walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello

Hello

Postby velvet-rose » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:30 pm

I am Velvet-Rose, I am a fairly new walker, and decided to join your group after getting information on various walks.
I am 55 and live with my partner Albi and our dog Toby. We enjoy our walks, and try to go 1 day each week visiting various places. no matter the distance. or weather. So any intersting walks anyone can tell us about will be lovely. I can not climb :( too high but a steady walk up hill is fine. The site is really helpful to us.
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Re: Hello

Postby Alan S » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:35 pm

hi and welcome to the site.
theres as much low level walks on here as there is high,ive used loads of them.
i see your ambition is to walk the cairngorms,i was up at the cairnwell yesterday and there was a wee chair lift that would take you to the top,would that count :lol:

regards alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Welcome to the site :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby gillhowatson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:46 am

VelvetRose,
The Lomonds in Fife are always a nice walk with great views on a good day. I live right beneath west Lomond and am amazed that I can usually make them out whilst climbing in and around Perthshire. They are my comfort blanket!! Enjoy your walks and welcome to the site.
Best Wishes
Gillian
gillhowatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby velvet-rose » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:10 pm

alan sherry wrote:hi and welcome to the site.
theres as much low level walks on here as there is high,ive used loads of them.
i see your ambition is to walk the cairngorms,i was up at the cairnwell yesterday and there was a wee chair lift that would take you to the top,would that count :lol:

regards alan

Thanks for the information, yes it would count :D :D I do walk, some slopes, but cant do the big ones :( We love walking, I think so much I have missed. We are off to the Falls of Leny tomorrow & Bocastle. will post my day out when we get back :D We go on a walk every weekend, and enjoy every minute, I dont let my disablity stop me I have emphysema...so It does me good lol..
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Postby velvet-rose » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:14 pm

cjwaugh wrote:Welcome to the site :D

It is really helpful, aswell as the fact of making friends with same interests.... so which I had done some of the climbing in my youth ,,, so invigarating. Still we can enjoy the walks and views are so breath taking ....
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi velvet-rose and welcome

If it was a book you were looking for then this is my self-interested bit! As well as this website we've written a few walks books at the level you seem to be walking at (you may find the routes on here too but the descriptions in the books have a bit more detail on history etc.). There's 'Skye: 40 Coast and Country walks', 'Perthshire: 40 Town and Country walks', and 'Aviemore and Cairngorms: 40 Shorter walks' out at the moment and several more areas will be out for next season. The books are published by Pocket Mountains and they also have a Fife one (and Glasgow & Edinburgh areas as well) in the same range. Check out the books section.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby velvet-rose » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:19 pm

gillhowatson wrote:VelvetRose,
The Lomonds in Fife are always a nice walk with great views on a good day. I live right beneath west Lomond and am amazed that I can usually make them out whilst climbing in and around Perthshire. They are my comfort blanket!! Enjoy your walks and welcome to the site.
Best Wishes
Gillian

We have done some walks in perthshire... we have been to one in lomond ... so beautiful there. We will be doing a tour of walks next summer via a motor home traveller. We have do walks every weekend.. so lovely and breathtaking views. was beautiful @ The Falls of Bruar last week, great weather and clear views. This week we are going to do the Bocastle walk, looking forward to that. Will post photos and comment on our day out on monday
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Postby velvet-rose » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:25 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Hi velvet-rose and welcome

If it was a book you were looking for then this is my self-interested bit! As well as this website we've written a few walks books at the level you seem to be walking at (you may find the routes on here too but the descriptions in the books have a bit more detail on history etc.) There's 'Skye: 40 Coast and Country walks', 'Perthshire: 40 Town and Country walks', and 'Aviemore and Cairngorms: 40 Shorter walks' out at the moment and several more areas out for next year. The books are published by Pocket Mountains and they also have a Fife one (and Glasgow & Edinburgh areas) in the same range. Check out the books section.

Cheers for that x we love walking and will most certainly check out the books ... we are going on a motorhome tour next summer .. to tour the country and experience the walks. This week we are off to Bocastle and the Falls of Leny .. so looking forward it.
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Postby gillhowatson » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Look forward to the pictures.
Best wishes
Gillian
gillhowatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:36 pm

The Braemar glens are beautiful (desolate and haunting) and make a nice walk - they generally have landrover tracks along them to the end of the valley and are mostly flat - usually about 6 miles into the glen. The Angus glens of Clova/Doll are also beautiful and there is the wonderful old route of "Jock's Road" which you can take up onto the plateau - easy angle of climb... Welcome to the site anyway...
mountain coward

Postby zebidee1 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:53 pm

Hello there, welcome along.

:D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Postby velvet-rose » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Thank you for your welcoming replies :) :D Feeling really welcome.. I have added a couple of reports of a few walks... enjoy. As we certainly do. :lol:
velvet-rose
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...