walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Bridge cameras...

Bridge cameras...

Postby sloosh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Anyone got any thoughts on bridge cameras? I'm awfy tempted to get one as I like the idea of a ridiculous zoom lens.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Re: Bridge cameras...

Postby Tinto63 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:53 pm

You might find it too bulky and heavy to carry on the hill. There can also be the problem of image stabilisation and image quality at the zoom end. But they can be good for wildlife photography.

You may find that something like a Panasonic TZ20 with a 16x zoom, good image stabilisation and weighing 219g is better for the hills, there are similar cameras by other makers.

I have a much older TZ3 with10x zoom and find this adequate in good light. I also have a Canon G11 with a 5x zoom and this takes better quality pictures (it has a larger sensor) but weighs over 400g and is less convenient when hillwalking.

Depending on your budget you could also look at CSC (compact system cameras) like the Sony Nex 3 or Olympus EPL3 with interchangeable lenses.

Why not visit a couple of dealers and handle a range of cameras and see what seems right for you - but don't buy until you check online prices!

I have added a couple of shots by way of comparison but remember these have been compressed for this site.

P1030368.JPG
TZ3 on the Aonach Eagach

IMG_2808.JPG
G11 Craignaw from Dungeon Hill
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:14 pm

I bought a bridge camera a while back and havnt really taken it out of bag when on the hills, but weather playing a part in that too. The few times I have taken it out was impressed with it, but thats only judging it against phone camera.

If your buying one bit of advice join groupon, I got a 4 hr course that normally costs £250 for £30 :D
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby sloosh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Tinto63 wrote:You might find it too bulky and heavy to carry on the hill. There can also be the problem of image stabilisation and image quality at the zoom end. But they can be good for wildlife photography.

Yes, I've been thinking a lot about these points. The weight does concern me as does the physical dimensions of the unit itself. From what I've read about the latest models they have inbuilt image stabilisation to help deal with the wobble at the long end of the zoom.

You may find that something like a Panasonic TZ20 with a 16x zoom, good image stabilisation and weighing 219g is better for the hills, there are similar cameras by other makers.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Depending on your budget you could also look at CSC (compact system cameras) like the Sony Nex 3 or Olympus EPL3 with interchangeable lenses.

Oh, maybe that's what I meant? Compact camera systems? Dunno. I get confused. :? :)

Why not visit a couple of dealers and handle a range of cameras and see what seems right for you - but don't buy until you check online prices!

Y'know, I did just that yesterday, visiting 3 different shops but they had very slim pickings on offer so I couldn't really find any of the models I was interested in.

The ones that have caught my eye were the Olympus SP-810UZ and the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS - both with outrageous super zooms but they're expensive so I'm swithering a lot.

Tomsie wrote:I bought a bridge camera a while back and havnt really taken it out of bag when on the hills, but weather playing a part in that too. The few times I have taken it out was impressed with it, but thats only judging it against phone camera.

Which one, if you don't mind me asking?
sloosh

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:22 pm

I treated myself to a Nikon 18-200VR lens last autumn and really love it - that's for a DSLR. I used to have a bigger telephoto but missed so many shots faffing about changing lenses.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby The Old Man of Storr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:24 pm

I must carry about a kilo of dSLR and wide angle lens around with me, and a lot of the time, thew light is so poor that it hardly seems worth it. But, every so often, you get a stunning shot (like this one, he says modestly) which, in my opinion, makes it all worthwhile.
However, there is a saying that the best camera is the one you have with you. If you think you won't take a heavy bridge or dSLR, don't buy one!
DSC_8421.jpg
The Old Man of Storr
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   
Hewitts:91
Wainwrights:202   

Postby sloosh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:32 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:If you think you won't take a heavy bridge or dSLR, don't buy one!

Oh, I would take it with me. The problem is it would end up in the rucksack along with the map and the satnav, never to come out except to get at my sandwiches. :lol:

I absolutely know a dslr would never come out apart from once in a blue moon and I think I would end up like Paul - missing the shot faffing about with lenses, hence looking at bridge cameras.
sloosh

Postby soulminer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:42 pm

I bought a Pentax X90- 26x zoom and think it was well worth the cash. Not to heavy, carried outside in suitable case, even carry a lightweight tripod- on occasions. Maybe worth a look :)
soulminer

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi
Have a look at the canon sx130is I bought this to save carrying my heavy canon 40d out in this crap weather, but i will be taking it on some of the more photogenic hills.
The sx130 takes good pics, almost indistinguishable "phew" from the 40d on a pc screen, and to be honest, i dont think you'd be able to tell printed out to a4 size or even bigger.
It has a 12x zoom and a 28mm wide angle lens, not to bad for landscape. Do prefer my 17-40l though!
Compact for its size but a bit heavy on batteries. It takes two AA's it is better with the IS switched of untill a photo is taken
see some pics here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16618
And there are reviews on the net.
I picked this up for just over £100 and i'm very happy with it so far
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:06 pm

[/quote]
Which one, if you don't mind me asking?[/quote]

FugiFilm Finepix S3300
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 pm

sloosh wrote:...The problem is it would end up in the rucksack along with the map and the satnav, never to come out except to get at my sandwiches...

I am the same, if I put my Fuji HS10 in my rucksack I often won't stop to faff about just to get the one shot. This is why I try to carry it in its own pouch around my neck from the start. It only goes in the rucksack if I get rained on.

The problem now is I stop much more frequently making my trips much longer and my hard drive is filling up very quickly.

I'm very happy with this camera but need more quality, seriously thinking about getting an entry level D-SLR proper now. When are the sales? :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Alastair S » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:57 pm

I used a Panasonic DMC-FZ28 for a couple of years and thought it was pretty nifty. A lot lighter and smaller than a full DSLR. I used to have it around my neck and tucked in my jacket most of the time. The zoom was useful for the odd wild life shot. The FZ28 has a x18 zoom which was just about fine but the newer models like the FZ45 & FZ100 have a x24 zoom. Even with optical stabilization when you get up to this level of zoom things start to get a bit unusable. Personally I'd go for something like the TZ20 - very compact with a decent unusable zoom.

This Flickr set was taken with my FZ28 and includes a couple of shots at full zoom.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Kevin29035 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:04 pm

I keep my SLR on the outside. Lowe Pro have a TLZ Mini which has a strap to put through the hipbelt - although that was the part to wear out first, it's lasted a long time. And I always get spur of the moment shots, even the fighter jets when they going by.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby sloosh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Alastair S wrote:The FZ28 has a x18 zoom which was just about fine but the newer models like the FZ45 & FZ100 have a x24 zoom. Even with optical stabilization when you get up to this level of zoom things start to get a bit unusable.

You reckon 35x zoom is a bit unusable then? Even with the image stabilisation? I was thinking a gorilla pod might be the answer there but of course there's every chance that wouldn't escape the event horizon that is my rucksack.

So many choices... :?
sloosh

Postby Alastair S » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:39 pm

sloosh wrote:You reckon 35x zoom is a bit unusable then?

I'd say it would be getting that way. A zoom like that would be useful for wild life shots but it would have to be a bright day as you would need shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 of a second. These camera don't have particularly fast lenses (the "f" numbers are high which means the lenses are slow) and don't perform well at high ISOs (film speed in old money). Also wild life doesn't tend to hang around for you to mess about with gorilla pods and the like.

For distant mountains x18 was fine for me (see the 'Schiehallion from Lochnagar' shot in the link I posted earlier). These days I spent most of my time down at the 15mm end of my 15-85mm lens and my next lens (if I ever get round to affording another one) would be a super wide angle one (10-20mm).
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk