!
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Redrock » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Great fun, Smiffy, and lots of pictures! :lol: (how did you get by the 25 pic limit by the way? :lol: ) It looks like you were on an epic journey! I do believe that "big heed" of yours is a brocken spectre - impressive! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby smiffysmc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Redrock wrote:Great fun, Smiffy, and lots of pictures! :lol: (how did you get by the 25 pic limit by the way? :lol: ) It looks like you were on an epic journey! I do believe that "big heed" of yours is a brocken spectre - impressive! 8)

Ooops,didn't know there was a limit...better hit the edit button before admin come :lol: It is the only reprt for the hill though,so maybe the more the better :lol:
Thought the brocken spectre was a sign from the clag gods saying it's gonna clear up.But no,the clag gods were sayin,'thats the last thing your gonna see wee man' !!

Think thats 25 now.....had to delete 20+ :lol:
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby MacAoidh » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 am

smiffysmc wrote:
Could have fallen over this wee one.

Enjoyed your report and pictures. Pleased you managed to find the wee cairn that I built when I visited Black Craig recently; I was having difficulty deciding which was the highest point as it is a featureless summit, so I used my GPS and found that it was marked by 3 stones which lay almost hidden, so I made a better feature by rearranging the stones to make them more visible.

Summit feature as I found it

My new improved summit feature on Black Craig
MacAoidh

Munros:282   Corbetts:93
Fionas:106   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Redrock » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:58 pm

smiffysmc wrote:
Ooops,didn't know there was a limit...better hit the edit button before admin come :lol: It is the only reprt for the hill though,so maybe the more the better :lol:
Thought the brocken spectre was a sign from the clag gods saying it's gonna clear up.But no,the clag gods were sayin,'thats the last thing your gonna see wee man' !!

Och, I didn't mean you to delete your pics! :( It's just that when I do a report it automatic stops me doing more than 25. I wanted to know your trick of getting round it! You've kept 25 good ones though! :D And interesting to see how cairns get built! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby smiffysmc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Redrock wrote:
smiffysmc wrote:

Och, I didn't mean you to delete your pics! :( It's just that when I do a report it automatic stops me doing more than 25. I wanted to know your trick of getting round it! You've kept 25 good ones though! :D And interesting to see how cairns get built! :lol:

Ah,less is more.........have to leave some mystery. :lol:

I upload my pics to photobucket ( other picture hosting sites available). Then i just copy the IMG code and it appears in post. This saves uploading direct to the site and saves server space on forum (i think). So avoiding any limits set.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland