walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beinn achaladair amblings, "the sausage"

beinn achaladair amblings, "the sausage"

Postby mgmt! » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Date walked: 07/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

with pretty poor weather forcast, hrh the lmc president ( richard ) propossed a walk into a coire he new that may hold some sort of climbing. richard, david and myself set off from glasgow and met karin in crainlarich, we headed up to achallader and parked at the tower. richard informed us the coire in question was on the north east side of beinn achaldair. we set of east along the path having to leap the burn as the river was a bit high at the ford. we left the path southward just before the ruin at barravourich following the argocat track to the wooden bridge across the railway line. here we made a rising traverse toward the base of achaldairs north east ridge. the going was slow as the ground was saturated and the snow really soft. it was with relief we turned into the coire and the going eased and the veiw of the coire opened up.
P1070001.JPG
the first views of beinn achaldairs north east cliffs

we walked deeper into the coire to choose a route, with little ice and soft snow, richard fowarded a "sausage" shaped ridge beneath the summit of beinn achaldair. we headed up to the base of the ridge keeping to what turf we could see as the soft snow was hard going.
P1070002.JPG
keeping to the turf

we got to within about 600 metres of the ridge were we decided to get on our helmets, crampons, harnessess and ice axes out. the wind was really whipping up and one big gust blew karins helmet and hardshell up into the coire, she managed to retrieve her helmet but her jacket dissapeared 700 metres up into the coire :shock: . once we all had our gear on david and karin headed up into the coire to try retrieve the jacket while me and richard headed to the base of the ridge to set up for the climb. 10 minutes later david an karin arrived at the base with the jacket :D .
the ridge itself didnt look to taxing and we set off without the ropes.
P1070003.JPG
nearing the ridge
P1070004.JPG
richard, david and karin on the ridge

the first 30 metres was easy going, there was a few places were it steepened and you had to get a good axe placement and be careful but there was always an easy option and we didnt need the ropes. the ridge became more defined toward the top and snow more firmer 9 ( neve ) and all too soon we were at the top of the ridge.
P1070005.JPG
karin and david as the ridge gets more defined
we were probably 100 metres away from the 1036 eastern top of achaldair, we sat here and had some food and discussed our descent. hrh richard new of a route down the bealach an aoghlain. we set of down to the bealach and steeply north down a snow gully for about 100 metres. this doesnt look like it richard says, i think we came a bit to far east. we turned and re ascended traversing west towards the next gully. on the last bit of traverse karin took a slide on a steep slope, it was with relief i watched as she managed to get one of her axes into the snow to stop her slide, no mean feat when you are walking with 2 technical axes, well done karin. once in the correct gully we descended into the base of the coire. i mainly practised my ice axe arrest an glassading all the way down.
P1070008.JPG
me in coire at the end, please excuse the facial hair

packed away helmets axes etc and made our way back to the car before a nice cuppa (beer for me) beside the fire at the bridge of orchy hotel. hrh richard thinks it could be a first winter ascent and if it is he will name it "the sausage", so i could go down in history as a member of the 1st ascent of " the sausage" :? :lol:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: beinn achaladair amblings, "the sausage"

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Mounting Sausages now MGMT :shock:

Good detailed report for those crazy enough :lol:

Glad Karin got an axe in to break her fall - sounded dodgy.

Another fab walking/climbing report.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Frightened to read that at first when i seen the title.. amblings the sausage... thought one of you guys may have been flashing!
its good to have a play about in the snow and have fun.. but it can also be dangerous and just shows you how easily someone can slip. always handy to have the ice axe at hand.
well done
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mgmt! » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:38 pm

dooterbang wrote:Mounting Sausages now MGMT :shock:

Good detailed report for those crazy enough :lol:

Glad Karin got an axe in to break her fall - sounded dodgy.

Another fab walking/climbing report.

cheers dooterbang, i new id get a bit of stick with that title, i had a real fright with karin,s slide, she was descending with 2 axes daggering, so she had to let go of an axe then correct the slide !! 40 or 50 feet drop awaited.
mountain thyme wrote:Frightened to read that at first when i seen the title.. amblings the sausage... thought one of you guys may have been flashing!
its good to have a play about in the snow and have fun.. but it can also be dangerous and just shows you how easily someone can slip. always handy to have the ice axe at hand.
well done

too cold for flashing mt, as i said above karin done brill, cant say it enough carry an ice axe and crampons in winter and no how to use them BEFORE you go on the hill
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:09 am

Fantastic report mgmt!

A wee bit too scary for me again :o :o

Glad to hear that the slips were kept to a minimum and none of the sausages turned into black puddings!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:30 am

Great stuff but sounds a bit steep to me....think I prefer approaches which don't need two axes. Here's hoping the wind starts to die down a bit from now on. cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mgmt! » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Fantastic report mgmt!

A wee bit too scary for me again :o :o

Glad to hear that the slips were kept to a minimum and none of the sausages turned into black puddings!!! :lol:

thanks polly, i read about your wee slip on beag, next time you are out get some arrest practise on a safe slope, you cant get enough practise and it is fun, tip dont have crampons on and put on old cheaper gear to save your good stuff, oh i just remembered you wear hagsflops so you can keep that auld junk on :lol:

rockhopper wrote:Great stuff but sounds a bit steep to me....think I prefer approaches which don't need two axes. Here's hoping the wind starts to die down a bit from now on. cheers :D

thanks rockhopper, i only put up these reports because i cant work the lomond mountaineers club website :? . wait till you complete your munros and you might just want to ascend mountains with 2 axes, i cant recomend it highly enough, have a go :)
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Nice one Michael, looks a tough climb. What about HRH Mountain Thyme, could she not make this climb? :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mgmt! » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one Michael, looks a tough climb. What about HRH Mountain Thyme, could she not make this climb? :D

was quite easy johnny, we were looking for something more technical but conditions werent right, mountain thyme isnt interested in climbing :shock: , especially if there is no ticks at the end :D
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 pm

mgmt! wrote:
Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one Michael, looks a tough climb. What about HRH Mountain Thyme, could she not make this climb? :D

was quite easy johnny, we were looking for something more technical but conditions werent right, mountain thyme isnt interested in climbing :shock: , especially if there is no ticks at the end :D

johnny i wasnay asked!! i said i might try climbing when ive finished my munros and mgmt nearly had a hairy canary incase i joined 'HIS' club.. so im on the look out for a climbing club!!
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby yokehead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Great stuff 8) , good to see some snow about! The NE ridge was my way up a couple of years ago, on one of the best days I've had in the mountains and superb weather. Introduced to me by a mate, I'd not seen it mentioned anywhere. A fine route! :D
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:21 am

Great report mgmt, scary with the slide and impressive skills to arrest it....and you do this for fun you say :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mgmt! » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:32 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report mgmt, scary with the slide and impressive skills to arrest it....and you do this for fun you say :shock:

yes chris do this for fun, think they call it a mid life crisis, were guys buy a sports car or harley, i could only afford a pair of ice axes :lol:

thanks yokehead, alternative routes are there and often give a better day than the normal touristy routes.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland