walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Drochaide Curcuit

Carn na Drochaide Curcuit

Postby Alastair S » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Route description: Càrn na Drochaide, from Linn of Quoich

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn na Drochaide

Date walked: 02/01/2012

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 575m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20120102.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Carn na Drochaide profile.jpg

With consistently dire forecasts over the holiday period I was tempted out by a predicted 60% chance of a cloud free Munro. The fact that the same forecast mentioned 50-80 mph winds was by the by. I settled on Carn na Drochaide as it was close, not so high and a fairly short outing. Up early (as is my want) and on the road before 7am. The A93 to Braemar was fine - snow & ice free. From Braemar there was a cm of fresh snow and I was delighted with the performance of my new winter tyres. Not surprisingly I was the first car at the small Linn of Quoich parking area although there were a quite few cars in the Linn of Dee car park. On my way at the crack of dawn (8:15) with clear skies to the east. However the weather was coming from the other direction and it didn't look too good. Followed the route from this site on the way out - missed turn on the way up but it didn't really make much difference as the heather on this bit of the hillside was short and the snow was only a few cms deep. Got back on course before the Creag a'Cheirich top where the weather was still fairly benign - windy but by no stretch of the imagination a gale. The view south to Braemar and Glen Clunie was pretty good but the view north was fairly limited. In good weather the views of Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird must be superb.

Allanmore Sunrise
A few metres up the side Carn na Drochaide of overlooking the cottage of Allanmore. View is due south with Morrone on the right. Taken one minute before sunrise.

View West From Allanmore
View west taken from the same point as previous photo. Sgòr Mòr is the nearest hill in view (to the right). As the weather was coming from this direction I was quite hopeful of further good weather but an hour later the snow set in for the rest of my day.

Glen Clunie
Taken from the Creag a'Cheirich bit of Carn a Dronhaide looking south down Glen Clunie.

Meall an t-Slugain & Meall Glasail Mòr
Another from the Creag a'Cheirich looking towards Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird. Unfortunately you can't see either of these mountains. You have to made do with Meall an t-Slugain and Meall Glasail Mòr instead. Taken 40 minutes after sunrise (9:30am) the light was very strange as the snow clouds gathered.

Breamar And Glen Clunie
Another from the Creag a' Chlerich looking due south, taken before the snow set in for the day.

60 deer.jpg
Large herd of red deer hinds (very poor photo)

From Creag a'Cheirich it was just a case of picking a line that gave least heather & rock. Again pretty easy going. Around the 700m mark it started snowing and that was pretty much it for the rest of the morning. It never got that heavy so visibility was too bad. However with the stiff wind goggles were soon donned and zips secured.

If Carn na Drochaide has anything it has cairns. As well as ones on the main summit and the Creag a'Cheirich & Carn na Criche tops, there was big one about 500m from the summit and then another two along the plateau. Got to the summit after exactly 2 hours and got my little anemometer thingy out. Minus 3-4C with 25-35mph winds. While nowhere near the MWIS predicted gale (I was only 100m below Munro height) the wind chill was in the region of -13C. So I didn't hang about.

The going along the top was a pleasure - there was even a path to follow. Not great views but the mild spindrift was entertaining. After the Carn na Criche top I turned south heading for path marked on the 1:50,000 OS map that takes you to the Linn of Quoich. I was pleasantly surprised to find this path around the 700m mark as the heather on this side of the hill is considerably thicker than the east side. I have since found that the 1:25,000 OS map is a lot more accurate than the 50,000 one. And so onto the wonderful Linn of Quoich and The Punch Bowl. Not the best photographing weather but it won't be long before I'm back. Back to the car by noon making a very pleasant way to start the year.

Carn na Drochaide Cairn
Cairn at the summit of Carn na Drochaide.

Carn na Dronhaide Cairn
One of many cairns on this hill. This one was west of the summit with the Carn na Criche bit of the hill ahead (there was a cairn there too).

Snowy Water Of Quoich
View downstream from the footbridge at the Linn of Quoich.

Snowy Linn Of Quoich

Water Of Quoich
Wooden bridge at the Linn of Quoich. The public car park used to be over this bridge (to the left) but this bridge is now structurally unsound so the public are no longer allowed over this bridge. The slightly bright patch in the sky is the sun.

Flickr set over here.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Carn na Drochaide Curcuit

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Stunning photos :D . Looks like it was worth the effort after all. Some great light and interesting views of the Water of Quoich.

I had an ambitious plan to get the train to Keith and cycle to Corryhabbie Hill on the 2nd, tempted on by the OK(ish) forecast. However laziness took over and my plans gradually dwindled to nothing. The weather was pretty poor in Inverness so I wasn't too fussed, but looks like I may have missed a trick.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:07 pm

Another quality report Alastair. The first photo is superb (others are none too shoddy either! :lol: )
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 am

Some great pics in there as per. I liked Carn na Drochaide, a nice wee hill day.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby monty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:06 am

nice report Alistair. Love the photo of "water of quoich". :D
monty

Postby Fudgie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 am

Great pictures with the one looking south down Glen Clunie being my favourite.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Excellent report and fantastic photos as usual :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby morag1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Words fail me when looking at those photos. From now on will just say ... :clap:
morag1

Postby quoman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Alistair s
Excellent report liked awe the photo's plus the weather looked good most of the day :thumbup:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Redrock » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 pm

A great report Alastair, and some cracking photos! The first one is just amazing! :D You clearly enjoyed the hike! :D I must get one of those anemometer things - I'd like to know what the wind speed and temperature really is when I'm up the hills (and not just - "It's blowin a hoolee!" :lol: )!

(P.S. What's the secret of the quality of your pictures? Great camera? Great Photographer? HD? Web-hosting? - or am I just jealous? :lol: ) 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:21 am

Superb photos as allways Alistair :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Vidiprinter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 am

Walk reports and photos like this make me want to get out of the house and into the hills...where are my boots?
Vidiprinter
Hill Bagger

Munros:81   
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:1   

Postby iest_rob » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:51 am

Fantastic images Alistair. The large herd of deer looks beautiful.
iest_rob
Stravaiging

Munros:9   
Hewitts:35

Postby Alastair S » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks all :oops:

Redrock wrote:(P.S. What's the secret of the quality of your pictures? Great camera? Great Photographer? HD? Web-hosting? - or am I just jealous? :lol: ) 8)

All of the above :lol: apart from HD & web-hosting :D HD only really applies to video. The resolution of even the most basic is digital cameras is way in excess of the resolution of HD video. Web-hosting is irrelevant - Flickr doesn't do anything different from this site or any other web site. My camera is a mid-level DSLR with a better than average lens. The [non] secret is to take decent pictures and learn how to tweak then in post-production (e.g. Photoshop). Shooting in RAW certainly helps for the latter. It all takes time which is why my reports are always several days after the event.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby SMRussell » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Alastair S wrote:My camera is a mid-level DSLR with a better than average lens. The [non] secret is to take decent pictures and learn how to tweak then in post-production (e.g. Photoshop). Shooting in RAW certainly helps for the latter. It all takes time which is why my reports are always several days after the event.

I was going to ask about your camera also. I use either my Sony alpha a200 DSLR (usually with the 18-55 kit lens as it is light and more versatile then our other lenses) and shoot in RAW but I use Adobe Lightroom rather than PS or I'll use my crappy Samsung compact when the weather gets really bad and I don't want to risk the SLR. But I don't upload them at full quality otherwise it takes ages - I just don't have the patience!

But I'm really starting to consider getting a better compact camera as the SLR is a quite a lot of additional weight and a pain to keep out around your neck - although it seems to be difficult to find a compact that is as logical to use as an SLR and also one that doesn't over or under expose
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland