walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 from fersit in the Chno

2 from fersit in the Chno

Postby Alan S » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:21 am

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 15/01/2012

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 928m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Me and JB

This was a last minute walk that was arranged when JB phoned me on friday morning to say he needed to get out on the hills as he has just started his new business and needed a break so quickly phoned gammy leg and arranged these 2 for today.
James picked me up at 05:45 just after i received a text from gammy to say he had a rough night and wouldn't make it today :( .
The forecast looked promising today and it didnt disappoint as we arrived at the car park just in time for the sun coming up and gave us nice blue skies
509.JPG
looking good

We got chatting to some other walkers at the car park who had asked where we were going so we said Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain and they said so are we so that was great and we started to follow them from the car park......For about 50 yards when we realised they were heading for Stob Coire Easain :lol: good start :oops:
We quickly about turned and picked up the track by the cottages and sheep pens and out on to the pathless hillside, Which would normally be very boggy but not today as the ground was frozen solid.
This was a bit of a slog especially for James as he hadn't been out since early November and the Christmas party food was taking its toll :lol:
The ascent was still pretty quick and was made more enjoyable thanks to the clear skies and stunning scenery all around us
510.JPG

It didnt take long to get to the snow line where the walking improved and this gave me and james the chance to get the ice axe's out and have another practice at climbing up steep slopes etc with the axe.
After this we made our way up until about 20 mins to the 1st summit where now the compacted snow and ice was making hard walking so Im glad to say that after my crampons being a shiny ornament for the last year and a half and seeing no more action than the stairs in the house it was time to get them on :lol:
511.JPG

Having the crampons on was a bit strange at first but it didn't take long to get used to them and find them very useful on steeper slopes and it wasnt long before we made our 1st summit of the day stob coire sgroidain.
The views here were just as good as planned with stunning views all around although there was some low cloud moving in from the west which would catch up with us later 8)
512.JPG
513.JPG
gusty buff :)
514.JPG
515.JPG
517.JPG
518.JPG

After a long stay at the summit we headed down and had some lunch out the wind which wasn't that strong just cold.
We kept the crampons on as there was still a lot of hard packed snow and it wasnt long before we were approaching the 2nd summit of the day, still watching the cloud rolling in very slowy behind us and expecting to be in the clag when we got there but instead we were rewarded with a cloud inversion that made our day 8)
519.JPG
520.JPG
521.JPG
523.JPG
524.JPG
525.JPG
526.JPG
527.JPG
528.JPG

Although this wasnt the inversion we had hoped for it was still good to see the cloud rolling in and be above it for a change :lol:
We spent a fair bit of time again at the summit soaking up the views before making the quick drop off back down to meet the path that leads back to fersit, catching some more good views behind us and across to creag meagaidh
530.JPG
531.JPG

This was a very enjoyable day and even though we were about an hour and a half slower than planned we didn't care as it was good to sit and appreciate such stunning scenery 8)
This was also a good 1st munro outing after the festive period where a few pounds have been gained by both of us so instead of stopping at our usual moulin inn for a pint and a steak and chips we decided against it as we had probably burnt off a few calories today...... so we went to McDonalds in Perth :lol:

Thanks for reading
Alan
Last edited by Alan S on Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: 2 from fersit in the Chno

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:39 am

Nice one - you seem to have nicely avoided the clag in the west 8) . I like the views down Loch Treig.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alan S » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:55 am

Cheers Malky :D Yeh loch treig was pretty special,Thats why we spent so much time at the top :)

Thanks
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:54 am

A fantastic report Alan :D

Great to see the elusive JB out on the hills, hope you were gentle with him and slowed your pace a wee bit!

Must have been fantastic to get such fabbie views of the loch, well worth the slog 8)

Well done to both of you but I bet Gammy isn't too happy :lol:

(Are these the two we were thinking of doing a while back?)

P X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby JB likes a beer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 am

Photos turned out ok mate, enjoyed the day out and the views were great :D , nice gusty buff photo :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 pm

[quote="pollyh33"]

(Are these the two we were thinking of doing a while back?)

Dinnae worry polly,still got these two to climb,we will get them soon & the two on the west of Loch Treig also.

Great report Alan,gutted I missed the day,looks like you will reach 100 before me now(wot a bummer0
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Alan s
Excellent report really nice photo's. Aye the crampons do take a bit of time to get used to used mine for the first time up glen doll they work a treat.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Alan S » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Must have been fantastic to get such fabbie views of the loch, well worth the slog

Definetly worth it polly,Im on a wee roll with the weather lately :lol:
pollyh33 wrote:Well done to both of you but I bet Gammy isn't too happy

Sometimes these things cant be helped and he was fine ..... until we started sending loads of pics to his mobile :lol:
JB likes a beer wrote:Photos turned out ok mate, enjoyed the day out and the views were great

Cheers mate, Had a great day, Just try and no leave it for another 3 months :D
gammy leg walker wrote:Great report Alan,gutted I missed the day,looks like you will reach 100 before me now(wot a bummer0

Pity you missed out it was a good day :D
Wouldnt worry about me getting to 100 you will probably still do it first
quoman wrote:Excellent report really nice photo's. Aye the crampons do take a bit of time to get used to used mine for the first time up glen doll they work a treat.

Thanks quoman :D yeh was good getting the crampons on and cant wait to do it again :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Nice one Alan. Hope that isn't Gammy's buff blowing in the wind :lol: :lol: :lol:

Might do these two Sunday
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Alan S » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:24 pm

jonny616 wrote:Nice one Alan. Hope that isn't Gammy's buff blowing in the wind :lol: :lol: :lol:

Might do these two Sunday

:lol: :lol: :shock: Definetly not, I would have my ears fall off before I put that thing on my head :lol:

Hope you have a good day if you make it :D

Cheers
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:55 pm

well done alan looks like you had a fab day
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby Stretch » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Shame I wasn't there to film these two uncoordinated penguins. :lol: Still laughing about the Mt Keen hilarity. Glad you two were able to start the year off with a nice walk.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby Alan S » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:57 pm

rocket-ron wrote:well done alan looks like you had a fab day

Cheers Ron we had a great day :D
I see you have been busy recently aswell 8)

Stretch wrote:Shame I wasn't there to film these two uncoordinated penguins. Still laughing about the Mt Keen hilarity. Glad you two were able to start the year off

No sliding from JB this time mate he was to scared to mark his new paramo :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm

well done. nice pics. you would both been glad gammy didnt appear as he would have brought the clag :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Alan S » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:15 pm

mountain thyme wrote:well done. nice pics. you would both been glad gammy didnt appear as he would have brought the clag :)

Thanks MT :D

I think Gammy has been fortunate with the clag lately, personally I blame Stretch for all his bad luck last year :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland