walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee 6, Spider 100 !

Glenshee 6, Spider 100 !

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 27/12/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well the day was set for the 27th, this would be the day I reached 100 Munro’s, IF we completed the full 6. Had already planned a couple of escape routes just in case, but Scoob managed to pick out one day of the week when the forecast was to be on our side.

There was to be 6 of us today, myself, Scoob999, Louise, Fi, StevieM and Gary.

We met up at 0830 at the start of the walk near the northern car park from the ski centre. It was a 0430 alarm for me, god I could have stayed in bed as I couldn’t get to sleep the night before…am I still getting excited the day before a big walk ?

After dropping Scoobs car off at the South car park, we regrouped at the start and were on our way around 0900 heading off towards Carn an Tuirc which looks close from the start and probably is. I had my usual trouble getting into gear and a stop on route to remove the jacket, soon found a pace to suit the direct ascent !

View back to the start and the disappearance of all the snow I’d seen just a week ago on Cairnwell was incredible… did I really need my winter boots ?

P1000314.JPG
View back to the start

315.jpg
gear stop on ascent of Carn and Tuirc

Summit of Carn an Tuirc soon reached, the next part of the route could be confusing especially in the clag, but no such problem today as visibility was good despite a lack of sun. However, this section could still be confusing but having plotted a couple of waypoints in advance to keep the most level line it was onto Tolmount, which at this point wasn’t obvious in the distance.

318.jpg
Carn an Tuirc

320.jpg
Cairn an Tuirc view to Cairnwell

Good few snow patches, now firm, on the way and a chance for some ice axe practice on one. Good laugh here as various non recommended techniques were demonstrated, with Gary going for the mid slide hack at the snow, only to carry on down with axe embedded mid slope. Louise trying similar but hanging onto her axe, but discarding poles on route. I now had the pleasure of sliding down a gear strewn slope,, poles I could handle but didn’t fancy sliding down onto an axe so I rescued the poles and awaited Gary gingerly climbing back up to rescue his axe !

321.jpg
Tolmount ascent

324.jpg
Team review of the ice axe video

323.jpg
View to Lochnagar, Broad Cairn and Mt Keen

After much laughter and ice axe malarchy we continued to Tolmount now clear to us and a gentle slope to the summit with views of Lochnagar, Broad Cairn, and Mount Keen.

This was a topical spot for Scoob as this was where he had bedded down for the night at the summit, only a stones throw from a derelict building that would probably have afforded more cover than he had enjoyed whilst awaiting to be acquainted with the Braemar MRT on a past visit !

325.jpg
Scoob taking a close up of where he'd slept !

After a lunch stop here, well it was 1200hrs, and plenty of photos, plus a review of the ice axe video, what a bunch ! Tom Buidhe was clear and not too far off, so we headed off towards the flat area and then left to the summit, where having had lunch already we didn’t hand around as we had plenty more to do !

326.jpg
Next target Tom Buidhe across the dip

327.jpg
Tom B summit me and Fi posing !

328.jpg
Ok enough now I'm nodding off !

329.jpg
Scoob and Gary's turn to pose

330.jpg
and Fi and Louise

It was quite a haul to Carn of Claise across the plateau but with good vis no need for map or GPS still, and the weather was holding.

Carn of Claise marked no 4 of the day and no 98 for me…getting close and nothing appearing to stop me now.

The next two are roughly the same distance apart and having just plodded across the plateau to Claise the climb up Glas Maol passed relatively easy (he says) and from there the same distance again would have us at the top of the final summit Creag Leacach.

336.jpg
Look girls this is how you do it !

Time was on our side, although we were already reckoning on a finish by torchlight !

344.jpg
On Glas maol summit view to the last summit

346.jpg
You all coming or what, we're burning daylight

The walk from Glas Maol was pleasant enough, a fine ‘ridge’ with plenty of snow still held in the eastern flanks, we continued up to the first rise and onto the summit as cloud began to roll in across the Cairnwell but still we were in the clear.

Creag Leacach…100…in the bag, Wow ! Celebratory pics and bugger I’d forgot the flask for the token dram again !

354.jpg
100 !

But its not over yet as darkness drew near we set off down to the bealach with Meall Gorm before a right turn to meet the burn that would take us back to Scoobs car.

Louise had knee trouble setting in here but thankfully with Stevie leading the way, on what turned out to be a not too steep drop, across sketchy paths we reached the river. I say sketchy but that may just be due to the darkness now upon us.

I filled up with water and tried to add a chlorine tablet but the stupid tabs have a chlorine one and a neutraliser (to take away the swimming pool taste) both in silver foil with the name on each. You ever tried reading 1mm writing on a silver foil by headtorch aged 52 (well almost) !!!! Given I’d only dispensed the one tab (chlorine first) and the fact the water didn’t taste of swimming pool when I reached the car it must have been a neutraliser I’d used Doh ! Still 24hrs later and I havn’t used the loo anymore than usual !

The route out along the river was tricky, a path marked on maps but all we could find was where others had presumably made their way across the embankment through the heather and at this point in the day it was a bit tortuous. Eventually we plopped out by a proper track (maybe it was higher above the river ?) and I checked GPS to ensure we headed straight for the car (don’t want mistakes at this point) and Scoobs car came into view through the now drizzle that was forecast to set in at the end of the day.

We all bundle into the car, yours truly in the boot, and off to the start which we duely arrived at having missed it te first time and a quick u turn we were there.

A cracking day in good weather, some wind but unlike recent trips no trouble standing up, more new pals and some good laughs, couldn’t ask for more….Oh nearly forgot did I mention I reached 100 !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Glenshee 6, Spider 100 !

Postby rocket-ron » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:31 pm

well done guys and well done dave for hitting 100. When i was out with you last. You where not to sure if you would hit 100
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Cheers Ron, that was thanks to Scoob for picking out a 6 in one day, I must confess I didn't think there was any like that left, especially this time of year !

Next target to reach the halfway mark of 140 ish ! :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby scoob999 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:36 pm

[youtube]http://youtu.be/DiFBqiiN3_k[/youtube]Another great report spider, i'm still laughing about that bank of snow
Attachments
Glas Maol_051.JPG
If it had been any colder you would've been walking out with that rock stuck to your lips haha
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Congratulations on reaching 100, looks like you all had a fun day :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Bod » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Yep, congratualations and well done, 100 is a special number on your munro count! Still trying to decide which number is the next special one? Good to remember a Corbett or two as well....great stuff
:D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby quoman » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:28 pm

well done spiderwebb

on the ton mark you all looked to have a good day for it will be doing the 6 hopefully in the next couple of week
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pigeon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Well done on the ton :thumbup: Can't believe you forgot the dram though :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Excellent and well done.

This is a route I have planned for my trip in the Summer, you have convinced me I can do it and increase my Munro count to well short of 100 :lol: :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:32 pm

Congratulations on reaching 100!!!!

Fantastic, informative report!!!

Love the video, did you mean to play human skittles???? :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Louise » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Another great day out. Love the report Spider, makes it seems like a walk in the park lol.
es
Congratulations again on you 100th :)

Still laughing at video too & yes Polly, points were being scored for human skittles :lol: :lol:

Louise
Louise
Hill Bagger

Munros:91   Corbetts:11
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:10   

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:39 pm

well done on getting to 100!
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jonny616 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:20 pm

Well done Spider. A great achievement!

It is amazing how quickly the snow has gone
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Well done on reaching 100 Dave.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:28 am

Congratulations on the ton :thumbup: Looks like you had great fun, especially on that bank of snow :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland