walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui 1st and last

Ben Lui 1st and last

Postby skyedave » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lui

Date walked: 15/12/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 1130m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It looked like a nice day to take my nephew up his 1st full winter Munro, clear skies, no wind and a nice bit of snow and it is a quite straight forward kind of route. I was hoping for about 5 hours or so.

1st things 1st for those who have done this hill in winter you will remember the river to cross. The poor lad thought I was joking earlier when I said we had to get our socks and boots off.

Not to shy away from a bit of cold water he was in and was over pretty quick, it was absolutely freezing. Anyway off we went up the hill, through the forest and mud fest. Then it was about half way up the river when the forestry signs said no access sorry for any inconvenience. That was the start of this long day.

We eventually broke clear of the forest and up onto the snow line, a bit soft then a bit soft and deeper, then deeper and after 2 hours we were still snow hurdling our way up. Im getting on a bit and with 2 twenty somethings for company I was beginning to feel the pace.

Thank goodness that at about 800m I was able to get crampons on with some ice under foot. ( I do love my crampons). Th pace was better now but the nice day was turning into a typical highland day just wait 10 minutes and it will all change again. I was thinking what a lovely day it must be in Tyndrum. By the time we got to the top the weather had closed in so not even a view for our efforts.

A quick snack and after a cup of tea we decided that it would be dark before we got to the bottom so we headed for home and a pint in Paddy's in mind. Now I think it is very unfair in life when you have fought your way up a hill and find that you have to fight your way back down. The snow was just as soft and even more deep down from the beallach to the forest and then to my joy and delight the bog fest was even more bog than before.

In all it was a lovely highland day to take my nephew up his 1st winter Munro. I don't think the poor lad will come again.
Attachments
IMG_1073.JPG
A touch cold
IMG_1088.JPG
Think this was the top, top enough for me today.
IMG_1095.JPG
A bit of falling over training for the boys.
IMG_1085.JPG
Cup of tea time and campons on at last
IMG_1083.JPG
Heading up the broad shoulder of Ben Lui
IMG_1084.JPG
Weather was closing in and out but mostly in
IMG_1093.JPG
The way down was a bit steep in places
skyedave
Munro compleatist

Munros:65   

Re: Ben Lui 1st and last

Postby mgmt! » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:43 pm

nice one skydave, nothing like a wet day on the mountain for some male bonding :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Lui 1st and last

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:10 am

well done guys.. im sure he will back out!
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland