walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Too windy and wet for two up by the A83

Too windy and wet for two up by the A83

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:36 am

Route description: Beinn Luibhean

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean

Date walked: 07/01/2012

Time taken: 3.7 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 850m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill: Beinn Luibhean
Date: Saturday 7 Jan 2012
Distance: 7.5km
Ascent: 850m
Attendees: me

Set off later than usual from Glasgow where the sky was clear and starry – full of optimism that I could get a decent sunrise especially with mainly dry, sunny, and blustery weather forecast for Arrochar. Uneventful journey up – traffic lights at the landslide. Arrived in the “Rest and be thankful” car park – howling wind hammering the car with rain so I stayed put and had a snooze until daylight. No chance of a sunrise then. :shock:

Plan for the day was to walk back down the A83, go up and over Beinn Luibhean from the south to the north then up and over Beinn an Lochain arriving back at the car park. The plan didn’t quite come to fruition in the end. :roll:

Luibhean_500.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Walked down the A83 almost to the start of the trees at a wee layby – view looking back up to Beinn an Lochain.

Then started steeply up the side of Beinn Luibhean until I reached the southerly ridge.

View up to Beinn an t-Seilich

The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain

Over to Ben Donich

Had various stops for waterproofs and extra layers. The wind wasn’t too bad as I was partially sheltered at this stage.

Walked up the ridge with some more dramatic views around due to the ever changing weather.

The Cobbler

Beinn Narnain

More weather

The Cobbler

Further up the wind got a lot stronger. Not much snow but the ice axe came in handy for some parts but even handier for keeping me upright. Can’t remember ever having been in such strong wind – even the extra weight from festive dinners didn’t stop me being blown over several times ! :eh:

Got to the top eventually but was finding it very difficult to stay upright.

No views from the top. Stayed for a while hunkered down behind a rock but the weather just wasn’t going to clear.

Headed off northerly but was soon beginning to think that it may have been better and more sheltered to go back down the ascent route. Kept going though because I was still thinking that Beinn an Lochain was possible.

That thought didn’t stay with me long though. :shock: Further down with the wind still very strong I eventually decided that one was enough and didn’t want to get blown off Beinn an Lochain – the rain and hail also helped with the decision.

There were some sections of snow where I was able to slide a bit.

The weather did clear up a bit further down to let me see more of Beinn an Lochain and Binnein an Fhidleir.

Took a fairly direct route back down to the A83 and then had to walk back up the A83 to get to the car. Met a cyclist who was walking his bike because of the strength of the wind. It was good to get back out after such a long break from the hills but the effects of the festive food were felt more than I’d anticipated..... :silent:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Too windy and wet for two up by the A83

Postby lomondwalkers » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:43 am

Well done taking on the wind up there RH, we drove over that way en route to Inverary and it was wild enough at road level :crazy:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 am

Good to see you out and about again Rockhopper, did you finally find the keys to your shackles? :D Love all the hills around this area and you could allways manage Beinn an Lochain with Fhiedleir next time when the weather is better. Enjoyed the report, cheers. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:01 am

Good report and photos :D
We did the Vorlich and the wind was mad as well, I managed to record gusts of 61mph, we had stronger but like you, I could not stand upright long enough to get a reading on them. Still enjpyed it though :lol:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pigeon » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:52 am

Good to see you out and about again RH,the wind was mighty fierce sure enough,if i'd been on my own over on Vorlich don't think i'd have got to the top so you did well getting your corbett done :thumbup: We need to stop nearly meeting like this :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Glasgow was defo bright, although breezy, and i cursed i wasnt along with my friends as planned doing Binnein an Fhidleir.
Ive seen there photos and now reading this it appears the wind and rain made for poor walking - although that dosnt hinder me. I did manage a wee afternoon wandering the Campsie plateau, in the sunshine :)

I'm sure very soon that you'll be able to burn the indulgence of the festivities away with an epic trip or two.

Well done on getting back out after a lay off.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Enjoyed that, must head down that way soon :) It has been a month of constantly high winds we were in the Monadh Liath and the wind would take you off your feet ,,drier thatn the West though and plenty snow :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:40 pm

well done in getting out in that wind..better keeping Beinn an Lochain for a day where you get views.. up there last weekend and keen to go back to the area in good weather
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 pm

The pics you got were good though, dramatic glimpses of views :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 am

Epic stuff Rockhopper, even on a grotty day you've managed to keep the camera steady and pulled some great 'moody' shots, shame you got blown away but at least you got out there :D Hoping to get my first hike in tomorrow and the thought of xmas excess and 3 weeks of hotel life leaves me a little ....concerned :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby davetherave » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:32 pm

RH

Shame about not completing your plans, Beinn an Lochain is a fine Corbett. When we did Beinn an Lochain we combined it with Ben Donich and The Brack made for a good days walk, well worth thinking about. :)
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 pm

thanks all for the comments -much appreciated - and happy new year ! :D

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good to see you out and about again Rockhopper, did you finally find the keys to your shackles?
various reasons kept me off the hills - not a good final two months of the year so it was great to be back out on the hills :D

pigeon wrote:We need to stop nearly meeting like this :D
looks like we're getting nearer and nearer - maybe 2012 we'll manage it :?

ChrisW wrote: Hoping to get my first hike in tomorrow and the thought of xmas excess and 3 weeks of hotel life leaves me a little ....concerned :lol: :lol:
I'll need to start looking in the "Outside Scotland" section now 8)

davetherave wrote: When we did Beinn an Lochain we combined it with Ben Donich and The Brack made for a good days walk, well worth thinking about. :)
funnily enough yours was one of the reports which got me thinking about joining some of the hills in this area up so thanks for that :D
rockhopper

Postby malky_c » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 am

Bit blustery looking but some reasonable views. Good to see you on the hills again though :D (and don't assume you've avoided the bad weather!)
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Yeah, good to see you back out there again Rockhopper! I was starting to wonder ..... :? An interesting plan - shame the weather put paid to half of it. Nice to see you are keeping the Corbett count ticking over though! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 am

malky_c wrote:Bit blustery looking but some reasonable views. Good to see you on the hills again though :D (and don't assume you've avoided the bad weather!)

Graeme Dewar wrote:Yeah, good to see you back out there again Rockhopper! I was starting to wonder ..... :? An interesting plan - shame the weather put paid to half of it. Nice to see you are keeping the Corbett count ticking over though! :D

Thanks guys - it was good to manage out even for just a short walk - private/personal reasons for the lay off but I'm hoping 2012 improves on the latter part of 2011
rockhopper

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland