walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith

Postby gary » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Route description: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 14/01/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 25.4 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After reading the forecast for the weekend I knew I had to get out somewhere, after consulting Matt_18 we decided on heading north for the Cairngorms and Mullach Clach a'Blair and depending on how we were feeling maybe add Sgor Gaoith on too.
My friend Craig picked me up at 5.25 and then collected Eck and were on our way at 5.40. We made good time up the A9 and were in Kingussie just in time to be stopped at the level crossing for a few minutes, then we took the wrong road, it was signposted Glen Feshie but we were meant to be heading for Auchlean, a quick u-turn and we arrived as Matt and his brother Rich, who had decided to join him for his first munro/s were getting ready. The car park was quite busy and we had a quick cup of tea and set off just as daylight was coming in.
Heading along the road it looked cloudy towards the hills but it was not to cold, just fine for walking in.We turned left at the farm and across a little stream where Eck slipped off a rock and landed in the stream, one soaking boot for him already! :lol: We started to gain height gently as we went through the woods and past a mini-digger. It started to get a bit steeper once as we left the trees behind and the plateau was still hidden in clag. It was quite hard going and we were starting to slow down a bit to wait on Eck, who was finding it hard going. We kept telling him this was going to be the hardest part and once we were on the plateau it was realatively flat.
DSCF0967.JPG
Lookin up towards the plateau

DSCF0970.JPG
Looking back down

I was beginning to get concerened that we were gonna be in clag on top making navigation difficult and certainly not what MWIS had suggested. Then as we approched the plateau thankfully the skies cleared, we could tell it was gonna be great when we did get to the plateau and it kind of gave us a little boost for the last section.

DSCF0972.JPG
Starting to clear now

DSCF0973.JPG
Thats more like it

Once we reached the plateau the the views west were amazing and we stopped for a while to take some photos and enjoy the views.

DSCF0981.JPG

DSCF0982.JPG
Eck reaches the plateau

We had a quick check on maps and gps to confirm position and route and set off towards Mullach Clach a'Bhlair, it was good going underfoot and although we were not on the path we still made good time on the frozen snow, stopping now and again for a photo.
DSCF0987.JPG
The stream must have been frozen over, made us wonder what we were walking on

As we progressed towards Mullach Clach a'Bhlair it started to look a bit hazy over the summit although Sgor Gaoith was still clearly visible.

DSCF0992.JPG
Sgor Gaoith

As we got closer to our first target the clag seemed to roll in and there was a slight breeze making it very cold for the first time today, by the time we reached the summit visibilty was very poor and we could see absolutely nothing from the cairn, we were all very hungry due to our early start and opted to have lunch at the summit although once we stopped we started to really feel the cold and even with extra layers on only stopped long enough to eat then headed down to the plateau again in search of sunshine.

DSCF0994.JPG
Lunch on Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

It was just before half past twelve now so we felt we were making good enough time to head for Sgor Gaoith and the ground was good although what felt like a disaster at the time happened, we could no longer see Sgor Goaith :(
The views from our second summit had been what I looked forward to all week, we kept going though in hope that it would clear by the time we made the 7km journey across the plateau.

DSCF0999.JPG
The general direction of Cairn Toul

We plodded on in the direction of Sgor Gaoith and our luck changed as we passed around the edge of Carn Ban Mor, the outline of Sgor Gaoith became visible and in a matter of minutes the clag had all but disappeared.
Eck was starting to fall behind a fair bit now so I held back and waited for him, allowing the others to head on.

DSCF1004.JPG
Getting to much for some

DSCF1010.JPG
Assessing the summit

The summit looked quite busy so Matt, Rich and Craig waited on us, allowing it to clear a bit and we headed up the final section almost together,

DSCF1012.JPG
Towards Badenoch

DSCF1014.JPG
Getting closer

Once at the summit we took a quite a few photos, staying well away from edge as it was unclear where it was land and what was snow. We had a longish stop here enjoying the views and resting our now quite weary legs.

DSCF1016.JPG

DSCF1017.JPG

DSCF1018.JPG

DSCF1022.JPG
Matt on Sgor Gaoith

DSCF1024.JPG

DSCF1026.JPG

DSCF1033.JPG

From here we headed back towards the car, skirting around the other side of Carn Ban Mor to rejoin the path for what felt like a longish walk back to the car. I think it was just in time to because the freezing clag came in just behind us, we arrived back at the car about half past three I think although I am sure Matt will confirm our times as he was tracking us on his gps but I believe it took us seven and a half hours all in, covering 15.7 miles.
Last edited by gary on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Re: Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

Postby SMRussell » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:05 pm

Sounds like tough going but cracking stuff and some great photos! The snaps from Sgor Gaoith are really nice - such a good looking cragy face!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

Postby matt_18 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Best day so far!!! :D :D :D

013.JPG

025.JPG

029.JPG

046.JPG

051.JPG

068.JPG

mullach.JPG
matt_18
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1

Re: Mullach Clach a'Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith

Postby quoman » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi Gary
Excellent report and some cracking photo's especially when you cleared the clag the one of the loch very nice.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Loved your report Gary, so glad the clag cleared for you and some brilliant photos (and from Matt) :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby monty » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Superb report gary. Excellent photos :D
monty

Postby gary » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone, can't say how much of a relief it was to see the clag go.
gary
Mountain Walker

Postby magicdin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm

I had considered going over to these hills on Saturday
Have a couple of deleted tops next to MCaB to tick off
But I was lazy and went up Ben Lomond instead hoping for inversion
Not to be -wall to wall clag all day :(
Glad you got the clearances

Must get myself out of my pit earlier at the weekends
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Rich_28 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Totally in at the Deep End for me Gary, but a fantastic day all the same! It'll be a while before I top that!
Rich_28
Mountain Walker

Munros:12   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Alastair S » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Nice one Gary (& Matt). The views from Sgor Gaoith are wonderful.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby gary » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:12 pm

magicdin wrote:I had considered going over to these hills on Saturday
Have a couple of deleted tops next to MCaB to tick off
But I was lazy and went up Ben Lomond instead hoping for inversion
Not to be -wall to wall clag all day :(
Glad you got the clearances

Must get myself out of my pit earlier at the weekends

Thats some amount of walking you done, just looked at your hill count there, I think you have earned a few long lies

Rich_28 wrote:Totally in at the Deep End for me Gary, but a fantastic day all the same! It'll be a while before I top that!

You managed fine mate, just have to get out as much as possible to try and top it??
Alastair S wrote:Nice one Gary (& Matt). The views from Sgor Gaoith are wonderful.

Thanks Alastair, the view was amazing and it was not even to cold to savour it for a while which has not happened to us for a while
gary
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland