walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn alligin Traverse

Beinn alligin Traverse

Postby danielsutherland » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 14/10/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having wanted to climb Beinn Alligin for sometime now the opportunity finally came up. Raymond a trusty work colleage and walking partner was enlisted somewhat reluctantly....we were on nightshift that night.:evil: An early start and with the weather in the Moray area being very foggy we were hoping for a cloud inversion but had to settle for bright blue skies from Achnasheen onwards.
Today we were climbing the horns last in the standard mannor this walk is completed. We set on the fantastic stalkers path in beautiful sunshine and warm weather we were soon down to t-shirts......not bad for mid november. :D

1.JPG
Views opening up towards Bein Eighe

2.JPG
Loch Torridon

3.JPG

A nice sharp ascent up into Coire an Laogh we were soon to reach Tom na Gruagaich with great 360 views. Visible was the western isle's, The cuillin, Torridon and The Fisherfield forrest for starters plus many more. Not forgetting the horns themselves which looked fantastic.

4.JPG
Summit Views

A lovely walk along the ridge then continued around towards the second Munro of Sgurr Mor.

5.JPG

Great views of the Horns, they looked very dramatic and intimidating, we barley stopped as our excitment was starting to build, well mine was, I think Raymond was left thinking we should turn around :?

6.JPG
Sgurr Mor Summit

We got to the start of the horns , smiles all around, they were no where near as difficult as there reputation susgests.

7.JPG
Having fun on the horns

With the horns dispatched a very steep descent was started back down to the glen floor. We even saw a Golden Eagle soaring before settling on some steep cliffs.
With the sun starting to set, the hills were turned a fantastic glowing orange colour as we set off on the walk back down the glen and to the car.

10.JPG

11.JPG

A fantastic day with great weather. A hill i'll certainly return too.
Last edited by danielsutherland on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danielsutherland

Munros:129   Corbetts:42
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   

Re: Beinn alligin Traverse

Postby dooterbang » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:35 am

Stunning photos - what a day to be out.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 am

Nice report Dan, great photos. Sounds like you had fun on the horns.
Seems an eternity since I was up in Torridon last summer.
Did you do this in mid-November, or September as the "Date Walked" suggests?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby danielsutherland » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Oops, yeah I think it was the 14th November, I'll change it. Yeah was a great day weatherwise. I've been lucky enough to Bein eighe and Liathach in equally stunning weather too!! :D
danielsutherland

Munros:129   Corbetts:42
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   

Postby clivegrif » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Brings back many happy memories, nice one! :D
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby KeithS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:57 pm

A truly beautiful mountain, possibly my favourite of the Torridon mountains, and that's saying something because they are all special.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland