walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Graham & Sub2000 circuit from Inveroran

Graham & Sub2000 circuit from Inveroran

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Suidhe, Meall Tairbh

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn a'Chuirn (Argyll)

Date walked: 12/01/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was meant to be climbing Mullach Clach a' Bhlair today with a fellow walkhighlander but he had to call off due to a cold so i decided to do something else as i didn't fancy the long drive to Auchlean. I'd been looking at a wee Graham, Sub 2000 circuit up at Glen Orchy so decided on this instead, this would also give me 1 hour extra in bed :D . The walk started from just past the hotel, initially taking the the West Highland Way path for a few minutes then leaving it to climb the slopes of Ben Inverveigh. I have to confess at this point i had no idea i was climbing Ben Inverveigh as i hadn't bothered to check the map before setting off, the was due to the fact i'd told myself i'd did all the homework on this walk :? I realised my error once on the ridge when i could see the A82, no harm done though as it was a good walk up and wouldn't had that much onto the day. When climbing the slopes i came to a small track then path which i followed all the way to the ridge. The path was that good i was beginning to think i was on a Munro :D . It was now an easy walk along the ridge to the summit and from the sumit i continued down the ridge then crossed over at Lochan Coir Orain to climb Meall Tairb. I then headed over to Beinn a' Chuirn passing several small Lochans and stopping for some lunch before arriving at Beinn a' Chuirn. While i had lunch i was so close the the Corbett Beinn Mhic-mhonaidh and it was so tempting to add it on but i knew i would not have the time and decided to leave it. Once i got to Beinn a' Chuirn the weather changed, with rain and sleet coming in so i made my way over Bealach Eas nan Cabar and up the ridge to Beinn Suide summit, carrying on to the 636 mark. Here it was decision time, would i head down the steep eastern slopes? no as it had been quite slippy all day that was not going to be a good idea. Would i continue and make my way through the crags to the north? Definitley not. This left me with the longer but safest option of heading down Coire Fearna to pick up the path and track to Forest Lodge and a short road walk back to the car. This path was very boggy and i also had a river crossing to negotiate with the only option to walk through, luckily i had my Yeti gaiters on and they kept most of the water out. It was now dark by this time but as i was on the track i didn't require my headtorch, i arrived back at the car at 17.10 almost 8hrs after setting off.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P1020089.JPG
WHW and Ben Invervreigh

P1020090.JPG
Glen Etive Munros

P1020091.JPG
Loch Tulla

P1020093.JPG
Ben Inverveigh ridge

P1020094.JPG
Glen Etive Munros again

P1020095.JPG
A82 Beinn Dorain left

P1020098.JPG
Me at the summit

P1020099.JPG
Ben Cruachan Munros

P1020100.JPG
Stob Ghabhar center

P1020101.JPG
Dothaidh & Dorain

P1020102.JPG
Ben Lui

P1020104.JPG
Carrying on down the ridge

P1020105.JPG
Meall Tairbh

P1020106.JPG
Bridge of Orchy Corbetts

P1020108.JPG
Meall Tairbh

P1020109.JPG
Beinn a' Chuirn

P1020110.JPG
Meall Tairbh summit

P1020111.JPG
Beinn Suidhe

P1020113.JPG
Meall Tairbh, Dothaidh & Dorain from Beinn a' Chuirn

P1020115.JPG
Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh

P1020117.JPG
Beinn Suidhe

P1020118.JPG
Loch Tulla

P1020120.JPG
Glen Etive Munros

P1020122.JPG
Beinn Suidhe summit

P1020125.JPG
Time to get wet feet
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Graham & Sub2000 circuit from Inveroran

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:05 pm

You wee star :thumbup: - I was looking at the map considering this exact same route yesterday, as one of several possible routes for this weekend. I like idea of the circuit taking in the two Grahams and the Marilyn.

Great to get an up-to-date view of snow conditions. Looks like I can forget about an ice axe if staying at Graham height.

Cheers
foggieclimber

Postby dooterbang » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Nice wee walk this - maybe do it one day.

If only you was fitter...could have added that Corbett :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby orion » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:23 pm

That`s am impressive round for this time of year :)

Beinn Suidhe is a great wee viewpoint for the Starav range from this side.I was up there in January 2010 ...

Like you I came down Coire Fearna and back alongside a frozen Loch Dochard...

glas bheinn mhor.jpg
Attachments
loch dochard 1.jpg
orion

Postby gaffr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:12 pm

That's a fine wee circuit for a short winter's day :) You're right you must not be too greedy with trying to get an extra top(s) :) Have used the fine wee camping place at the bridge west of the hotel a couple of times when out on the tops.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby malky_c » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Looks like there are some good viewpoints over the Orchy area from that route. Not to mention a bonus Marilyn that I'd never noticed before :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Quote....The walk started from just past the hotel, initially taking the the West Highland Way path for a few minutes then leaving it to climb the slopes of Ben Inverveigh. I have to confess at this point i had no idea i was climbing Ben Inverveigh as i hadn't bothered to check the map before setting off, the was due to the fact i'd told myself i'd did all the homework on this walk I realised my error once on the ridge when i could see the A82, no harm done though as it was a good walk up and wouldn't had that much onto the day. ....Quote

See what happens when you dont have mountain thyme as your guide!! I see we are seeing more of you at the summits since youve learnt to use the timer on that camera :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 pm

foggieclimber wrote:You wee star :thumbup: - I was looking at the map considering this exact same route yesterday, as one of several possible routes for this weekend. I like idea of the circuit taking in the two Grahams and the Marilyn.

Great to get an up-to-date view of snow conditions. Looks like I can forget about an ice axe if staying at Graham height.

Cheers

Cheers glad to be of assistance, you'll love this round the views are superb.
dooterbang wrote:Nice wee walk this - maybe do it one day.

If only you was fitter...could have added that Corbett :)

If only Kim hadn't kept me in bed i'd have got it in :wink:
orion wrote:That`s am impressive round for this time of year :)

Beinn Suidhe is a great wee viewpoint for the Starav range from this side.I was up there in January 2010 ...

Like you I came down Coire Fearna and back alongside a frozen Loch Dochard...

glas bheinn mhor.jpg

Great photos orion, the Starav ridge reminded me of the South Glen Shiel ridge
gaffr wrote:That's a fine wee circuit for a short winter's day :) You're right you must not be too greedy with trying to get an extra top(s) :) Have used the fine wee camping place at the bridge west of the hotel a couple of times when out on the tops.

I know the exact spot, friends of mine camped there when they did the WHW
malky_c wrote:Looks like there are some good viewpoints over the Orchy area from that route. Not to mention a bonus Marilyn that I'd never noticed before :)

Views are superb Malky and if you're feeling energetic you could get that Corbett in as well :D
mountain thyme wrote:Quote....The walk started from just past the hotel, initially taking the the West Highland Way path for a few minutes then leaving it to climb the slopes of Ben Inverveigh. I have to confess at this point i had no idea i was climbing Ben Inverveigh as i hadn't bothered to check the map before setting off, the was due to the fact i'd told myself i'd did all the homework on this walk I realised my error once on the ridge when i could see the A82, no harm done though as it was a good walk up and wouldn't had that much onto the day. ....Quote

See what happens when you dont have mountain thyme as your guide!! I see we are seeing more of you at the summits since youve learnt to use the timer on that camera :)

Mountain Thyme, No comment :twisted:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 pm

A nice route Johnny despite the early confusion with the weather and views into the bargain :thumbup: and if you had seen as much (or more accurately as little) as I did on Mullach Clach a' Bhlair you'll be very glad you went to Bridge of Orchy instead - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 am

Looks like a great walk, now I know I can get out and about without all the extra ironmongery, cannae wait to get back to dry land. Oh aye, nice photos of a cracking day.
Cheers
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:44 am

That's a fine wander JC with some lovely shots to bring it to life :D , still not a lot of snow about yet.....is it ever going to come :shifty:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Cheers guys, another :thumbup: for the smaller hills i'd say due to the views of the surrounding Munros and Corbetts :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Paula Hubens » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:09 pm

A fair distance in the short winter daylight! I like your pictures of the surrounding hills. It gives a different perspective from what you usually see when pictures are taken from Munros. I'm visiting this area in the summer, so very handy for me. Thank you!
Paula Hubens

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Paula Hubens wrote:A fair distance in the short winter daylight! I like your pictures of the surrounding hills. It gives a different perspective from what you usually see when pictures are taken from Munros. I'm visiting this area in the summer, so very handy for me. Thank you!

Thanks Paula, i hope you get nice weather for it 8)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Aye, that's a bit of an epic round for January :clap: - you did well to get round without having to get the torch out...
They sure have grandstand views of their bigger neighbours by the looks of it, these wee hills. Beinn Suibhe looks a steep wee brute. I think Ben Inverveigh is a "subMarilyn" too (it has between 140 and 150 metres of relative height, so just misses out on counting as a separate Graham - okay, I'll take the anorak off now :lol: ) so I guess you got three-and-a-half ticks!
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland