walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach, circuit from Whitewell

Braeriach, circuit from Whitewell

Postby bigbertie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Route description: Braeriach, circuit from Whitewell

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 14/09/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

bio-man, sorry to hear you didn't complete the Braeriach circuit, but at least you made the top. I attach some pics from a trip in June 2007 when I walked in from Coylumbridge up Glen Einich it was also cloudy, and I pitched my tent beside the lochain in Coire an Lochain feeling a bit subdued. But late evening the cloud suddenly lifted.....
2007 06 05 015 web.jpg
9pm in Coire an Lochain

the next morning I got up at 5am when the sun hit the tent to find the whole of Scotland covered in a massive inversion. I rushed through breakfast and up onto Braeriach plateau, where I passed the reindeer herd standing on one of the remaining snow patches! There were amazing views......
2007 06 06 014 web.jpg
Carn a Mhaim (in cloud) from Braeriach

I didn't complete the circuit because I was continuing to Blair Atholl (via Cairn Toul, Beinn Bhrotain, Glen Tilt) and with another night's camping. I hope you get better weather next time. BigB
bigbertie

Re: Braeriach, circuit from Whitewell

Postby bio-man » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Excellent pics especially the second one. For a brief moment, the cloud cover lifted and there was an excellent view of a sheer drop to the Lairig Ghru. In an instant it was gone!! heading back on Saturday for a repeat and try for the whole plateau and see if I can see the ptarmigans agian!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland