walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Glas but no quite Sgiath Chuil

Meall Glas but no quite Sgiath Chuil

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas

Date walked: 14/01/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A friend suggested a wee visit to Braigh nan Albann on Saturday to attempt two hills which get bad press Meall Glas agus Sgiath Chuil..... having not been this far South and with a grand forecast i was at the start for 8 am and off for 8.15 am plenty time to nip round these two before dark :)

Ach uill ....... no so simple :) for the minute we arrived there was a lot of ceó hanging about and no sign of the 80% MWIS forecast ! . We set off up the path with the intention of Meall Glas first as it was the farthest away and the weather should every sign of not improving :o

DSCF3928.JPG
Seallaidh gu an Gleann

It is pretty grim and undulating ground and as we headed into the monadh the ceó well it got worse ! to add to the general mix there was a hellish lot of wee tracks heading here and there so we plodded on in the general direction of Meall Glas which we could see but not the mullach for the ceó ....

DSCF3930.JPG
Meall Glas

My caráid (friend) was struggling on the peat hag and as we got closer the Meall Glas started to disappear from view with a lot of ceó moving in :(

DSCF3934.JPG
Meall Glas ann an Ceó

I managed to get a fixed baring from a wee dam to the summit so we duly trooped off up the slope it was good to get off the peat but the pace was still to slow for me and i began to wonder wether we would make the round oh and the visibility was well poor :)

DSCF3935.JPG
Iain ann an sneachd

DSCF3937.JPG
Iain agus an Cú

It was easy going now with a mix of rock and snow shoots but the visibility was if anything getting worse ..tha an t side mossach :(

DSCF3939.JPG
Caite bheil an seallaidh !

DSCF3940.JPG
Iain is an Cú a dol suas

Anyway we reached the mullach in good shape and the bearing was near bang on but we did nt hang around long as time was getting on it was 12.15pm and we had a long way to go yet

DSCF3941.JPG
Cárn Meall Glas

We set off along the ridge with a bearing North over the summit to Sgiath Chuil and the bealach .... then i set along following the path about 10 mins later a wee break in the clouds revealed a view into a Glen with a block of trees to be seen down in the distance !! ....seo fuireach a mionnaid / there is no trees beneath Sgiath Chuil !!

I had prompted to follow the path after taking a bearing and walked off in the wrong direction following a path North :D ach only cost us 20 minutes and we were soon crossing down East and over Beinn a Cheathaich .

It is a long haul right enough and the weather was getting worse we could see nothing and by the time we had exited down the steep side of Beinn Cheathaich it was 2.15pm

DSCF3944.JPG
Geal a mach

So into the bealach and at 605m with no even the sides of the Sgiath Chuil to be seen we decided to bail out and head down .It was the thing to do, my caraid was tired and i could nt be bothered fumbling about in the ceó , seeing nothing for my trouble..... neither did i fancy head torching over the peat hags to the car :) ...so we ambled out after 8 hours without ever seeing the corner wing :D

I ll be back but... seo chan eil cabhag orm / i m in no rush ,brìgh gach cluiche gu dheireadh 8)

DSCF3943.JPG
An Cú
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Meall Glas but no quite Sgiath Chuil

Postby Steve B » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 am

Did these 2 on Sunday but from Glen Lochay. I would recommend that as you have a bit less of the boggy stuff from the reports of the south side. Glen Lochay is really nice too.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby quoman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:25 pm

like the photo of the dog

I was out wi some of the WH gang 2 weeks ago on these hills dut only managed the one Saigth Chuil same as you the clag was bad.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Shame you didn't have the good weather forecast, still, there's always another time :D
You managed some interesting photos though :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Steve B wrote:Did these 2 on Sunday but from Glen Lochay. I would recommend that as you have a bit less of the boggy stuff from the reports of the south side. Glen Lochay is really nice too.

Ach we thought of that but coming from the NW tis easier from Gleann Dochart ..... maybe in the Summer :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:40 pm

quoman wrote:like the photo of the dog

I was out wi some of the WH gang 2 weeks ago on these hills dut only managed the one Saigth Chuil same as you the clag was bad.

Ach no the best of hills these two beauties haha :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby PeteR » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 pm

I think the dog wins it for me on this report :lol: What a look :lol: :lol:

Weather got the better of me on these two too when I was there just before Christmas from this direction. A tough couple of hils though and like has been said, I'll be back on the Glen Lochay side next time me thinks.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:39 pm

PeteR wrote:I think the dog wins it for me on this report :lol: What a look :lol: :lol:

Weather got the better of me on these two too when I was there just before Christmas from this direction. A tough couple of hils though and like has been said, I'll be back on the Glen Lochay side next time me thinks.

The dog fair enjoyed these every shape in the mist was worth barking and snarling at :lol: :lol:

Aye Pete they is hard going these hills think for Sgiath Chuil i might cycle in over the track from Auch a Linne ,then again maybe Gleann Lochaidh but i ll no be rushing back for a while :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland