walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lovely walk up a great wee mountain!

Lovely walk up a great wee mountain!

Postby MusicalHiker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 21/09/2010

Distance: 4.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had wanted to climb this mountain for a while, it is so recognisable with its rugged, rocky top. We were down on holiday from Orkney and staying in Kylesku for a week, so here was the perfect opportunity! Graham is my other half, but his knees are not good and we had walked about ten miles the previous day. Being a man, however, he insisted he could do Stac Pollaidh as well..... and as we approached the car park, the top was clear :)
DSC_0181.JPG

We set off up the path to the right, and it was immediately quite steep. We saw just one other couple on the way. After a while Graham had to admit defeat and headed back to the car to read a book while I carried on alone. I kept passing/being passed by the other couple, who doubtless wondered what on earth I'd done with Graham!! The path is very straightforward and carries on up and round the back where you can take the extremely steep route to the top, which I did, while stopping regularly to admire the incredible views! Suilven looks very enticing from here!
IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

I bounded enthusiastically up the path, although I did not make the true summit as I was alone and it involves a tricky scramble I believe. I was alone at the top and it was a very exposed and remote feeling. The car park was a tiny speck far below! I hoped Graham was having a nice nap!
IMG_0721.JPG

One step in the wrong direction and you'd be off the edge, it was exhilarating. The mountains and lochs all spread around below look so gorgeous.
IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

After a while wandering about on the windy "summit" I went back down the path and carried on round the mountain. From here is was very easy and more great views. I was very lucky with the weather; dry, cool and breezy. I was back to the car in about 3 hours and would love to do it again!
DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: Lovely walk up a great wee mountain!

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Very nice indeed.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:19 am

I love this wee mountain.

Was on this for my 40th this year.

Stunning views in all directions.

Thanks for posting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:30 pm

dooterbang wrote:I love this wee mountain.

Was on this for my 40th this year.

Stunning views in all directions.

Thanks for posting.

thought you were 40 10years ago!
ive always fancied this wee hill too
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby colgregg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:18 pm

I too never made it to the true summit even with scrambling experience and I reckon more don't than do. Gave it a try and possibly could have done it with a struggle but thought sod it, why risk an injury and spoil things. I'd had three great days on my first ever trip in the Scottish mainland mountains and was totally satisfied soaking up the sun on the second top just before the Rock tower.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13158
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby MusicalHiker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:59 pm

What amazing weather you had there - lovely blue skies! I am not experienced at scrambling but don't feel the need to reach the summit of mountains, and I'm not an obsessive summit bagger (yet)!! It did look a bit scary though. Not worth the risk, indeed!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland