walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Norman's Law: A gentle stroll in the gales

Norman's Law: A gentle stroll in the gales

Postby SMRussell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Route description: Norman's Law, from Luthrie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Norman's Law

Date walked: 04/12/2011

Time taken: 1 hours

Ascent: 280m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the likelihood of severe gales in the higher hills over the weekend of the 3rd-4th of December we decided to settle for a quick stroll up a Marilyn on Sunday the 4th. Being only a 20min drive from home we opted for Norman's Law.

We parked at Luthrie, walked down the track passed Lower Luthrie Farm and forked right towards Emily wood, walking through Carphin Farm and walking around the side of Black Craig then up to the Law. We got some great views to a snowy West Lomond hill which I really wanted to bag after the Law but the other half just wanted to get home to play 'Skyrim' ... pha, where's the love?!
NL1.jpg
NL2.jpg
NL3.jpg
View to the Law
NL4.jpg
Snowy West Lomond Hill
NL5.jpg
View to Mount Hill
NL6.jpg

The wind at the top of the Law was very strong and for the first time that day I was thankful that we'd chosen a little Marilyn - if it was that bad at 285mtrs I dread to think what it would have been like at 900mtrs +!
NL12.jpg
The Top
NL8.jpg
Summit Cairn
NL11.jpg
A wave to Dundee
NL16.jpg
NL17.jpg
Me standing by the trig point - gives you an idea of my height issues :)
NL9.jpg
NL10.jpg
NL14.jpg
A final look at the West Lomond Hill

With the other half keen to get back to his computer game and me in a little bit of a sulk that we weren't going to take on the West Lomond hill we didn't do the circular and just headed back down passed the Black Craig.

This was a good little walk with nice views and it is reassuring to know the little hills are around when the weather thwarts any plans for more substantial hikes.
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Norman's Law: A gentle stroll in the gales

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:43 pm

A nice little walk and good photos :D

SMRussell wrote:We got some great views to a snowy West Lomond hill which I really wanted to bag

Will just have to be another time! We used to walk West Lomond quite a lot as both our daughters went to St Andrews. Always used to get some fantastic and far reaching views, particularly when there was snow on the mountains :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:58 pm

It's a nice gentle stroll that yin! I see they haven't moved that old flatbed trailer thingy one inch since the summer! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Computer games over the outdoors and hills :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Shameful :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SMRussell » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Will just have to be another time! We used to walk West Lomond quite a lot as both our daughters went to St Andrews. Always used to get some fantastic and far reaching views, particularly when there was snow on the mountains :D

Awww, now I know I missed out! We had a stroll up the East Lomond hill back in the summer - really nice walk - were going to bag the West Lomond also but I must admit we both opted for a stroll back into town to explore Falkland where a post walk pint could be had! Maybe third time will be the charm

Graeme Dewar wrote:It's a nice gentle stroll that yin! I see they haven't moved that old flatbed trailer thingy one inch since the summer! :lol:

Aye, ken fit ya mean. As for the trailer I think it added a little extra character :D

dooterbang wrote:Computer games over the outdoors and hills :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I really should disown him but he does all the driving (I erm... failed my test twice... :-? )
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:13 pm

dooterbang wrote:Computer games over the outdoors and hills :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

SMRussell wrote:
I really should disown him but he does all the driving (I erm... failed my test twice... :-? )

3rd time lucky :D

Didnt pass my test till i was 36 :shock:

Nice to see us men are good for something :wink: :thumbup:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SMRussell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 am

dooterbang wrote:
dooterbang wrote:
Didnt pass my test till i was 36 :shock:

36! There's hope for me yet :wink:
SMRussell

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland