walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen tanar

Glen tanar

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Route description: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 17/01/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

SAM_0647 (1024x768).jpg
Well well up early and off to wander up mount keen, arrived at glen tanar about 9 ish.
Got kitted up and headed off, quite frosty but pleased to see the snaw had melted and the hills around glen tanar were clear :) . After heading out of the pines and onwards a reached the bridge just short of the path leading up mount keen only to see thick reek coming from the heather. Much to my disgust the gamekeepers were burning heather right at the fit oh the path to continue I would have needed a BA set and ma clothes would have been reeking a smoke :cry: .
But most annoying was the gamey passed me twice in his landrover and never bothered saying nowt :shifty: .
So just had to head back to the pinewoods walk and branched off up the knockie view point and up another path to the smaller hills overlooking the estate which as it turned out was probably just as good as going up mount keen.

Weather was braw as weel waterproof jacket off as weel as gloves and beenie for a while.the ski centers must be deing there nuts in at the lack a snaw.
Attachments
SAM_0648 (1024x768).jpg
SAM_0653 (1024x768).jpg
SAM_0659 (1024x768).jpg
Water of tanar.
SAM_0661 (1024x768).jpg
SAM_0666 (1024x768).jpg
SAM_0667 (1024x768).jpg
Summit oh fit i think is black craig hill at 640m. if any one kens better please correct me on this.
and more heather burning in the distance.
SAM_0669 (1024x768).jpg
SAM_0672 (1024x768).jpg
SAM_0674 (1024x768).jpg
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Re: Glen tanar

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Shame about the heather burning. You've some nice colours in your photos and particularly like the frosty one! :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:16 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Shame about the heather burning. You've some nice colours in your photos and particularly like the frosty one! :D

thanks susie
Glen tanar is a fantastic estate with a few good trails to wander round so I was not too disappointed. I guess the heather burning is essential for the Grouse.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby morag1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 pm

This is a nice report, really like the photo of the path by the pine trees :thumbup:

Benjaminnevis wrote:Glen tanar is a fantastic estate with a few good trails to wander round so I was not too disappointed

I agree with you there, I discovered the estate last year when visiting family in the north east. I have been back twice and have followed the marked trails, but not to Mount Keen as the ground was very boggy and we gave up after a while. I plan to spend more time walking the estate this coming spring. :D
morag1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland