walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snow on Chno Dearg

Snow on Chno Dearg

Postby Redrock » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:51 am

Route description: Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain

Munros included on this walk: Chno Dearg, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 13/01/2012

Time taken: 7.7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1018m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Munros I have still to climb are getting further away from the central belt - so it was up early and a long drive up the A9 then along Glen Spean so that I could tackle Stob Coire Sgriodain and Chno Dearg on what I hoped would be a fine winter's day. The forecast was good and I was hopeful of excellent conditions - but I have been disappointed before! :lol: I set off from the fine wee hamlet of Fersit at about 9:30am.

P1080922.JPG
Leaving Fresit

There was a group of walkers, also from Fife, set off about the same time as me - and I was to cross paths with them a few times on my journey. Going east through Fersit, I was soon out on the open moor and I could see Sron na Garbh-bheinne, my route to the summit of Stob Coire Sgriodain, rising up to the south.

P1080924.JPG
Sron na Garbh-bheinne

I made steady progress over the partly frozen boggy landscape (but not quite frozen enough to take my weight! :lol:) Soon I was looking up at the imposing prow of Sron na Garbh-bheinne. I was getting close to 600 metres and the snow beds were getting more extensive. It looked like I would soon have to tackle snow on the climb onto the ridge! I headed for the gully just to the left of centre which seemed a likely way up!

P1080929.JPG
Towards the ridge

To the west there were great views of the Easains.

P1080932.JPG
The Easains Ridge

Behind me Creag Meagaidh stood out boldly in the clear air.

P1080931.JPG
Creag Meagaidh

Heading up the gully, I soon discovered that there was a fair build up of snow at its head. I decided to cut a few steps with the ice axe across a narrow section on the east side and then I scrambled up the bank onto easier ground above. The other group of walkers donned crampons at the foot of the snow and made their way up the steep bank.

P1080935.JPG
Climbing the gully

Soon I had the crampons on myself as it became easier to use the snow slopes as my route onto the ridge. The snow was an ideal consistency - firm enough to take my weight but yielding enough for a good grip with the crampons (very different to my experience on Sgiath Chuil the previous week! :D ). Higher up I came across some fresh boot prints (and maybe a dog's paw prints) which suggested there might be less icy ways up!

The ground became progressively whiter as I approached the summit of Stob Coire Sgriodain. The sunshine was glorious! :D

P1080937.JPG
Towards the summit of Stob Coire Sgriodain

The summit proved to be an amazing place and I lingered there a while.

P1080946.JPG
At the summit - Stob Coire Sgriodain

Loch Treig lay far below beyond a tumble of broken boulders.

P1080939.JPG
Loch Treig

The twin peaks of Stob Coire Easain and Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin rose up proudly to the west.

P1080945.JPG
Stob Coire Easain and Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin

Beinn a' Chlachair and its partners looked impressive to the north-east.

P1080949.JPG
Beinn a' Chlachair

Whilst Chno Dearg - my next Munro of the day - looked a much gentler hill to the east.

P1080941.JPG
Chno Dearg

My way forward was along the ridge south east from the summit - towards the south top of Stob Coire Sgriodain. It proved to be complex ground with hummocks and minor ridges running at an angle to the main ridge. I imagine it could be challenging in poor visibility! But today it was beautifully clear!

P1080953.JPG
Towards the south top of Stob Coire Sgriodain

Heading along the Easains looked impressive.

P1080957.JPG
The Easains

And there were some good views towards Glencoe to the south.

P1080959.JPG
Towards Glencoe

The snowfields gave great walking for crampons.

P1080969.JPG
Snowfields

But I can't help feeling that I look like an old man with a walking stick coming across the snow! Well if the cap fits - wear it! :lol:

P1080972.JPG
Walking on snow

From the col I headed off the regular route to take in the Munro Top of Meall Garbh. I was rewarded with views of Ben Nevis emerging from behind the Easains.

P1080986.JPG
Ben Nevis and the Easains

Schiehallion showed up well to the south-east.

P1080985.JPG
Schiehallion

I was at the top of Meall Garbh (I try to visit the Munro Tops too when it is practicable - but it tends to make for a longer day! :D ) - but I still had Chno Dearg waiting in the background to be climbed.

P1080990.JPG
On top of Meall Garbh

Chno Dearg has a bit of a reputation for being a rounded and rather boring hill but I've always rather liked the sound of the name. Perhaps it is best climbed in winter. As I walked towards it I noticed evidence of a past avalanche. "It can't be that tame a hill if it can do avalanches" I thought. Perhaps in another few thousand years it could have a fine corrie on its east side! (But perhaps that will need another ice age to complete! :D )

P1080992.JPG
Approaching Chno Dearg

As I started my ascent of Chno Dearg I noticed the other group of walkers following me up the slopes.

P1090003.JPG
Walkers below

It didn't take long to reach the summit dome with views towards the Easains and the Grey Corries opening up.

P1090008.JPG
The Easains and the Grey Corries

It was time to perch myself on the cairn and pretend for the camera that I had been sitting there for ages.

P1090012.JPG
The summit of Chno Dearg

But time was pressing on - it was time to head home. The snow fields north of the summit provided a good route down with crampons on my feet.
Last edited by Redrock on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Snow on Chno Dearg

Postby Redrock » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:11 am

And to continue

Glen Spean and Loch Laggan looked fine in the late afternoon light.

P1090018.JPG
Glen Spean and Loch Laggan

By now the day was moving on and the sun was setting over the ridge of Stob Coire Sgriodain.

P1090022.JPG
Sunet over Stob Coire Sgriodain

Creag Meagaidh was a fine sight in the sunset light as I made my way quickly down the mountain.

P1090024.JPG
Creag Meagaidh at sunset

Soon I was below the snow line and looking back at the ridge that had started my day. I was intrigued by the burn which actually split and went two directions below the waterfall. It rather confused me and left me crossing more than I needed to. I also learned a handy lesson - stand on the rocks just below the water in freezing weather - those above will be covered in ice and are deadly to stand on! :lol:

P1090028.JPG
Waterfall on Allt Chaorach Beag

I was down to the path above Fersit with just enough light to see my way. I made my way through the village in the fading light and arrived back at the car a little after 5pm. What a day it had been! You don't get days like this very often and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it! And I'd got my timing just about right this time too! So all in all it was a great day on the hills! :D :D :D I'd love more days like these! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:24 am

Fine report and pics Redrock, lovely to see the mountains with that top covering of snow, what a fantastic day in the hills in perfect weather :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alastair S » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:57 am

That looks like a grand day right enough :thumbup:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 am

Cracking report and fine pics...... oh the cold and sunny Winter day :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Redrock » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks everyone. It's good to be able to share a cracking winter's day - for once! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Great report Redrock,
A great start to the year for you, hills in January this year - we're doing well!
:D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Redrock » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Och aye, Bod. We have to start kicking up the white stuff again! :D Cheers! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Alan S » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Great report redrock :D
You just cannae whack they pics of loch treig 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Great set of photos Redrock. It was pea soup when i was up there. Is that real Chno :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby Redrock » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:17 pm

alan s wrote:Great report redrock :D
You just cannae whack they pics of loch treig 8)

Aye, it's a great place, Alan. It's just like looking down on a fjord - I imagine! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Redrock » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 pm

monty wrote:Great set of photos Redrock. It was pea soup when i was up there. Is that real Chno :lol: :lol:

Chno, really! :lol: :lol: It's so much better when you can see the views, Monty! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Blue Bear » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Great report RedRock and excellent pictures- I was one of the guys you met that day on the hills and the whole report certainly captured what a brilliant day we had.It was good to get some winter training done on the gulley although my calfs might feel different:lol :lol: : Keep up the good work and we might see you on another :lol: :thumbup:
Blue Bear
Bird-watcher

Munros:86   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Redrock » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Cheers, Blue Bear! It was a great day, wasn't it - and it's great fun honing the old winter skills (but of course I cheated a bit on the gully and avoided the snow!) :lol: I wish we could get more days like that - but more often the clag is waiting up there to spoil things! :lol: I've still got the two on the other side of Loch Trieg to do - so I'll be up there again some day. Maybe see you out on another hill another time! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Great report & pics. Can't wait to do these hills
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland