walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

glenshee four went for 6 nae chance

glenshee four went for 6 nae chance

Postby quoman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 12/01/2012

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 17.9 km

Ascent: 511m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi ALL
Planned this walk last saturday with Alec and Jim wee planned to do the six looked at the route read the reports didn't look that hard the only thing was the walk back up the road to the car only took one :lol:.

Set off at 5.30 for the 2hr.30mins drive according to the AA Route so 8am in the top carpark was there for 7.35
still dark sat in the car to get ready because the wind was hard and cold the MWIS say's 25-35mph at the top of the hills christ it was that at the car set of at 8am to nice clear sky's. of over the bridge followed the path quite boggy most of the way till we started to climb
glenshee (3) - Copy.JPG
Alec and bear on the way up to Carn an Tuirc boggy ti this point made good progress to the top except for jim who was lagging a bit behind us i asked whits up ave nae power in ma legs Mmmm a siad the first hill does that to us all NO ave nae power in them said jim still we pushed on and made the summit in a good 1hr 35mins.
glenshee (4) - Copy.JPG
jim on way up
glenshee (7).JPG
Me alec jim and bear

Could see for miles went to take more photo's DAM battery's flat so the rest of the pic's are from Alec's camera
jim still looked nackered should him where Tolmount Tom Buidhe and Cairn of Claise were do you think you will manage them AYE then after that i don't know.Thats fine we will take stock after cairn of claise fair enough
100_0998 - Copy.JPG
windy on tolmount

100_0991.JPG
me jim and bear on the plateau
up some more snow then the summit[attachment=]
the walk over to tolmount then onto tom buidhe was good hard under foot but the wind was gusting quite hard by now got to tolmount in 1hr 5mins didn't stop headed for tom buidhe jim was felling it by now even the wee pull up to the summit took it out of him had some lunch here 15 mins later we were on our way to cairn of claise
100_1009.JPG
way over to cairn of claise the snow was ecellent for walking on nice and firm
by now jim was really strugling it was his knees that were bothering him.
100_1015 - Copy.JPG
summit cairn of claise

Looked for a route down on the gps found a path /route that would take us back to the car the route i planed took us 1hr 35mins to get back step in some places for jim but we could see the car which spured us on.forgot to say the wind at cairn of claise was horrendous blowing us of our feet we reckon it was close to 70mph.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ps the pics are all over the place a need ma bed cheers :lol:
Attachments
100_1013 - Copy.JPG
nearly there cairn of claise
100_1002 - Copy.JPG
summit of tom buidhe
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: glenshee four went for 6 nae chance

Postby jonny616 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Well done on making the four. I was in Glenshee on Tuesday & was suprised how windy it was compared to the forecast. You'll pick the other two up easy enough
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Wait a minute!!!!! When was this walk done???? It says TODAY but there is also a reference to SATURDAY. Last Saturday???? No matter. All I'm saying is that if it was anytime in the last week, it's the biggest case of "rubbing it in" that I've ever seen on here! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby sloosh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:All I'm saying is that if it was anytime in the last week, it's the biggest case of "rubbing it in" that I've ever seen on here!

:lol: :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:33 am

Great report quoman, I only did 4 up there my first time, had a nice day catching the other 2 some time later, hope Jim has recovered and is soon ready for another lash :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby quoman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:15 am

jonny616 wrote:Well done on making the four. I was in Glenshee on Tuesday & was suprised how windy it was compared to the forecast. You'll pick the other two up easy enough

Aye the wind was strong goining to do the other two a week on saturday
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:17 am

Graeme Dewar wrote:Wait a minute!!!!! When was this walk done???? It says TODAY but there is also a reference to SATURDAY. Last Saturday???? No matter. All I'm saying is that if it was anytime in the last week, it's the biggest case of "rubbing it in" that I've ever seen on here! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Graeme
we spoke about planning the walk on saturday to do the walk on thursday :lol: ave read your report it was an epic one.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 am

ChrisW wrote:Great report quoman, I only did 4 up there my first time, had a nice day catching the other 2 some time later, hope Jim has recovered and is soon ready for another lash :D

Jim's got gammy knee's at the best of times :lol: but he done well on doing the four get back up to do the other 2 next week cheers.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 am

quoman wrote:
Graeme Dewar wrote:Wait a minute!!!!! When was this walk done???? It says TODAY but there is also a reference to SATURDAY. Last Saturday???? No matter. All I'm saying is that if it was anytime in the last week, it's the biggest case of "rubbing it in" that I've ever seen on here! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Graeme
we spoke about planning the walk on saturday to do the walk on thursday :lol: ave read your report it was an epic one.

yesterday you could see the four munro's no bother but i can see how you can get disoriented on the plateau its massive up there.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Good day for it guys 8) I was like yourself when i planned them, wanted to do the 6 ended up only doing 2 and took me 3 outings to get them all done. What you should have done was take a bike and the last one doon cycles back for the car :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby quoman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good day for it guys 8) I was like yourself when i planned them, wanted to do the 6 ended up only doing 2 and took me 3 outings to get them all done. What you should have done was take a bike and the last one doon cycles back for the car :D

johnny it took jim to walk :lol: he was just glad to get back to the car the route we found took us straight back to the car nae road walk :D
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby erin_niamh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:48 pm

sounds like i missed a good day :(

had a good day myself though at dumgoyne and earls seat, save this for another day :D

hoping to get back out over the weekend
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby quoman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

erin&niamh wrote:sounds like i missed a good day :(

had a good day myself though at dumgoyne and earls seat, save this for another day :D

hoping to get back out over the weekend

Hi Neil
The three of us had a good dayout at least you got out walking speak to you soon.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby EmmaTowle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Looking forward to when I can breathe properly so I can get out again.

Well done on the 4 :)
EmmaTowle
Ambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby quoman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 am

EmmaTowle wrote:Looking forward to when I can breathe properly so I can get out again.

Well done on the 4 :)

cheers emma we are a bit disappointed we never done the six :( still had a goog day :D
quoman
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland