walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Saying hi

Saying hi

Postby wattli » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:39 pm

Just joined and looking forward to chatting and sharing. Love the outdoors, walking and cycling. Not long back from Durness, camping on Sango Sands, falling asleep to the sounds of the surf, walking the coastline and getting lost in the beauty of the cliffs and sea. Scenery is outstanding -pub is next to the campsite. Got another week's holiday coming up and heading up to Kintail. Looking forward walking up to the Falls of Glomach. Any one been there?
wattli

Munros:25   

Re: Saying hi

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Hi Wattli and welcome!

I love it up near Durness and hope to get there in the next 6 months or so - it's been too long. I know we've a few other big Sutherland fans on here too.

I've been to the Falls of Glomach a few times but it never fails to impress. The usual approach is from Morvich and the Falls are seen very suddenly on the descent from a bealach. You have to peer down a very steep drop to look at them - care needed - and it is dramatic enough to make me feel a bit giddy.

The other longer approach is up Glen Elchaig and approaches the falls from the glen below; this is a more impressive approach but the final path to the falls fords an awkward stream and also ascends some scrambly ground on a very airy path. Details of both routes are on the site.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Falls of Glomach

Postby wattli » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks for info. Will have a look at both routes in more detail from site. Probably choose the one starting from Morvich.

Is there a campsite in Dornie? Had a look at Shiel Bridge and the one at Morvich, but I remember staying at a campsite not far from the village of Dornie, but this was years ago and it might not be there any more. I have trawled the camping websites but nothing has turned up for Dornie.

Great website by the way.
wattli

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:26 am

There is a campsite at Reraig near Dornie but I beleive they have stopped taking tents. I don't think there's one at Dornie itself. Hope you have a great trip.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Drove past this morning on the way to getting a real soaking down in Perthshire today (currently drying out in Wetherspoons....)

There is actually a campsite by Dornie after all. It is at Ardelve on the minor road off the main road on the loch side.

The contact is hopefully Mrs MacRae on 01599 555231
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Drove past this morning on the way to getting a real soaking down in Perthshire today (currently drying out in Wetherspoons....)

There is actually a campsite by Dornie after all. It is at Ardelve on the minor road off the main road on the loch side.

The contact is hopefully Mrs MacRae on 01599 555231
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Kintail

Postby wattli » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Just back from a week in a beautiful part of the country. Camped at Ardelve - very basic, not 5 star by any means - but fairly clean. Tent pitches are flat down by the lochside. Great mobi coverage on 02.
Biked up side of Loch Long to the road end at Camus Luinie. Spectacular area. Next day drove to road end at Camus Luinie then biked up to Iron Lodge past Loch na Leitreach. Scrambled up to the Falls of Glomach from this track which was interesting. A bit of a scramble and track quite airy in places but worth it. Falls are spectacular. Also walked from Morvich to the Falls later in the week, got soaked on both occasions by incoming downpours. In my opinion the scramble from Glen Elchaig was the best, even in the rain and midgies.

Biked from Glen Shiel up to Totaig on the opposite side of Loch Duich then walked past Casteal Grugaig broch ruins and on down to Ardintoul bay. Nice views of the Skye Bridge and Beinn na Caillich on the left.

All in all a great week.
wattli

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:48 pm

And happy birthday too!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...