walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dubh with a newcomer

Beinn Dubh with a newcomer

Postby webbie88 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 08/01/2012

Time taken: 4.98 hours

Distance: 10.1 km

Ascent: 657m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After seeing my pictures from my walk earlier this week one of my old school friends asked me if I could help get him into hill walks :D so after some diliberation I thought it best to head to one of my favourite wee hills Beinn Dubh on the banks of loch lomond as it is both testing and very rewarding if you can get a view.

So we headed off from Luss at 0930 and after not a long time some lovely views started to come into play

so we walked on at a slower pace than normal so that my friend wouldnt end up shattered and unable to enjoy his time on the hills. After a couple of ours he started to get a wee bit disheartened as the cloud cover and closed in we couldnt see much :( then we started to hit patches of snow...

what of course brightened up any day.

Once we crossed the fence the wind began to pick up and became very gusty but we pushed on regardless in order to make the small cairn at the top

from the cairn we decided to go in a loop rather than head back, as we headed into the loop we decided to stop for some lunch

on a lovely swamp :lol: but it was the only way to really get out the wind.

After lunch we headed towards the ridge in a diagnol rather than up and over to try avoid the snow line and any possible accidents.

Some-one started to feel the cold :lol:

As we hit the ridge there was some more snow to play in and of course pose in

From there it was off down by the farm,

past some lovely waterfalls

and back down to the car park were we checked the gps for our days stats

Today was a really fun and interesting day with a mix of all types of weather and my friend kept going the whole way and cant wait to get back on the hills!
webbie88
Mountaineer

Munros:97   Corbetts:10
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Beinn Dubh with a newcomer

Postby Gavin99 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:41 pm

That's a lovely wee circuit , glad your friend wasn't put off by the miserable weather !
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland