walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A walk in the Dark... :)

A walk in the Dark... :)

Postby Nedkenny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:12 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 15/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Ascent: 1011m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Being my first serious walk in around 10yrs i wanted to be prepared even more so after my last walk in wales resulted in an extra 5mile walk all from a map reading error and knowing i was taking the G/friend i didn't want to risk the wrath!! :) So after looking at a few posts on WH and the use off Google earth i decided that Ben Lomond or Beinn Ime, Seemed the most tourist off the Munro's in the area and we would decide once in scotland which we would walk...

After and early start and a hearty breakfast we set off early with the hope off being up and down Beinn Ime and back to the hotel all in time for the footy! :) - Setting off around half 6, we found our way to Arrochar and i drove straight past the car park! Great start to my map reading skills!! once finally parked (Bargin £1 for the day) through checking google maps i knew we had a stready hill climb up a well marked track to the dam for around 1hr and all uphill, Crossing the road from the car park we found this quiet easyly and with the head touch's glowing quickly picked our way up the twisting track to the top and the dam! (Once i was asked are we nearly there yet! Being dark i said "Yeah halfway" a slight lie but i was refering to the dam and not beinn Ime itself! :)
100_0932.JPG

A steady climb up the track we made it to the dam and got our first view off the cobbler and Beinn Narnain, just as the sun was starting to rise. Following the well worn path having some clear skys it made the walk nice and plesant! (bonus) - Ticking off the landmarks (Narnain Boulders) i knew we were on the right path and heading in the correct direct! :) - Stopping for a quick cuppa and snack we had made good progress and were well on time! Contiuning along the path and finally crossing the river we caught our first glimps off Beinn Ime and with limited snow we would be in for a steady climb, Coming to the split in the path (steps upto the cobbler going left) we headed off to the right and picked up the path to Ime, I wouldn't quiet call it a path as with the ice under foot we just headed in the direction off the fence and gate along the marshlands! - Knowing we had dropped to the low point before the climb i knew this would be the test now... With a sheet off ice and snow on the east side of ime we headed up the other side zig zaging our way and onto the summit off Beinn Ime arriving to perfect views! :)

100_0939.JPG
100_0940.JPG
100_0941.JPG
100_0942.JPG
100_0943.JPG
100_0944.JPG
100_0945.JPG
100_0946.JPG

With a quick bite to eat and a few pics we met our first walker off the day (i say walker although the bloke was training for the snowdonia marathon and running 4 munroes today - with a quick exchange off he went running back down the mountain!) - Still finding my legs i thought better off this myself and promptly slid down the previously seen snow and ice (the big kid in me couldn't resist!! :p ) - By this time the ice had thawn on the lower grounds and the marsh and bogs claimed the G/fiends boots - My first thought was to get a pic before pulling her out! something to smile about in time... - After making our way back and meeting and greating various people on the way back knowing we'd had a long day and felt proud i'd dragged the mrs to the top off her first munro!! All i had to do was get us back to the car in once piece - Arriving back at the dam and following the previously unseen path back (why is walking down always harder than up??) Its a good job the mrs couldn't see what we'd already walked up - We arrived back with aching feet - a steady drive back to the hotel and smiles all round we enjoyed a pint (or two)

Couple off leasons learnt - Get the mrs a bigger bag so i dont half to carry as much! :) - Walking in the dark although not always adviseable was well worth it as if she can't see where she going it wont harm and i dont think we would off made it to the end!! - Well worth the day out and now just to get planning my next - Althought i may need a new walking partner!!! :)
Nedkenny
Mountain Walker

Re: A walk in the Dark... :)

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm

looks like you had a great day and I hope when the mrs has had a rest she is suitably impressed. :)
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby MarilynMunro » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Love the idea of getting the little lady to walk in the dark, you're a evil genius :lol:

You had some great views, I didn't get too much when I was up there, that great shelter came in handy for me.

Nice photos.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm gonna have to stop reading reports dated the 15th, clearly I should have gone out !!

Good report and great pics !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland