walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A "getting to know you" walk

A "getting to know you" walk

Postby Chrisabelle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Route description: Carlingwark Loch, Castle Douglas

Date walked: 09/01/2012

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 31m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The first walk of many, I hope, with kjrweaver. Our aim? The West Highland Way in September!
Meeting up in the car park my lack of gaiters was remarked upon as the walk was to be quite muddy in parts, I was to find this out a lot closer than I thought. I rarely wear gaiters, make my feet and legs too hot and uncomfortable.
Away from the tarmac path the track was indeed very muddy, up to my ankles at one point. Decided to get my camera out as it was a beautiful day in a lovely setting, seconds later, camera in hand I "decked it", gaiters would not have stopped that part of my trousers from getting all muddy! :lol: :lol:
Took a photo of dog to ensure camera still working, it was.
IMG_1077.JPG

You can't see mud on Charlie but he was FILTHY!
A few more pics before we joined road at far end of loch
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG

Then reaching lochside once more
IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1082.JPG
On then to lunch at dog friendly cafe (can I name it on here?) in Castle Douglas.
All in all a good day in good company, lots more TRs to come as we build our stamina for September.
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A "getting to know you" walk

Postby erin_niamh » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:11 pm

you'll love the WHW, I did it last year after many years of threats! Best thing ive done, I did it over 5 days but I would definitely recommend doing it over 7 days. Hoping to do it again this year myself.
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Chrisabelle wrote:Took a photo of dog to ensure camera still working, it was.
IMG_1077.JPG

You can't see mud on Charlie but he was FILTHY!

Great camoflage, cant see the dog :shock:

Done this circuit as west highland way training if its any help, about same terrain and distance/ascent of a day on WHW

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/glen-loin.shtml
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Chrisabelle » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Thanks, will try that walk when the days are a bit longer 8) . Its a bit of a trek in itself for kjrweaver to get to Glasgow.
If you look closely Charlie is standing next to the gate, tryingto get away from his now filthy owner. :lol:
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kfrweaving » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Yes, very muddy! But really enjoyed walk with Chrisabelle. The sun was out, it was great seeing blue sky. Charlie was fantastic! The walk around part of Carlingwark loch was a good length to get back into walking after the New Year.
Am going to try the longer Threave walk another week. But would love to get up to the Glasgow area and explore walks up there. I was saying to Chrisabelle that despite living in a semi rural area, getting to some of the walks isn't as easy as you might think - especially if you don;t have a car. Fine if you can share a car, but otherwise you are reliant on buses. Cutbacks have been made in areas last year so some wee villages have only about one or two buses a day. I'm sure there will be plenty of other rural areas that this will apply to. Frustrating at times. It just means more planning! But doing that is enjoyable.
From getting out and walking i am slowly getting to know more of Scotland. I am ashamed to say that there still are so many areas i don't know - WHW included. So by the Autumn my geography will be greatly improved!
Thanks Chrisabelle and Charlie! Today was great and look forward to another walk! :D
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby kfrweaving » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Chrisabelle, i think the cafe will be more than happy to be mentioned, i'll pass on that they have been talked about from WalkHighlands and i think they will be very happy! :D
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland