walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi & Benvane

Ben Ledi & Benvane

Postby Frogwell » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi, Benvane

Date walked: 12/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a report from a walk done few weeks ago - my first walk of the year. Well, not actually the first walk of the year, since I walk most days round and about home, but my first walk where I got in the car and went somewhere else with the intent of walking up a hill.

I chose Ben Ledi as it's not too far from home and it would allow me to pick and achievable start time. My diet of Pringles and chocolate over the festive period did nothing for my fitness levels, so a rapid ascent saw me drenched in sweat, making me by far the sweatiest, slightly pudgy, balding ginger on Ledi that day. Just as well I met no women on the hill or I'd have been fending them off with with both walking poles.

I got to the top of Ledi in a little under an hour and half, not even remotely surprised by the high winds, occasional snow flurry and passing thick cloud cover in contrast the MWIS tarot reading of low wind, cloudless skies and no precipitation. Given that it wasn't even midday I thought I'd add Benvane to the score sheet, it looked like it would be an easy enough amble. Of course what can't be seen from a distance is the endless bog. So, over 90 minutes of zigzagging through said endless bog later and I'm at the top of Benvane. Took a snap or two and headed back through the bog. As per standard operating procedure less care was taken on the return and I pretty much ploughed straight through much of the bog.

Walking through the forest on the way down at dusk was not a whole lot of fun given the recent storms have brought down an awful lot of tress over the path, but I got back to the car without the need for the torch and back home in time for dinner.

That's about all there is to say about that walk. Not the most inspiring pair of hills to be honest. Benvane I found a bit better than Ledi, but I don't think I'd bother doing either again.

Given my relative lack of interest, I didn't take many pictures of bother trying to find interesting compositions, I just snapped as I went - so, pictures to prove I was there:

Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Ledi & Benvane

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Ha ha ha :lol: Great report! I've been walking for the past 47 years but I'm sure you're much better at it than me :( :(

Are you sure I didn't meet you yesterday? Because there was a guy fitting that very description coming off Beinn a Chroin and he was very coy when I asked him if he was on Walkhighlands. Or maybe he was frightened of a wild looking woman walking down the middle of a river and then clambering up onto a bridge :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 pm

I really enjoyed Ben Ledi although I think that was partly because I managed to get good weather. I'll have to go back and do Benvane.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby magicdin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:54 pm

I've been up Ben Ledi a few times (8) and Ben Vane a couple of times but have never linked them
The last time I was on Ben Vane another walker arrived at the cairn having come over from Ben Ledi
To say he hadn't enjoyed the walk was an understatement to say the least, and he was dreading the walk back
That coupled with your TR - I don't think I will ever go for this double :D
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Great shots as always Frogwell though I'm not sure I share your 'one time only' view of these two, from your pics it looks to have some cracking views :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alan S » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Have always fancied this route but only ever managed ben ledi.
Nice pics as usual 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Dave Hewitt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Nice pics. A good way up Ledi is to take the Stank path to the obvious white marker post at the big boulder, then go up the side of the burn (faint path if you’re lucky) past the huge howff-boulders (worth a diversion) to the lip of the hanging corrie beneath the summit. Then go up the short east ridge on to the north end of the summit ridge.
There are some sneaky and not-too-bad ways up/down the east side of Benvane, through the forest without too much thrash, but they’re hard to describe – it’s a case of following your nose.
One time when I was on Benvane was a glorious Saturday in June 1996. There were a few out in the morning but around lunchtime it went completely quiet, despite the great weather. We knew the reason, however – was the day of the England–Scotland game in Euro 96, the day Gazza scored that goal…
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Frogwell » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Thanks for the comments :)

pollyh33 wrote:Ha ha ha :lol: Great report! I've been walking for the past 47 years but I'm sure you're much better at it than me :( :(

Are you sure I didn't meet you yesterday? Because there was a guy fitting that very description coming off Beinn a Chroin and he was very coy when I asked him if he was on Walkhighlands. Or maybe he was frightened of a wild looking woman walking down the middle of a river and then clambering up onto a bridge :shock: :shock:
I doubt I'm better at walking than you, you seem to be out about five times as much as me, plus of course you do all that running nonsense. Then again, I try not to fall over that often :lol:

I'm liking your non traditional approach to bridge usage, but yes, I'm sure you gave the poor guy a fright - wild things appearing from under bridges demanding to know what websites you frequent? I'd have done a runner! :D
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby John Doe » Thu May 03, 2012 12:45 am

Wow, these are amazing! You're good at using the camera, capture the dynamics and all that shiz 8)
John Doe

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland