walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wind after New Years Eve!

Wind after New Years Eve!

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arthur's Pike, Bonscale Pike, Loadpot Hill, Wether Hill

Hewitts included on this walk: Loadpot Hill

Date walked: 02/01/2012

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 13.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a great night out in Lancashire on the 31st the plan was to get up and travel to Cumbria for a walk on the fells....Durhhh my head was hurting any way I blame all them Scotsmen for encouraging me to have another wee dram!! :? Seriously we had a hoot of a night and my thanks go out to those friendly people from Glasgow

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So a day late we were on the 2nd of January but I was eagerly looking forward to the walk with a clear head, but with a wee dram in my hip flask, just in case it got cold :crazy:

Set of from Howtown and walked up the Fusedale valley, the objective being the summit of Whether Hill at 2210 ft
P1010152.JPG
Looking up towards the Head of Fusedale

The higher we climbed the better the views became and I had my first view of the white stuff this winter, not much, but it certainly feels good to be out here today. Not another sole to be seen anywhere

P1010157.JPG
Looking back with Steel Knotts and Blencathra in the far distance.
P1010160.JPG
A little higher up and Skiddaw comes into view
P1010164.JPG
At the summit Hellvelyn and Catstycam was in clear view in this picture Striding Edge is clearly seen and the path leading up to the hole in the wall is visible too. iI was now a straight forward walk towards Lowther House or what is left of it ,just a few stones left now at the once proud shooting lodge. The wind lifted at this point and snow showers were ever present Yippee :D
P1010165.JPG
Looking back towards Wether Hill and the High Street range, with the ruins of Lowther House on Loadpot Hill in the foreground.The picture does not show it but I had difficulty standing up as I took this picture and it was getting colder by the minute, making it difficult to take pictures due to my cold hands and face when turned into the wind. Our next objective Aurthurs Pike was on the horizon, which we made in good time, howevr it was at this point where we turned for the home stretch over Bonscale Pike and we were walking straight into a howling gale. This was certainly tough and definitely a lot harder than I had imagined, the freshly fallen snow was turning to ice almost immediately. It was going to be tricky getting down off Bonscale Pike as the initial part is very steep.So on with the crampons and I am pleased to have them to because the slope was well iced over as we decended.
P1010167.JPG
P1010171.JPG
Ullswater from Bonscale Pike
The views were quite good and i had my new camera with me but the cold wind was so bad that it was a struggle to get the gloves of to hold camera out never mind take a picture. However a good days walk was had and a further 4 Wainwrights knocked off my tally. :D
P1010172.JPG
Still along way down
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Wind after New Years Eve!

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm

Enjoyed your report Geoff and liked the photos :D Always get great views around Ullswater!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: Wind after New Years Eve!

Postby yokehead » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Nice job on these deserted hills, cheers! :D Love the photos, especially the wintry brooding atmosphere you've captured in 165. 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland