walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi all!

Hi all!

Postby ospreysfan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:40 am

Just stated getting into hill walking. I have found myself becoming mega nervous with heights so it's a great way of pushing myself and getting over it.

I have only been out a few times but love the way everyone seems so friendly up on the hills.
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Munros:86   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:2

Re: Hi all!

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi

Welcome.Pretty new to this myself.I have the same height issues. :o
I was on Ben Vane last Friday and even some of the small scrambly bits are a challenge
for me.We will overcome. :)

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby ospreysfan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi David,

Hoping to go up ben vane and maybe ben vorlich this saturday, fingers crossed will have some good weather!

Do you find it easier with heights the more you do? First time I went up the cobbler i was a nervous wreck!
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:48 pm

ospreysfan wrote:Do you find it easier with heights the more you do? First time I went up the cobbler i was a nervous wreck!

Hi and welcome to the site.
When you say "went up the Cobbler" do you mean right to the top? If so then I think there are a lot more people out there with height issues. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby ospreysfan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:53 pm

No not yet!

First time my whole world started spinning just coming up the steep section going to the east(?) coll. This time I managed to get up without any real worries and went up onto the central peak. I would love to go right up on the peak to the left but I know that is kinda well out of my comfort zone at the moment!
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:58 pm

You and me both.
I was in that area not too long ago and was really excited about going to the Cobbler to see how difficult threading the needle actually was. Unfortunately I didn't actually get there this time but I promised myself I would visit again as soon as I could. I would like to think the more Munro's I do the more I would get used to being up high, and then the Cobbler will be "simples"! :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Postby ospreysfan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 pm

ha ha well Im wondering if I found it easy on the weekend because of the poor viz, that might be my answer... if I cant see the drop then no worries!
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby David.Ferguson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi

I have only done Lomond,Vorlich and Vane so not much experience to draw on.I have a lot ahead of me
so fingers crossed it does indeed become less of an issue.Then again a bit of fear is sometimes not
a bad thing.Healthy respect i would call it. :)

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3

Postby Freewheelin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:55 pm

... my fear of heights ain't gettin' any better
:shock:
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby gillhowatson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:38 am

I was overcome with vertigo watching Nicholas Crane doing Inaccessible Pinnacle on the telly!! I am hoping that experience will bring more confidence with heights. I am fine as long as there is no danger of me falling off anything. Fortunately, there seem to be enough walks with reasonable paths and broadish ridges to keep me going for now. Good to hear it's not just me that has height issues.
Best Wishes
Gillian
gillhowatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:7   

Postby walk aboot » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 am

Hi Ospreyfan and David

Your fear of heights does get better :D . My first Munro, Ben Vane was nerve-wracking (felt dizzy, etc.), but now I only really get scared at sheer drop, too exposed scarey bits.

I found walking with friends helped when I first started hillwalking - chatting is a good distraction, and at times, a helping hand from a mate is all it takes to coax you across or up a bit you're not so keen on.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby ospreysfan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks for that, I'm kinda feeling it better every time too. Hoping to go up either Ben Vane or Vorlich this Saturday, is Ben Vane as craggy as the OS map suggests?!
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby skuk007 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:25 pm

Hi Ospreyfan,

I did Ben Vane a few weeks ago when the sun was around. Did it from the road/path just after the bridge over the river. There is a good path which goes right to the top and if memory serves me right there were about 3 scrambly bits through the crags, nearer the top, where I had to use my hands to pull myself up. I am not a scrambler by any means but I found them relatively straightforward, with no sheer drops!

Good luck, I hope the weather clears up for you!
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Postby ospreysfan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks for the advice!

Really looking forward to this Saturday now. Quite enjoyed the cobbler and Ben Ime in spite of the weather last weekend so it wont put me off saturday. :D
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Yaaaay!! another mountain coward like me! :D I've got slightly better with heights/steepness over the years but still have bad years. I get worse by the end of a long trip to a challenging area - like the 'vertigo' stacks up somehow, and I also get worse if I don't keep in practice and push myself to do challenging stuff once in a while. It's hard for me to get the balance right in fact, but I have definitely improved with experience and am better in familiar areas like the Lake District but worse in areas I don't know, i.e. Munroing... Hope you find things getting easier anyway... :)
mountain coward

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...