walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wee walk to the local

Wee walk to the local

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Route description: Greeto Mast and the Gogo Glen, Largs

Date walked: 19/12/2011

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 4.2 km

Ascent: 247m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With too many things do do at the weekend, I had to ignore the hills up north , but had to go for a wee walk on Saturday as I could not ignore the beautiful day. I decided to go for a wee walk up my 'local ' hill which is literally just a few minutes walk away from my front door. There are a few different walks you can do over the hills but being short on time I opted for the walk through the forest to the Greeto Falls. Well thats what the local call it anyway. Equipped with my camera to take some winter photos I set off.
The walk winds it way along the Gogo Burn and from what I remembered was boggy at some places. Well fallen trees and landslides did their best in the past recent years to make this walk into a slalom course around,underneath and over fallen tree and the ground felt like the bog breading ground. Within the first ten minutes I realized that I would have to add another washing to my 'have to do list' last weekend. But all it all I enjoyed the wee walk and got some pretty photos...

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Largs up the Greetos 002.jpg
The start of the path through the forest
Largs up the Greetos 005.jpg
Fallen trees everywhere but it is still pretty
Largs up the Greetos 012.jpg
Bog breeding ground, but I trees covered in moss are really pretty
Largs up the Greetos 018.jpg
Yuck! So much for...who needs gaiters at home...
Largs up the Greetos 017.jpg
The hills come into view - at that stage I was fed up with the forest and pretty glad we dont have to deal with a lot of forest (one good thing about people in the past cutting down all the trees!!)
Largs up the Greetos 032.jpg
If you continue from here you could walk nearly all the way to Glasgow...
Largs up the Greetos 053.jpg
The pool is called 'The cats eye' and is used by the local children as a dare...they will jump into the water from different levels on the right hand site next to the waterfall
Largs up the Greetos 055.jpg
The area which is called 'The Greeto Falls' A lovely bathin spot in summer
Largs up the Greetos 058.jpg
The easy path - a great path for running
Largs up the Greetos 065.jpg
Walk towards Largs
Largs up the Greetos 069.jpg
The hills of Arran in the distance

And some of my close up shots....

Fern.jpg
Waterfall.jpg
Waterdrop.jpg
Fungy.jpg
Moss.jpg
Sheep.jpg
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Wee walk to the local

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Some stunning pics there mountainlove.

See, you don't have to be living dangerously on the edge of a mountain to have a good time and get great pictures! Still, I'm surprised you didn't take the plunge in the Cat's Eye, even at this time of year... :wink:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby dogplodder » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks for this. My parents used to live in Seamill so we were often in Largs. I never did this walk but loved reading your report and seeing the pics! :D

Your close up photos are amazing.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Redrock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:28 am

A great wee walk and an excellent set of close up pics! :D I presume the close-ups were all from the walk? It just shows us the beauty that's all around us! Thanks! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:42 am

BoyVertiginous wrote:Some stunning pics there mountainlove.
See, you don't have to be living dangerously on the edge of a mountain to have a good time and get great pictures! Still, I'm surprised you didn't take the plunge in the Cat's Eye, even at this time of year... :wink:

Many thanks :-) although living on a cliffs edge is still great for some more unusual pictures...saying that ...you cant beat a wee walk sometimes! The cats eye...urgh I stood on the bit where the kids jump in and thought...I guess I passed that age...saying that the water is freezing!!! Even in summer :lol: :lol:

dogplodder wrote:Thanks for this. My parents used to live in Seamill so we were often in Largs. I never did this walk but loved reading your report and seeing the pics! :D
Your close up photos are amazing.

Thank you :D I will try to add some more walk reports from the Largs hills as there are some pretty good ones, which havent been done so far.

RTC wrote:I enjoyed the pictures very much?
Can I pick your brain? Is there a recognised walk from Largs to Blaeloch Hill? Thanks.

The answer to that is yes and no. There is supposingly a walk from Kelburn Castle over the Haylie Brae to Largs. So I am guessing to do Blaeloch Hill, you would walk to the Sundial (Viewpoint) up Douglas Park turn right over the Haylie Brae towards the top of the forrest at the top of Kellburn and walk up the hill and return via Kelburn Castle and back along the prom.
I havent done that walk yet but saw a sign around Kelburn pointing to the walk to Largs.

Redrock wrote:A great wee walk and an excellent set of close up pics! :D I presume the close-ups were all from the walk? It just shows us the beauty that's all around us! Thanks! 8)

Yes the close up shots are from the same day and walk :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby MacAoidh » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:18 am

Enjoyed your report and pictures. A walk to the Greeto is a regular stretch of the legs for me as I've lived in Largs all of my life. Your picture of the pool brought back so many memories as I used to jump off the ledge in my youth; don’t think I’d have the nerve to do it now.
MacAoidh

Munros:282   Corbetts:93
Fionas:106   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:6   

Postby morag1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 am

Nice report with some lovely photos

Just shows you can still have a good time in the hills without going too far from home :D
morag1

Postby alfredo143 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Great report and photos :D Like the close up of the waterfall. :D Amazing what is on your doorstep. :lol: It's not all about Monros etc. Well done :clap: :clap:
alfredo143
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland