walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long miserable walk in constant driving rain

A long miserable walk in constant driving rain

Postby JohnJoe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:54 pm

Date walked: 31/12/2011

Time taken: 6.45

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1202m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not one of my favourite walks this; 7 hours in the driving rain with a disobedient dog on a short leash which made everything from drinking tea to having a slash difficult.

SNV30349.JPG
Naughty dog

Still, on the plus side, I used a compass for the first time and was amazed at how it just guided me through pathless bogs in the mist with uncanny accuracy. I instantly had more faith in it than any satnav I've ever used (not to mention my own sense of direction).

SNV30343.JPG
The bleakness which forced me to use a compass for the first time

SNV30348.JPG

I saw about 10 people on the whole walk, four of them fairly harmless looking men with shotguns. The rest were just very wet looking people.

SNV30352.JPG
More general bleakness on the second peak

Nice pint in the seventeenth century inn afterwards. The roof was leaking a bit, but not as much as my new jacket did today. So much for gortex!

SNV30353.JPG
wet camera

leaking cock.jpg
pub just down the road (45 mins drive)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Re: A long miserable walk in constant driving rain

Postby Rekrab » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:55 pm

This TR is one of the best i've ever read.
has similar experience with Kevin6956849894 recently on Ben Dorain. had to take a complete change of everything I was wearing and have it ready back in the car for when we got back down.
just Drookit.
I made a TR but just added it for the stats on me page didn't share that but I might now having seen yours!!

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby yokehead » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Yes, a quite brilliant report. Marvellous to see how the highs and lows, not to mention despair, are captured in so few words and pictures. :D Good stuff on having a go with the compass for the first time, it is a bit like magic that it works!

Let me know what jacket you have, so I don't get one! :lol:

Love the leakings! :lol: :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby JohnJoe » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Cheers for your comments!

The jacket is a Berghaus gortex packlite shell. It's about as thick as a bin liner.
JohnJoe
Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland