walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wee Jaunt out in the Pentlands

A Wee Jaunt out in the Pentlands

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:43 am

Route description: Scald Law and Carnethy Hill, Flotterstone

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Scald Law

Date walked: 12/01/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 579m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be an opportunity to blow away the cobwebs prior to returning to work, little did I know how much, and after our curtailed walk up Ben Chonzie on New Years Eve, was also another day out with my son, Chris. We hadn't been walking together since our day on Ben Vorlich so I was looking forward to this a great deal.
We would be having a late start due to dropping off my wife at work, somebody has to bring in the moolah. :lol:
We headed for Flotterstone around about 10:30 and arrived at the carpark to find it was brimming to overflowing, so quick rethink and we headed up the road slightly and parked of road at House of Muir farm, where there is a small section of disused carriageway.

Setting off from House of Muir farm.jpg

Weather was looking good with showers forecast later, so we set off down to join the path to Turnhouse hill, smallest of the hills for today, but in my opinion the steepest, it never fails to get the legs going and the heart pumping. The majority of visitors seemed to be doing rounds of the reservoirs or just little walks up the hills.

Turnhouse Hill.JPG

About halfway up Turnhouse.JPG

View back from Turnhouse Hill.jpg

7 Glencorse Reservoir.JPG

Quite quickly the path deteriorated to mudfest status, but that didn't seem to bother the fell runners who came hurtling off Turnhouse as we made our way up.
Pretty soon it was evident the forecast had skipped the bit about wind, bloody hell it was blawin' a hoolie. And the clag had descended, but we kept on and soon enough made the top and just carried onto Carnethy Hill.
I had downloaded the Viewranger app the previous day so this was supposed to be its launch, but somehow I forget/ didn't know how to set it off recording our route. Whatever reason, when I checked afterwards it had only recorded from Carnethy onward including the drive home so all in all we managed 46km that afternoon, impressive eh!! :lol:
Going across the crest of Carnethy the wind really livened things up, stopping in one of the windbreaks for a quick brew, and nearly losing our sandwiches which would have been catastrophic.
We carried on in the bleeding awful wind, it wasn't particularly cold but it was playing havoc, nearly knocking us off our feet and really rattling around our lugs. The paths on the tops were in pretty good condition not too boggy, which was surprising given the amount of rain we have had recently.
We passed a few folk but nobody was in the mood for stopping for a chat, so we pressed on for Scald Law and soon made the trig point, and I embarrassed myself with a feeble attempt at planking....... whats that all about!!!!!!!
Think it might have been the wind or something.... :lol: :lol: Luckily no photographic evidence
We had planned on carrying onto the Kips, but we had a little conflab, and decided it would be better if we just cut of the hill before the Kips and head down to Lovers Loup and the Howe.

8 Through to Green Cleugh.JPG

9 View from the Howe down Loganlea.JPG

When we got out of the wind and down at the sheepfold we took a quick pitstop, and then started on our walk out alongside Loganlea Reservoir ,and onto Glencorse Reservoir. We had been up walking up this track just the day before but to see some of the damage from the high winds was startling, somebodys shed turned into kindling and a good few trees down damaging the drystane dykes along by Glen Cottage.
We made good time back to the car, skirting up the hedge line at the path closest to House of Muir to avoid the mud fest. Changed and back on the road, it had been a right blowy day but a really enjoyable one.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: A Wee Jaunt out in the Pentlands

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:51 am

Good stuff MM, shame about the wind (it can be real hard work into a hoolie) but you were out there and with your lad too, I can't think of anything better :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:59 am

I always enjoy reading you reports, with its wry humour, and loved the photos :thumbup:
Good to see Chris out with you but, where's the photo of you in your finery??? :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby morag1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:55 pm

A great day out for you and your son :thumbup:

MarilynMunro wrote: bloody hell it was blawin' a hoolie

:lol: :lol: Too true :lol: :lol: Hope next time you go the wind will have died down a bit, but i wouldnt be too sure :lol:
morag1

Postby MarilynMunro » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 pm

ChrisW wrote:Good stuff MM, shame about the wind (it can be real hard work into a hoolie) but you were out there and with your lad too, I can't think of anything better :D

Cheers, Chris. Only thing which would better that would be a wee jaunt in your new stomping ground, loving the reports and the pics, if you need any sherpas give us a shout :)

SusieThePensioner wrote:I always enjoy reading you reports, with its wry humour, and loved the photos :thumbup:
Good to see Chris out with you but, where's the photo of you in your finery??? :lol: :lol:

Thanks Missus
Not upto your fine standards and never will be :wink: , scary pics of me are stuck on my iphone and cannae access them out here, lucky you :lol:

morag1 wrote:A great day out for you and your son :thumbup:

MarilynMunro wrote: bloody hell it was blawin' a hoolie

:lol: :lol: Too true :lol: :lol: Hope next time you go the wind will have died down a bit, but i wouldnt be too sure :lol:

Cheers Morag, ma lugs are still ringing, but a grand day out for us amatuers.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:scary pics of me are stuck on my iphone and cannae access them out here, lucky you

I'll see them when you're back in range :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:13 am

Cheers, Chris. Only thing which would better that would be a wee jaunt in your new stomping ground, loving the reports and the pics, if you need any sherpas give us a shout

:lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby clivew » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Well done MM sounds like your weather was the same as mine from the previous weekend in the Pentlands, I managed to get further North to Beinn Mhanach on Saturday, it was cold but no wind to speak of what a change.
Carry on the good work
Clive
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 pm

clivew wrote:Well done MM sounds like your weather was the same as mine from the previous weekend in the Pentlands, I managed to get further North to Beinn Mhanach on Saturday, it was cold but no wind to speak of what a change.
Carry on the good work
Clive

Cheers Clive
Just wish I had got the other pics off my phone, some of the shots of us trying to stand up were something else. I thought my hillwalking was over till the spring, but a few recent TR have highlighted that some smaller hills are well worth a visit. Liked your TR for Beinn Mhanach, I've been looking at BoO area for when I start the Munro's again in the spring, quite like the idea of getting the train up.
Anyway, Thanks
Jim
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:24 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:I've been looking at BoO area for when I start the Munro's again in the spring, quite like the idea of getting the train up.

One of my favourite areas and the train ride up is worth it as well :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:25 am

Great to see you and the pup out again MM :D

Pity about the wind, must have been a nightmare keeping your dress under control :shock: :lol:

Smashing report :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:26 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:
MarilynMunro wrote:I've been looking at BoO area for when I start the Munro's again in the spring, quite like the idea of getting the train up.

One of my favourite areas and the train ride up is worth it as well :lol:

Aye, I've heard its a favourite of trainspotters. :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby MarilynMunro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Great to see you and the pup out again MM :D

Pity about the wind, must have been a nightmare keeping your dress under control :shock: :lol:

Smashing report :D

Aye we seem to be ships that pass in the night, but it was good to get back out with him, and he's home for a wee while now so hopefully.....

Thank God I didn't go commando :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:53 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:Aye, I've heard its a favourite of trainspotters.

Wonder how you know that??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Nice report there maz. I used to work around that area but never made it out on the hills. Looks like I was missing a lot! :(
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland