walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

six months to write

six months to write

Postby mr_mrsH » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Date walked: 13/07/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

yes, i've been meaning to write this report for the last six months but there was always other things cropping up but here we go.

On holiday last year in Glencoe with the intention that Ben nevis would be one of the Munro's climbed, and to make it more interesting we'd go via Carn Mor Dearg arrete.

looking at the weather forecast we decided that wednesday would be the best day. so it was up early, breakfast (had arranged with B&B owner to have an early breakfast,although just toast, cereal etc,) a stop at the local shop in Glencoe village for sandwiches etc and away.

arrived at visitor centre at 9 o'clock ish and after a quick visit to the toilets we were of.
DSCF4586.JPG
just setting of

when we got to the halfway lochan and found the left fork in the path to take us around and up the corrie towards the climbers hut and the steep ascent to Carn Mor dearg, it was here that we first met Geoff, he'd forgotten his map and asked if he could follow us (he'd been told at the visitors centre not to leave the main route). more about Geoff later.
DSCF4590.JPG
halfway lochan
DSCF4594.JPG
mrs H on the way round the left fork

arrived at the climbers hut and stopped for a bite to eat, energy required before tackling the steep slope that was to come.
DSCF4604.JPG
mrs H on the ascent Geoff in the background
DSCF4602.JPG
spotted some deer at the bottom
DSCF4605.JPG
view back down

After what seemed like a never ending ascent we finally reached the summit of CMD and this is where we got talking to Geoff, it seems that he was a former South African rally driver and journalist who had decided to walk 25,000 miles the equivalent of the cicumference of the Earth, he'd set of only 2 days before from the Iona and was walking for the Findhorn Foundation,(you can find his blog at their website or just google Geoff Dalgleish) when I last looked he was in antarctica.
DSCF4611.JPG
mr&mrsH onthe summit of CMD
DSCF4612.JPG
with Geoff

Now for what looked like a hair raising walk along the arrete, which wasn't nearly as bad as it looked.
DSCF4615.JPG
mrsH at the start of the arrete
DSCN0364.JPG
mrH nearing the end of the arette

then up the boulder field to the summit, which i must say was a bit of a let down, very drab but also very busy.
DSCF4619.JPG
summit of Ben Nevis

Note little girl in bottom right hand corner, later on she and her dad overtook us on the way down, and talking of the way down compared to the way we went up it was plain and ordinary, the only good thing about it was the Ben Nevis inn at the bottom where i had one of the best pints ever.

altogether a cracking day out on the hills
Last edited by mr_mrsH on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   

Re: six months to write

Postby Redrock » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that finds it hard to get the reports done quickly! :D It's good to be reminded what summer is like! The pictures of the arête are great! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:30 am

It was worth the wait for the pictures alone, :lol: :lol:
The CMD arete is one of the sights that really got me interested in hillwalking, I would love to do it, so many reports and photos have conjured up great expectations but now started doing a bit, and seen what a "wee bit of exposure" looks like I'm pretty sure I would brick it trying to go across the arete .
Cheers and well done :D
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:35 pm

well worth the wait, would love to do this in the summer
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby mr_mrsH » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:59 pm

[
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Postby mr_mrsH » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:It was worth the wait for the pictures alone, :lol: :lol:
The CMD arete is one of the sights that really got me interested in hillwalking, I would love to do it, so many reports and photos have conjured up great expectations but now started doing a bit, and seen what a "wee bit of exposure" looks like I'm pretty sure I would brick it trying to go across the arete .
Cheers and well done :D

going along arrete not nearly as bad as it looks, and there is a path lower down on the left.
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:23 pm

As said a reminder of the summer as many of us wish for more snow !!

Great pics of the ridge really captured it well.

Done it a 3 times now and its not as bad as it looks, quite wide enough, I found the final push up the ben worse, would imagine its an exposed walk/climb up in full on winter conditions.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland