walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wee Quickie on Beinn na Dothaidh

A Wee Quickie on Beinn na Dothaidh

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Route description: Beinn Dòrain & Beinn an Dòthaidh, Bridge of Orchy

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh, Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 21/01/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 1004m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Uill bha an t side aimsir dona an diugh :shock: Gaoith laidir , Uisge is Sneachda . A bad forecast for today had me thinking twice whether it was worth going anywhere ..... course it was :lol: and having missed Beinn Na Dothaidh when on Dorain i decided to try and add her to my tally.

We caught the 7.30 am ferry which was slapping around good time with the hail and rain battering the roof, i did begin to wonder whether this was a good idea and was expecting a fail. A wee stop at the Gleann Comhann filling station had the fella serving asking me if i was mad going on the hill with the wind being as bad ,i told him i lived in Ardnamurchan and if he thought this was windy then he had best come over to the real Wild West :lol:

We reached Drochaid Urchaidh at 8am and parked up at the railway station finding ourselves blowing onto the hill for 8.15am.

The ground was fluich/wet and it was a bit grim looking all round however the tops were clear between mossach showers

IMG-20120121-00330 (2).jpg
An Rathad Suas

It is a quick hoof up the track and me and an Cú made the Bealach with snow and ice patches in quick time helped by the wind behind us

Bealach na Dothaidh.JPG
Bealach na Dothaidh

In between heavy showers i could actually see the summit but the wind dia na grassain it was fierce and near lifting me off my feet at times :shock: .... nice wee views to Loch Liomhann

Loch Liomhan.JPG
Loch Liomhan

I decided on a direct route to the East summit to try and keep out the wind a wee bit, it did help although at times it was a whiteout with spind thrift fair blasting the face. I had no need for crampons but there were stretches of ice /snow where the all fours approach was required more to keep the wind from blowing me down the icy slopes.

We soon made the height and as luck would strike the Gaidheal we had some seallaidh if we could hack the mighty wind :) :)

Beinn na Dothaidh Ear Cárn.JPG
Beinn na Dothaidh Ear Cárn

Bheinn Dorain.JPG
Bheinn Dorain

Beinn na Dothaid Ear anns an sneachd.JPG
Beinn na Dothaid Ear anns an sneachd

We made the East cárn there was a lot of icy rocks around but no a lot of snow but due care was needed a wee bit tricky underfoot .There is some nice views to be had from the hill and considering the weather we summitted just at the right time :D ....so a quick coiseachd along the druim to take in all the seallaidh

Bárr Mhais a sneachda.JPG
Bárr Mhais a sneachda

Beinn Achalandair.JPG
Beinn Achalandair

We had a 180 viewpoint if you could stay upright long enough ,i even saw Meall Glas is Sgiath Chuil a damn sight more than i did when on these last week !

DSCF4167.JPG
Meall Glas is Sgiath Chuil

Crann a'soillse , Mhanach.JPG
Crann a'soillse , Mhanach

Cárn a Mhullach Beinn na Dothaidh.JPG
Cárn a Mhullach Beinn na Dothaidh

We did not stay to long on the mullach for fear of being blown down and when the frasach came in jeez it was like being stung by hot needles ,lucky my face is kinda leather like :) . On the way down we hit intermittent white out it had a dramatic effect as it cleared through.

DSCF4128.JPG
Mossach

DSCF4131.JPG
Geal a mach

As we made our way down i lost a mitt to the wind ,i did chase but it disappeared up into the air and away like something out the wizard of oz .... my third in two weeks so if you find her let me know :)

We arrived back at the car for 12.30 although the wind coming down the Bealach nan Dothaidh was the strongest i ve felt in a long time tis like a funnel there :o

Tha mi toilichte bha mi air a bheinn an diugh ..... i glad i made the effort for this nice wee quickie on Beinn Na Dothaidh although its been a long time since she was scorched :lol:

DSCF4121.JPG
An Cú Dubh

Cheerie an drasda :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
Cárn a Mhullach Beinn na Dothaidh.JPG
Cárn a Mhullach Beinn na Dothaidh
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: A Wee Quickie on Beinn na Dothaidh

Postby Craiging619 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Great pictures, looks like it was quite a wild day up there.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:23 pm

A great effort in that wind :D And some great pictures to boot too :D A nice pair of hills these two. I kkep thinking I should return to them everytime I drive by on the way further north.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:35 pm

PeteR wrote:A great effort in that wind :D And some great pictures to boot too :D A nice pair of hills these two. I kkep thinking I should return to them everytime I drive by on the way further north.

Aye there no bad at all , i ve had pretty poor weather on all of them mind , so intend Beinn Dorain on a good clear Winters day sometime soon probably next Winter now :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby quoman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Good report there nice photos

Had the same kind of weather up at glenshee the day the wind was brutal right enough.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:15 pm

The ferryman was right, you probably are quite mad going out in that wind, but I'm glad you did as the pictures are great. nice bit of cornice there at the top. sturdy wee fella your dug too, I suppose having four feet is better than two in the wind
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby luckyguy68 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Somethin special bout monochrome photos. Good day out by the looks of things :thumbup:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:39 am

Craiging619 wrote:Great pictures, looks like it was quite a wild day up there.

Wild is the word tis lucky im hefty take a bit to lift me off my cás :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland