walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knott Rigg & Ard Crags

Knott Rigg & Ard Crags

Postby Phooooey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ard Crags, Knott Rigg

Date walked: 14/01/2012

Time taken: 2.3

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 418m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Newlands Hause - Knott Rigg - Ard Crags - Knott Rigg - Newlands Hause

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For the first time in 7 weeks, the weather calmed down enough for fell walking to not only be attempted but enjoyed.
The effects of not getting this weekly exercise and the after effects of Christmas and New Year were clear today as myself and John made harder work of these two fells than they really deserved.
No map was required as after following a clear path up from Newlands Hause Car Park onto Knott Rigg, a clear path presented itself across the ridge onto Ard Crags.
The weather was around freezing but we soon warmed up and hats and gloves did the trick. Clear skies made for mostly great photos and a low winter sun created deep shadows across the fell sides.
We climbed the two fells and then returned via the same route back to the car.
We decided to take the Honister Pass back home in the car as the Longlands Pass had been quite icy on the way there.
We climbed out at Derwent Bridge to take a look at Castle Crag but knew we had left it too late in the day to reach the summit before the last of the light had disappeared. The rock path here was particularly icy too so we left that for another day.

Few Piccies taken with my new Christmas Present - Nikon D50. :)

DSC_0127.JPG
Ascent to Knott Rigg
DSC_0126.JPG
Newlands Valley from Knott Rigg ascent
DSC_0133.JPG
Damson reaches her 116th Wainwright summit - Knott Rigg
DSC_0135.JPG
Ard Crags from Knott Rigg
DSC_0153.JPG
Lunch on Ard Crags
360 on Ard Crags.jpg
360 Panorama View from Ard Crags

DSC_0154.JPG
Looking back along ridge from Ard Crags
DSC_0155.JPG
Damson on Ard Crags summit
DSC_0160.JPG
Wandope, Crag Hill & Sail from Ard Crags
DSC_0161.JPG
Heading back to Knott Rigg
DSC_0162.JPG
Heading back to car above Buttermere
DSC_0168.JPG
Icy path at Derwent Bridge
DSC_0171.JPG
Damson posing by the river
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Knott Rigg & Ard Crags

Postby ally63 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Great pics, Phooooey and it looks like you got a fantastic day for your trip. I'm just back from a few days in the Cairngorms and spent today moping around wishing I could get up in the hills :( I'm a recent convert to the hills / mountains and it's becoming something of an addiction. The scenery you captured today is stunning and I know exactly what you mean about shaking off the Christmas fatigue. There are few things better than a hill climb to blow the cobwebs off :)
ally63
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:14   

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks for sharing Phoooey, I have yet to top these two little beauties.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:51 am

Addicting is the right word Ally. Spend some of my weeks just waiting to escape it all up there and hopefully shake off a few pounds in the bargain. So much better and rewarding than going to a gym. Although in 97 fells time I'm going to have to find a slightly different challenge. Maybe Walk Highlands can add a Lake District Tarn bagging section as there a quite a few off the beaten tracks that would create a good challenge.
Off to Fort William area at start of March and planning a few tops in my 10 days up there. Not really close enough from Barrow to go for all the Munros but should be able to knock over a few during my travels.

Luvhiking, you should find these two fairly easy and no doubt if they had been at any other time they might have been included in some type of round incorporating Causey Pike or Sail, etc. Tried them a few weeks back with other friends but the winds got upto nearly 40 mph and threatened to take us off the fell before we got to the top of the first ridge. Our friends son James only needed a good length of string and we could have used him as a kite ... :lol:
Phooooey

Hewitts:111

Postby kaye.cantlay » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Agreed - Saturday was a stunner! First walk in a while where I've been relaxed and LOVED every minute, not battled the elements or felt like I was walking blindly in mist. Great pics.
I did those 2 in the great November weather at the end of a horseshoe from Littletown over Cat Bells round to Robinson - lush!
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby Circles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:19 am

Just did this yesterday...a really beautiful spot that deserves a better rating...an incredible day and yet very few people there...only down side was following a dodgy old car up Honiston pass later...the smell was a hint of what was to come...breaking down right at the gap in the wall just before the top...but in any case, was a nice easy morning before listening to the last of the cricket.
Now that you are completing the wainwrights, perhaps the Donalds are close enought to complete? or Hewitts
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland