walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a Bhuiridh - a hidden gem

Beinn a Bhuiridh - a hidden gem

Postby kevsbald » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bhuiridh, near Loch Awe

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhuiridh

Date walked: 16/12/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 930m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had waited three weeks to get back on to the hill and was jealous of all the fantastic reports, which had been uploaded on to WH. Patience is a virtue though and I struck it lucky. I had never really considered Beinn a Bhuiridh but I wanted a good walk, which would allow for spectacular vistas and some North facing ridges. The SMC Corbett book seemed to suggest that a circular route was possible heading along the Allt Coire Ghlais up to the Lairig Torran and from there a return over the Monadh Driseig. Yet I had not found a report of any kind suggesting this.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The previous night, my wife had awoken me helpfully to say that it was snowing and she would be worried about me. I merely reassured her that the Dalmally area was to have a high pressure over it and not to worry - there, there. As I left early on Friday morning, a brief discussion on risk management and longevity was had but I managed to escape the 3 inches of snow that had fallen in Glasgow and sped N. Upon arrival at the lay-by, I was greeted with spectacular views over the Ben Lui and beyond. Today would be a good day. I followed the old military round and into the coire and as I did so, the N facing cliffs of Beinn a Bhuiridh would come into view - tasty but this was merely the horses doovers.
IMG_0240.JPG
The first views up to Beinn a Bhuiridh
Rather than adhere to the Allt, I decided to move on the Eastern ridge coming down from Stob Garbh and this was to be a good move as it afforded better views all round. As I got higher, I relaxed into the walk and appreciated the solitude - I hadn't been on my own on a hill for quite some time and the loner in me revelled in the conditions. Then I got a grisly fleg - I happened upon a ex ovine which for all the world looked like it had been inverted and its skull and spine were distant from its wooly corpse - this was at about 500m - was there some kind of Predator-esque monster in the hills - I had no intention of taking this back to my wife and thankfully, she agreed.
IMG_0248.jpg
Help ma boab
She's got a taste for the macabre but even for her standards, this was subterranean. I proceeded up the ridge and the views just got more supreme.
IMG_0252.JPG
Over to BAB
IMG_0256.JPG
Looking back...over my shoulder
IMG_0257.JPG
Sunrise hidden by the summit
. Rather than head up to Stob Garbh itself, I traversed over the Lairg Torran and the views across to Ben Cruachan and its satellite peaks blew my away, as did the wind. Again, these would get better as I ascended this fantastic hill.
IMG_0261.JPG
First view over to Cruachan
IMG_0263.JPG
HIgher view over to Cruachan
I had to find a path up the pretty steep face of Beinn a Bhuiridh and this was not easy - however, it's slope obviated concentration at all times and when i did finally plateau, I could relax and enjoy the next half hour. I ambled over to the summit, had a flask of tea and lunch and sat and enjoyed the sun and silence - this was bliss.
IMG_0264.JPG
Ben More on Mull - zoomed
IMG_0265.JPG
The North Face - impressive
IMG_0268.JPG
On the summit
IMG_0269.JPG
Bliss
After sitting for quite some time, I began the walk back along the Monadh Driseig, which was most enjoyable. Stopping to look back and around every so often, I would put this walk in my top 10. I snapped a few more shots, descended and thanked the mountain gods for another cracking day in the hill.
IMG_0272.JPG
Looking over to Ben Lui
IMG_0273.JPG
Looking back to summit, cliffs and BC
IMG_0275.JPG
Solo steps
IMG_0277.JPG
I like this one
IMG_0278.JPG
Monadh Driseig trig w Loch Awe - in awe
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Beinn a Bhuiridh - a hidden gem

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Simply stunning kev,pic 0264 blew me away & at around 17st that takes some doing. :wtf:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Amazing!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Hmmm, Caberfeidh been prowling the hills with his scrimshaws again! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any one of those pics could have blown me away. One of your finest sets of photies yet Kev. I have often regretted not going for this one when I did Cruachan and Stob Diamh. This makes any regret vanish though as I know what I still have to look forward to.... hopefully! Got to say I'm surprised you didn't pocket the remains though..... :o
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Cheers folks. A day that makes you really appreciate life and how great it is to be a hillwalker.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Gavin99 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:00 pm

kevsbald wrote:Cheers folks. A day that makes you really appreciate life and how great it is to be a hillwalker.

I hope you still feel the same way after Saturday :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:21 pm

The first two words that came into my mind while reading this report were purity and clarity.

Fantastic narrative with all the usual fluff (I'm thinking of my own reports-not your's!) stripped away- very much like the cadaver you found :lol:

As for the photographs, (okay to borrow one of your favourite words?)-sublime :D

Very jealous of you having the experience and the male accoutrements to take on a hill alone in the Winter- must have been fab! 8)

PS One thing that did surprise me.... the fact that the above mentioned were still allowed to stay attached after you said 'there, there' to your wife :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby kevsbald » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:48 pm

"There, there" or....."I'll take you for lunch on Sunday" if I remember...still intact.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:52 pm

kevsbald wrote:"There, there" or....."I'll take you for lunch on Sunday" if I remember...still intact.

Yes that sounds a bit closer to the truth :lol:

I trust there was definitely no patting involved either!!! (yes I did say patting :lol: )
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:11 pm

a veritable cracker kev - great views - and big goggles - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Nice report Kev,
The pictures look superb. Ben more especially so. One of the few Corbets I have done :D Good route planning. :D
monty

Postby jimandandrea » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Excellent. Grand route, report and pics.
Christmas shopping or snow topped hills...... no contest. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:05 pm

monty wrote:One of the few Corbets I have done :D

Christ! You heard it here first folks! "Monty in Corbett bagging shocker!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby monty » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby Fudgie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I couldn't get on the hills today so I'm utterly jealous Kev. Cracking pictures.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland