walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not quite Stuchd an Lochain

Not quite Stuchd an Lochain

Postby SMRussell » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 17/12/2011

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

NOTE: The small road leading to the dam at Loch an Daimh only has a slight slippery layer of snow to begin with, however once you reach the small bridge shortly before the parking area the road is covered in hard and high sided icy snow. We were only in a hatchback (Mazda 6) and our car couldn't cope passed the bridge, getting stuck. The two of us spent about 45 mins to an hour switching between driving and pushing the car before we managed to dislodge it and park up, just off the road before the small bridge.

We had intended to bag both Stuchd an Lochain & Meall Buidhe however things did not quite go to plan. Our first problem to overcome was getting the car stuck in the snow (see above). However the views of beautiful snow adorned mountains spurred us on.

We decided to tackle Stuchd an Lochain first because it was the more strenuous of the two and due to the lack of light we would have later in the afternoon if we were to ascend it after bagging Meall Buidhe. We walked passed the dam and headed towards the boat shed starting our ascent probably about 10 meters further west then the walkhighlands route suggests. My partner was in crampons and I was in my MICROspikes. Soon we hit a short stretch of steep ascent - Mr Crampons was up it no bother whilst I found myself falling a few times and having to do my first completely for real, although in retrospect maybe not completely necessary, ice axe arrest. I did forget to lift my feet so in a way it was good that I was in spikes :? . I had to heave myself up with my ice axe which was great fun. Once that little steep section was out of the way it was a straight slog up the hill. The snow was a mix of deep hard crusted snow and patches of softer stuff. Aside from the early steep section my spikes served me well and I was loving it :D

Unfortunately the wind became really strong as we were about to tackle the acsent to 888 meters before approaching Sron Chona Choirein. At certain points I wasn't too sure I'd be able to stay upright. With snow flurries starting to blow all around us my partner decided that we should probably turn back. I was 70% "keep going and at least bag one Munro today" and 30% "yeah - you're probably right". But he was adamant that we should turn back, so I reluctantly agreed.

Shame we didn't get to tick Stuchd an Lochain & Meall Buidhe off our list but hey - I still had great time hiking in the snow :D

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

9-1.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg
Last edited by SMRussell on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Not quite Stuchd an Lochain

Postby Huck Finn » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:12 pm

I really enjoyed this walk a few weeks back, we did not have any of the white stuff though, we also did not have any views from the top :(
Good report and some cracking pics :thumbup:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby SMRussell » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Huck Finn wrote:I really enjoyed this walk a few weeks back, we did not have any of the white stuff though, we also did not have any views from the top :(
Good report and some cracking pics :thumbup:

Cheers Huck! Sorry to hear of your lack of views - darn clag! We may have had views but not from the top - next year we'll revisit them and tick them off the list.

Some of the shots turned out pretty well - It was all about the wide angle lens today.
SMRussell

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:01 am

It was a cracking day for photos, I was really happy with the ones I took on our walk up Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich, clear skies today again, having a go at Challum, it beat us at the end of last winter, so it's a revisit for me, should be good if my legs can manage two days in a row :lol:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:58 am

Wow - you have a lovely set of photos there and really bigged up this walk. Very nice.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby SMRussell » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:11 am

kevsbald wrote:Wow - you have a lovely set of photos there and really bigged up this walk. Very nice.

Cheers Kev :D Shame I wasn't able to get some summit shots! I'm sure for those with more experience in the snow this would have seemed more straight forward but I think my partner was right in wanting us to turn back. Unfortunately we'll have to come back and do these two another time and we'll no doubt be faced with bog monsters rather than crisp snow.
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:32 am

The views from Meall Buidhe are fantastic, shame you didnt do that 1st.

Looks like a great day weather wise - i was out for 11hrs yesterday and 8 of them in whiteout conditions :shock:

Nice photos :D

Thats the problem now with winter walks....getting the car to start points.

Oh i wish santa would bring me a 4x4.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:39 pm

Some great photos there SM , looks pretty wild up high though , hopefully there will get plenty calm, clear days for you to revisit these this winter . I was hoping to do one or both of these over Christmas so thanks for the info on the road . :)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby Jockstar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:28 pm

I did the two of these in better weather and I really love Stuchd an Lochain. At the end of last summer Su amd myself wild camped at the dam so we had an early start to do the 4 munros in Glen Lyon and again had a great time even though the weather was very wet. :D I think the photos are super and i'll be looking for the walk report for the success of climbing these two munros. Good time to try out the crampons and axe. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby SMRussell » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:53 pm

dooterbang wrote:The views from Meall Buidhe are fantastic, shame you didnt do that 1st

Awww don't make me feel worse!

dooterbang wrote: Thats the problem now with winter walks....getting the car to start points.

Oh i wish santa would bring me a 4x4.

Amen to that!

Gavin99 wrote: hopefully there will get plenty calm, clear days for you to revisit these this winter . I was hoping to do one or both of these over Christmas so thanks for the info on the road . :)

That's quite alright - hope you have better luck than us and your car handles it better than ours - the engine shield didn't make it out in one piece! We could hear the grit pinging against the metal on the drive home :?

Jockstar wrote: I think the photos are super and i'll be looking for the walk report for the success of climbing these two munros. Good time to try out the crampons and axe. :D

Thanks Jockstar! Fingers crossed we manage to get back out there soon (although after the damage to the car I think we might have to steer clear until the snow has lessened somewhat). It was ACE getting some good ice axe action :D
SMRussell

Postby nathan79 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:18 am

Pity you didn't make the top.
I did SaL in the summer and been meaning to get back to do Meall Buidhe, i think i'll leave it until spring judging by your report on the road.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby MarilynMunro » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:42 am

Sorry to hear you didn't achieve what you set out for, but better safe than sorry, think the last pic sums it up.
The rest aren't too shabby either.
Cheers for posting
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland