walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

When the forecast looks dubious head for the Grahams!

When the forecast looks dubious head for the Grahams!

Postby agrubb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Caorach, Meall Reamhar

Date walked: 18/12/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After hearing tales from our friend SMRussell about their experience of poor weather up a munro the day before, reading other walk reports, and the gale force gusts forecast, we (me and fellow WH member EwaMH) opted for some lower level walking this weekend. Meall nan Caorach and Meall Reamhar, our first Grahams, were our picks!

We started our walk from the village hall in Amulree. We were the only ones there and had to manoeuvre the car over a dodgy ice covered entrance to the carpark. Looking West we got a nice view of a hill we weren't able to identify (can anyone help?) it looked awesome and did consider going over there but then we remembered why we opted for Grahams in the first place!
1 An Awesome view west to a hill we can't figure out the name of.JPG

The walk started by going back along the road towards a landrover track on the left. This was a nice wee ice free stroll which we would later appreciate a lot!
2 A Walk back along the road.JPG

Once the landrover track was reached we continued along its icy paths taking in the views opening up behind us as we went . An absence of crampons meant that we actually spent more time wading through the heather (and sometimes deep snow) next to the track as it was sheet ice for the majority of it!
3 Along the landrover track.JPG
4  A view to the west...to Lawers.JPG

Finally reaching the base of Meall nan Caorach we began our ascent with ice axes in hand just in case. Evidently we picked a relatively steep section to climb, but we were keen to stick on this route as this was only our second winter walk in the snow and it meant we could get a bit more experience in fairly safe surroundings.
5 At the base of Meall nan Caorach.JPG

As we continued up some lovely views started opening up and soon forgot that we weren't actually that high!
6 Ascending Meall nan Caorach.JPG
7 Looking over to Graham no 2 Meall Reamhar.JPG

Once on the summit views in every direction were stunning! Any dissapointment with not ticking a munro box faded immediately. The good thing with these two hills being the biggest in the immediate area was that we weren't left the feeling of wanting to climb something bigger that was towering over us and mocking us as we went!
8 Me on the Summit.JPG
9 Ewa on the Summit.JPG
10 Schiehallion.JPG
11 Towards the Cairngorms.JPG

Conveniently a line of fence posts basically joins the two summits of the day up and this was the route we chose to ascend Meall Reamhar. As we did the clouds came in and gave us a day of two halves (and pictures that look like we were out on two separate days).
12 At the base of Meall Reamhar.JPG
13 A change in the clouds.JPG
14 Ascending Meall Reamhar.JPG
15 Mountain Hare.JPG

Towards the summit we began to lose our lower legs in the snow and the slope began to steepen which required some all fours and ice axe action to keep going (hence no photos of this) but good fun nevertheless!! Soon we reached the summit and while there were no longer crisp blue skies the clouds were quite dramatic and atmospheric!
16 Ewa at the Summit.JPG
17 Towards Cairngorms.JPG

We then decended back towards the landrover track while practising our self arresting and general sliding about skills on the way :D

When back on the (now even icier) track the sun decided to greet us again although a few snow flakes did fall.
18 On the home straight.JPG

As mentioned previously, finshing the walk on the solid ground of the road (usually not the best way to end a walk) was actually a relief after the ice of the track.

This was a really great wee walk as we got everything we wanted from it: more experience in the snow, fantastic views, physical challenge and aching legs that told us we worked hard! :lol: Highly recommended - in snow at least!
agrubb

Munros:219   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5

Re: When the forecast looks dubious head for the Grahams!

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:52 pm

i enjoyed that nice report :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby agrubb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks Collaciotach :D
agrubb

Postby SMRussell » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:02 pm

I'm very pleased to see you breaking your forum silence! I hope to see a posting from Ewa in the not too distant future.

Ace first report. Really like the "A change in the clouds" photo :D

I've eyed these two before during one of my attempts to get RTMcB interested in the smaller hills - not much luck so far! But hopefully when he cracks we can pick your brains further on the best route.

Nice one.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby SMRussell » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:17 pm

The hill looks like it might be Meal Dearg another Graham north of Loch Freuchie...
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:45 pm

I believe the hill is Meall nam Fuaran, across Glen Lochan from the Graham Beinn na Gainimh. The east facing crags are quite distinctive.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby agrubb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Graeme, thanks for that, think you have hit the nail on the head!

Sian, thanks for the comments. They were good ones to do and really easy to navigate given that they are right next to each other! Beinn na Gainimh might be another good Graham to do to get views of said Meall nam Fuaran.
agrubb

Postby Redrock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:22 am

I enjoyed your report and it looks like you had a cracking day - despite a dodgy forecast! It's great when the weather beats the forecast! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:36 am

Nice wee report - ain't done these yet (as so many others) but will lock this one away.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 am

Just proves you dont have to do the "bigger hills" to have a great time.

Nice 1st report and some great photos.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby agrubb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:21 pm

kevsbald wrote:Nice wee report - ain't done these yet (as so many others) but will lock this one away.

Thanks kevsbald. Yep it was a nice wee area that I had never been too before..parts of it felt like a mini west coast.

Redrock wrote:I enjoyed your report and it looks like you had a cracking day - despite a dodgy forecast! It's great when the weather beats the forecast! :lol:

Too right...although I'm wanting to get out in the next couple of days but I'm not sure I want to chance the weather triumphing over the forecast this time!

dooterbang wrote:Just proves you dont have to do the "bigger hills" to have a great time.
Nice 1st report and some great photos.

Cheers, it certainly does and is just as well, I'm starting to run out of bigger hills closer to home.
agrubb

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland