walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

one man and his hat

one man and his hat

Postby highlander218 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 14/01/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

after a double top day friday in glenshee and a very cosy night in the alpine bunkhouse in braemar [ kate @ rucksacks - proper outdoor lassie ] i decided to do derry cairngorm from the linn of dee - a nice easy one hour walk in to derry lodge [ who needs a bike eh ? ] with another foggy start with the sun trying to force its way through - here you are within one of the finest stands of scots pines in the highlands i always love this spot by the bridge, now went straight over river found track heading up through woods and up through the fog inversion into blue sky
Image0330.jpg

stopped to take in view and i put my hat down on a slab of granite, sat down and then got up and carried on without it, only realised when i was past 1000 mtr point so thought oh well thats life, so pulled out my spare. anyways i do hope it finds a good home if someone finds it weve done many a mountain together - naer mind [ browm, white & orange by the way ! ]
Image0342.jpg

Image0338.jpg

great veiws opening up beinn a ghlo in distance
Image0335.jpg

Image0343.jpg

upto summit area very tricky moving on this rocky ground quite diff when icy, but arrived on summit with fine veiws all round,
Image0344.jpg

then headed north to make a round over creagan a choire etchachan 1108 mtrs and descent down corrie sputan dearg under crags of ben macduibh with some great scenery all around

Image0356.jpg

down in corrie stopped for lunch with a veiw
Image0358.jpg

followed luibeg burn all the way down on lovely hard snow making easy work down into glen luibeg to meet path back to derry lodge
Image0360.jpg
highlander218
Stravaiging

Munros:240   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:124   

Re: one man and his hat

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 pm

I enjoyed that ..craicing pics and shame bout the ad :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: one man and his hat

Postby danielsutherland » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Nice one, some great pictures, You certainly had a great day for it. I've never seen pictures of these hills for some reason, i'll have to get my butt down their. :D
danielsutherland

Munros:129   Corbetts:42
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland